Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

LizaMischel
Participant

Creating a record of property changes

Résolue

I'd like to create a "Marketing Notes" property and have a record of all those property changes easily seen by our sales team. 

They won't go into the property history for each one.

Example:

Lead Downloaded Asset #1 on Dec 12 2020

Marketing Notes: This lead downloaded asset #1 about xyz

Same Lead Downloaded Asset #2 March 10 2022
Marketing Notes: This lead downloaded asset #2 about abc.

So when you go to the contact in HubSpot you will see 2 fields:

Marketing Notes:
This lead downloaded asset #2 about abc.

Marketing Note Log:
12/12/20 - This lead downloaded asset #1 about xyz
3/10/22 - This lead downloaded asset #2 about abc.

So I want a record of all changes and the day they were changed.

0 Votes
3 Solutions acceptées
ChrisoKlepke
Solution
Conseiller clé | Partenaire solutions Elite

Résolue

Hey @LizaMischel , 

I think this can be done with Operations Hub Professional, and it's custom code workflow actions. Is there any chance you have license for it?

Cheers, 

Chriso

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

Jnix284
Solution
Membre irremplaçable | Partenaire solutions Diamond

Résolue

Hi @LizaMischel are you hoping for this to be automated, like setting the marketing notes/log property through a workflow? or are you imagining your marketing team to manually update these properties?

If you're trying manual first, one thing you could test is to have the marketing team put the information in a note, then they can pin the note to the top of the contact record to easily find and update later. Once the lead converts, marketing can change the association of the note to include the deal.

I'm going to edit my reply here to clarify my intention - that if your team is small enough to do this manually, and it will increase the likelihood that your sales team become adopters of the platform, it would be worth the effort until they are better able to navigate the activity feed, properties, etc.

There are many teams that struggle with aligning sales and marketing, sometimes because the marketing side can seem complex to sales and they don't know where to go, and this method of spoon-feeding information can be helpful in overcoming the hurdle. Sometimes marketing has to get scrappy to help hold sales accountable to their SLA (hopefully you have one of these, maybe it is something you need to modify to help make sales more accountable).

Obviously, if you are a large organization with a large team and large volume of leads, this is not going to work. I was going off of the assumption that you might be a smaller team because you aren't running Operations Hub Professional. 

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

karstenkoehler
Solution
Au panthéon de la communauté | Partenaire solutions

Résolue

Hi @LizaMischel,

I would echo the suggestion by @ChrisoKlepke, the activity timeline contains this information, only that it's presented in a different way.

There are ways to custom code this, as @ChrisoKlepke has already pointed out, but I'd recommend not going down that path and instead enabling the sales team to get more familiar with the HubSpot way of doing things.

This is important because the activity feed is connected with other tools, the note would not be. If sales reps only look at that note, they would lose the ability to:

• click through a form submission entry in the timeline to see the landing page
  • correctly associate activities with additional records
  • comment on activities and tag colleagues

In other words, you'll get more value out of the tool and potentially better alignment with sales.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

6 Réponses
Jnix284
Solution

Résolue

Hi @LizaMischel are you hoping for this to be automated, like setting the marketing notes/log property through a workflow? or are you imagining your marketing team to manually update these properties?

If you're trying manual first, one thing you could test is to have the marketing team put the information in a note, then they can pin the note to the top of the contact record to easily find and update later. Once the lead converts, marketing can change the association of the note to include the deal.

I'm going to edit my reply here to clarify my intention - that if your team is small enough to do this manually, and it will increase the likelihood that your sales team become adopters of the platform, it would be worth the effort until they are better able to navigate the activity feed, properties, etc.

There are many teams that struggle with aligning sales and marketing, sometimes because the marketing side can seem complex to sales and they don't know where to go, and this method of spoon-feeding information can be helpful in overcoming the hurdle. Sometimes marketing has to get scrappy to help hold sales accountable to their SLA (hopefully you have one of these, maybe it is something you need to modify to help make sales more accountable).

Obviously, if you are a large organization with a large team and large volume of leads, this is not going to work. I was going off of the assumption that you might be a smaller team because you aren't running Operations Hub Professional. 

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

ChrisoKlepke
Solution

Résolue

Hey @LizaMischel , 

I think this can be done with Operations Hub Professional, and it's custom code workflow actions. Is there any chance you have license for it?

Cheers, 

Chriso

LizaMischel
Participant

Résolue

No, I don't have that access.

ChrisoKlepke

Résolue

@LizaMischel , that's unfortunate. Then I don't think I can really help you there. 

Have you thought about other ways to surface that information to your team? Maybe though filtering the timeline to form submissions or similar? What are the issues with the visibility that you get with the timeline?

Best, 

Chriso

LizaMischel
Participant

Résolue

There is just so much info for our sales team and they don't want to have to click through the profile to get to this information

0 Votes
karstenkoehler
Solution

Résolue

Hi @LizaMischel,

I would echo the suggestion by @ChrisoKlepke, the activity timeline contains this information, only that it's presented in a different way.

There are ways to custom code this, as @ChrisoKlepke has already pointed out, but I'd recommend not going down that path and instead enabling the sales team to get more familiar with the HubSpot way of doing things.

This is important because the activity feed is connected with other tools, the note would not be. If sales reps only look at that note, they would lose the ability to:

• click through a form submission entry in the timeline to see the landing page
  • correctly associate activities with additional records
  • comment on activities and tag colleagues

In other words, you'll get more value out of the tool and potentially better alignment with sales.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.