Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Barryco

Contact moves company

SOLVE

Hi

Just wondering what is considered good practice (and is possible within HubSpot) when a contact moves from one company to another new, unrelated company.

For example a contact has been involved in a deal at one company and then moves somewhere else and you'd like to preserve and use the relationship at their new role.

You have a solid audit trail of your interactions with that person in the original company...is there a way to "transfer" that contact to the new company, or do just have to create a new contact as a clean sheet of paper and perhaps make a note in that new contact record to refer to all the good stuff you did with them at the first company and to go a look there for the history?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Contact moves company

SOLVE

Hi @Barryco,

There are different opinions on this. Personally, I'd recommend creating a new contact record as the majority of their engagement was related to their role at the previous company. (Or in other words, I wouldn't rely on segmenting or automating based on the earlier information as it might not be accurate to their new situation.)

To keep the "link" between the old and new, I'd pin a note to the top of each contact record that includes a link to the other contact record, for easy reference.

I'd also make sure that the old email address isn't being included in any marketing or sales activity anymore, either by putting it on a suppression list or opting it out of email communication – to avoid a hard bounce.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

Contact moves company

SOLVE

@Barryco - I was really happy to see @karstenkoehler had jumped on this one!  I used to merge the old contact into the new to retain the correspondence, but Karsten is absolutely right that this messes with segmentation etc.

I now use the pinned note method, with hyperlinks between the two contact records.  In the old record, I have a custom Lead Status for "left company", which ensures that (even if they somehow aren't opted out) they are no longer contacted at their old email address. 

I've been using this approach for a couple of months now and it works really well.  

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

Contact moves company

SOLVE

@Barryco - I was really happy to see @karstenkoehler had jumped on this one!  I used to merge the old contact into the new to retain the correspondence, but Karsten is absolutely right that this messes with segmentation etc.

I now use the pinned note method, with hyperlinks between the two contact records.  In the old record, I have a custom Lead Status for "left company", which ensures that (even if they somehow aren't opted out) they are no longer contacted at their old email address. 

I've been using this approach for a couple of months now and it works really well.  

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"
Barryco

Contact moves company

SOLVE
Thanks Adam....helpful. I like the "left the company" status.
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Contact moves company

SOLVE

Hi @Barryco,

There are different opinions on this. Personally, I'd recommend creating a new contact record as the majority of their engagement was related to their role at the previous company. (Or in other words, I wouldn't rely on segmenting or automating based on the earlier information as it might not be accurate to their new situation.)

To keep the "link" between the old and new, I'd pin a note to the top of each contact record that includes a link to the other contact record, for easy reference.

I'd also make sure that the old email address isn't being included in any marketing or sales activity anymore, either by putting it on a suppression list or opting it out of email communication – to avoid a hard bounce.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Barryco

Contact moves company

SOLVE
Excellent - thanks
0 Upvotes