Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

ogat

Database decisions between companies and contacts for Solopreneurs

SOLVE

Hello all,

I am starting a brand new database with a web app that is aimed for Music professionals.

Independent Artists, Agents and Event Organisers. 

For the email forms collected on my marketing website, I gather email, full name and types listed above (artists, etc).

The decision I have to make is: Should I consider Artists as contacts or companies?
These are small upcoming artists who don't even have an agent nor a website - and mostly Djs so 1 person.

The challenge is when you consider a band, which has several members. I assume in this case only a company would fit?

On top of that, most of these I only have an Artist name so I created a custom field for that. Most of these are also Artists and run events as well, sometimes also an agent so 3 types in one. 

For best database practices and enhanced usability further down the line, would you recommend creating a company for every single entry - even though 80% of them will be a single person?

Thanks in advance

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Does this post help you? If so, then help others by accepting it as a 'solution' (HubSpot word).

Q: For best database practices and enhanced usability further down the line, would you recommend creating a company for every single entry - even though 80% of them will be a single person??

Short A: n/a

Longer A:

Totally your call based on your unique needs, just maybe consider ...

Even a solo artist eventually works for a 'company' even if that eventually means their own company. And, many solo artists end up working for other artists (via the supervising artist company).

Following that reasoning, and since HubSpot is a contact-centric Sales & Marketing & Service tool you may wish to setup artists as Contacts. And, to keep it simple at first, only setup a corresponding company for them if and when necessary to do so.

Finally, consider that, in HubSpot tools we don't 'talk' to Companies. We talk to Contacts. This means we send sales, marketing, and service emails to Contacts (not companies), so even if you opt to refer to each of your artists as a 'company', you will also have to enter them as a Contact if you ever intend to communicate with them via the tool (e.g., email, call, meeting, etc.).

Just a thought.

Good luck with your project.

Does that help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this 'solution'.

Best,
Frank

Please add @MFrankJohnson to your message if you'd like me to reply.

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

#nlmtt

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Does this post help you? If so, then help others by accepting it as a 'solution' (HubSpot word).

Q: For best database practices and enhanced usability further down the line, would you recommend creating a company for every single entry - even though 80% of them will be a single person??

Short A: n/a

Longer A:

Totally your call based on your unique needs, just maybe consider ...

Even a solo artist eventually works for a 'company' even if that eventually means their own company. And, many solo artists end up working for other artists (via the supervising artist company).

Following that reasoning, and since HubSpot is a contact-centric Sales & Marketing & Service tool you may wish to setup artists as Contacts. And, to keep it simple at first, only setup a corresponding company for them if and when necessary to do so.

Finally, consider that, in HubSpot tools we don't 'talk' to Companies. We talk to Contacts. This means we send sales, marketing, and service emails to Contacts (not companies), so even if you opt to refer to each of your artists as a 'company', you will also have to enter them as a Contact if you ever intend to communicate with them via the tool (e.g., email, call, meeting, etc.).

Just a thought.

Good luck with your project.

Does that help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this 'solution'.

Best,
Frank

Please add @MFrankJohnson to your message if you'd like me to reply.

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

#nlmtt

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com