Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

MDuncan8
Membre

Deleting Selected Records

Résolue

Hi - 

I'm trying to remove the majority of the records (company and associated contacts) from our DB while only leaving select records of current customers and active opportunities. For the records being removed, I need to export them to a spreadsheet (for some reason "Export View" is greyed out). 

Anyone have any best practices to do this efficiently (and how to solve the "Export View" problem)? Thanks!

0 Votes
1 Solution acceptée
karstenkoehler
Solution
Au panthéon de la communauté | Partenaire solutions

Résolue

Hi @MDuncan8,

The fact that you cannot export records is related to your permissions in your HubSpot portal. Export access can be enabled or disabled for users by a super admin and it seems like this is what's happening here. I'd recommend reaching out to your super admin to request the additional permission.

Regarding your question on contact deletion, you'd have to define first what "current customers and active opportunities" means exactly for you. Usually, that would be contacts with "Lifecycle stage is any of Opportunity or Customer". However, you might also consider previous lifecycle stages (Leads, MQLs, SQLs) as active. Before deleting any records, I'd make 100% sure that you've got the criteria right. Also keep data quality in mind: Not every user is maintaining records perfectly, some contacts might be a customer but not have the corresponding Lifecycle stage.

Once you've defined these criteria, you can create active lists for those contacts and companies. Navigate to Menu > Contacts > Lists and create an active contact-based list, followed by a company-based list with the same criteria:

karstenkoehler_0-1623817484921.png

Armed with these two lists, you can now navigate to Menu > Contacts > Contacts, find the "More filters" button, click it and filter for "List membership is none of [the contact list that you just created]". These would be the contacts that you want to export and then delete.

You can then switch to Menu > Contacts > Companies and repeat the same steps, filter for "List membership is none of [the company list that you just created]".

If you want an export file that includes both contact and company information (in one file), you'd have to create an active list filtering for "Lifecycle stage is none of Opportunity or Customer". In the list editor, you'll have more exporting options: You can include company properties in the file, something that is not possible when exporting from the contacts home:

karstenkoehler_1-1623817737343.png

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

2 Réponses
MW5
Membre

Résolue

I'm new to HubSpot but I had the greyed out problem with deleting records and by trial and error found this. View contacts, select check box for one, some or all (you can only do 100 per page and I had 4543 !!) then where it displays 100 or whatever number, click in that box and type 100 and hey presto the delete button activates. Hope that helps someone HAGD

0 Votes
karstenkoehler
Solution

Résolue

Hi @MDuncan8,

The fact that you cannot export records is related to your permissions in your HubSpot portal. Export access can be enabled or disabled for users by a super admin and it seems like this is what's happening here. I'd recommend reaching out to your super admin to request the additional permission.

Regarding your question on contact deletion, you'd have to define first what "current customers and active opportunities" means exactly for you. Usually, that would be contacts with "Lifecycle stage is any of Opportunity or Customer". However, you might also consider previous lifecycle stages (Leads, MQLs, SQLs) as active. Before deleting any records, I'd make 100% sure that you've got the criteria right. Also keep data quality in mind: Not every user is maintaining records perfectly, some contacts might be a customer but not have the corresponding Lifecycle stage.

Once you've defined these criteria, you can create active lists for those contacts and companies. Navigate to Menu > Contacts > Lists and create an active contact-based list, followed by a company-based list with the same criteria:

karstenkoehler_0-1623817484921.png

Armed with these two lists, you can now navigate to Menu > Contacts > Contacts, find the "More filters" button, click it and filter for "List membership is none of [the contact list that you just created]". These would be the contacts that you want to export and then delete.

You can then switch to Menu > Contacts > Companies and repeat the same steps, filter for "List membership is none of [the company list that you just created]".

If you want an export file that includes both contact and company information (in one file), you'd have to create an active list filtering for "Lifecycle stage is none of Opportunity or Customer". In the list editor, you'll have more exporting options: You can include company properties in the file, something that is not possible when exporting from the contacts home:

karstenkoehler_1-1623817737343.png

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.