Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

LAryan

Custom Property or Timeline Event

SOLVE

Hi there,

We want to push data from Segment to Hubspot. In Segment, we have some important events like agent dashboard visits, campaign created, campaign started, billable, etc. that I want to track in Hubspot. All these events are recurring events and I want to track them every time it occurs. Should I create custom properties for each or pass all these events through timeline events?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
christopher-RVO
Solution
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

@LAryan  Great question! 

I would recommend setting these as custom properties because the data points you defined sound like very actionable behaviors. Setting these as custom properties allows you to use them in workflows to trigger emails, notifications, etc. 

Timeline events can theoretically do the same thing, but you will have a lot more flexibility with pulling the events at a certain point in time as a custom property. 

Christopher Barnett - VP of Revenue at Aptitude 8

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
christopher-RVO
Solution

SOLVE

@LAryan  Great question! 

I would recommend setting these as custom properties because the data points you defined sound like very actionable behaviors. Setting these as custom properties allows you to use them in workflows to trigger emails, notifications, etc. 

Timeline events can theoretically do the same thing, but you will have a lot more flexibility with pulling the events at a certain point in time as a custom property. 

Christopher Barnett - VP of Revenue at Aptitude 8