Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

phtheref
Participant

Customer contact Form for checking saved data to the HS

SOLVE

Hi!

What would be easiet & best practise way to create form where customer contact can see (properties I'd like them to see) property fields what are stored to the HS and modify those information if needed (self service).

Is it a right way to create contact form with option "Pre-populate contact fields with known values" or something else?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @phtheref,

Pre-populating a form with known values requires certain conditions to be met, you can find them here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/forms/form-fields-pre-populated-with-your-own-or-someone-else-s-inform...

One of them is that a visitor has previously submitted a HubSpot form using the same device. If that's not the case, this won't work.

Another approach is to pass parameters through to the landing page. For example, if someone clicked on this link, landingpage.com/?firstname=Jane, a form that's placed on landingpage.com would be pre-filled in the First name field with "Jane".

Personalization tokens also work in URLs as long as you follow the correct syntax: {{ contact.internalpropertyname }}

So in the example above, a form would always be pre-filled with the first name (if available) when the URL looks like this: landingpage.com/?firstname={{ contact.firstname }}

You can then chain fields by adding an ampersand: landingpage.com/?firstname={{ contact.firstname }}&lastname={{ contact.lastname }}

I also explained this here, including where to find the internal property name.

This approach would pre-fill the form regardless of whether a form was submitted previously.

Keep in mind that this might cause privacy issues. Some who is forwarded an email, for example, would have all of that information.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
phtheref
Participant

SOLVE

Thx for this... So... there is not a good way to do that (because of privacy issues with gdpr with pre-filled information).

Have to manage this "old way"... Ask relevant information every time when customer have to fill form.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @phtheref,

Pre-populating a form with known values requires certain conditions to be met, you can find them here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/forms/form-fields-pre-populated-with-your-own-or-someone-else-s-inform...

One of them is that a visitor has previously submitted a HubSpot form using the same device. If that's not the case, this won't work.

Another approach is to pass parameters through to the landing page. For example, if someone clicked on this link, landingpage.com/?firstname=Jane, a form that's placed on landingpage.com would be pre-filled in the First name field with "Jane".

Personalization tokens also work in URLs as long as you follow the correct syntax: {{ contact.internalpropertyname }}

So in the example above, a form would always be pre-filled with the first name (if available) when the URL looks like this: landingpage.com/?firstname={{ contact.firstname }}

You can then chain fields by adding an ampersand: landingpage.com/?firstname={{ contact.firstname }}&lastname={{ contact.lastname }}

I also explained this here, including where to find the internal property name.

This approach would pre-fill the form regardless of whether a form was submitted previously.

Keep in mind that this might cause privacy issues. Some who is forwarded an email, for example, would have all of that information.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.