Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

MStevenson909

CSV import / Marketing contacts

SOLVE

Hi all, 

Currently have a task whereby one of our lead providers has given us a list of contacts within their allocation, that have unsubscribed. 

We need to ideally check these against the contacts we have in hubspot, then mark them as non marketing contacts. 

The challenge is - theres over 4000 of them and doing it indivudally would take almost forever. Is there a way of a) importing and comparing against current entries, and b) then changing the matches to non marketing in one go? 

Thanks, 

1 Accepted solution
AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @MStevenson909,

When you say "comparing against current entries" - do you mean some, but not all, of these contacts already exist within HS?

This can be achieved by importing the csv and choosing to create a list from the imported contacts (see https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/import-objects - just check the Create a list of contacts from this import checkbox.

Once you have the list, you can filter your Contacts view or create a list, using List Membership as a filter.  Let's say your new import is called "ImportOctober".  Create a new Static List and choose to add a filter.  In the search box, type "list" and choose "List Membership", then select your ImportOctober list.  

Hey presto, you have a list of all contacts created by the import.  Now it's just a question of cross-referencing against HS pre-existing records.  If you wanted to see those created by the import, you could add the Contact Property > Create Date and set that to the date of your import.  Or if you wanted those NOT created by the import, you could set Create Date before the date of your import (or after).  

You could use a similar filter in Saved Views to display the same contacts, then check the checkbox to select all contacts in the view, click the "more" dropdown, then choose "set as non-marketing".  

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
AdamLPW
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @MStevenson909,

When you say "comparing against current entries" - do you mean some, but not all, of these contacts already exist within HS?

This can be achieved by importing the csv and choosing to create a list from the imported contacts (see https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/import-objects - just check the Create a list of contacts from this import checkbox.

Once you have the list, you can filter your Contacts view or create a list, using List Membership as a filter.  Let's say your new import is called "ImportOctober".  Create a new Static List and choose to add a filter.  In the search box, type "list" and choose "List Membership", then select your ImportOctober list.  

Hey presto, you have a list of all contacts created by the import.  Now it's just a question of cross-referencing against HS pre-existing records.  If you wanted to see those created by the import, you could add the Contact Property > Create Date and set that to the date of your import.  Or if you wanted those NOT created by the import, you could set Create Date before the date of your import (or after).  

You could use a similar filter in Saved Views to display the same contacts, then check the checkbox to select all contacts in the view, click the "more" dropdown, then choose "set as non-marketing".  

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"