Dealing with the rigidity of personalisation tokens

Highlighted
Top Contributor | Gold Partner

This is particularly a problem with the fallback for First Name as some emails may prefer a different fallback to others - yet a compromised middle ground must be found that fits for all.

I have not beena ble to come up with a better 'one size fits all' solution than:

Hi {{First Name}}[Fallback=there],

Whereas in some cases it might be preferable to use more precise fallbacks such as Dear customer etc etc.

In other solutions (Act-On as an example) you are able to set the fallback for personalisation tokens on an email by email basis, thus allowing you to have a fallback for empty fields more suited to the particular message.

Something that could be improved?

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
Highlighted
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Yes. This is a bit of a challenge as the fallback is for all uses of that token. We use a very simple one like Friend or Client as the fallback... though not perfect, seems to work fine.

Top Contributor | Gold Partner

Apologies for removing this as the solution (I did not mark it as one?) - I see you use a similar approach to myself and have the same issues, it works, but personalisation could be so much better if we could do so by email, rather than globally - ie dear *event name* attendee, - which didn't then confuse anyone receiving our normal personalised automated emails!

more of an area for improvement for HubSpot than anything we can resolve now!

Thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts,

Joe

0 Upvotes