Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

vinsuz
Miembro | Partner
Miembro | Partner

Blocking Images in Email Blocks CTA's!

resolver

I've searched both Google as well as all HubSpot knowledge bases and forums and am shocked (SHOCKED!) that I have not found one comment from anyone about the fact that email recipients only see a CTA if they choose to download images.

Why should I use a CTA in an email, especially when you consider how much email is consumed on mobile devices, which often times don't give the user control over who is a trusted sender like desktop clients do, allowing images to automatically download?

I can create a <div> with all the behavior of a CTA that shows my call-to-action without having to download images, so I don't understand why HubSpot can't create a similar CTA. Plus, the text in HubSpot CTA images looks terrible compared to HTML text IMO. Sure, it's easier to track performance of a HubSpot CTA, but that is quickly offset by the negative impact on conversions due to the lack of visibility without downloading images.

1 Soluciones aceptada
MikeCormack
Solución
Colaborador líder

resolver
I mean, technically you can rebuild a thumbnail in tables, line by line, pixel by pixel as tds. I experimented this a bit but got bored after a couple of days of rendering errors. So easy to make mistakes when coding like that, all inline...
The main problem with doing that, which is frankly ridiculous, is that to make it clickable you have to use 1px sized text and have a hyperlink for each so the code gets super huge, and you massively risk (100%) getting deliverability issues with the number of links, also the code ends up huge for a tiny effect of getting images into places they aren’t supposed to be. Also forwarding breaks it in interesting ways. There are image to html converters but the code they use isn’t stable, and I am not sure I could be bothered to build one that works just for the lols.

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

0 Me gusta
4 Respuestas 4
MikeCormack
Colaborador líder

resolver

yeah you can use tables to do this, you can even create rounded corners using a table. Divs have really varied behaviour but a good old table, will show the way you want it to. Mixing tables and divs can get interesting, you have to be super precise with the widths of eveything, and they can break on resized zooms, and also when forwarded to an extent, but they do at least show for those roughly 40% of users who don't see the images by default.

Depends on your target market, and the browsers they use, your email analytics history gives you a list of what you need to test

0 Me gusta
laurelwright
Participante

resolver

Does this also work for displaying thumbnail images of video links?

They also have to be downloaded to be seen.  HELP!

0 Me gusta
vinsuz
Miembro | Partner
Miembro | Partner

resolver

Sorry Laurel, but no. This technique is for displaying a table cell or div with a background color and the hyperlink for an action in text to give the appearance of a button. Other than downloading images, there's really no way to (essentially) embed even a thumbnail in an email.

0 Me gusta
MikeCormack
Solución
Colaborador líder

resolver
I mean, technically you can rebuild a thumbnail in tables, line by line, pixel by pixel as tds. I experimented this a bit but got bored after a couple of days of rendering errors. So easy to make mistakes when coding like that, all inline...
The main problem with doing that, which is frankly ridiculous, is that to make it clickable you have to use 1px sized text and have a hyperlink for each so the code gets super huge, and you massively risk (100%) getting deliverability issues with the number of links, also the code ends up huge for a tiny effect of getting images into places they aren’t supposed to be. Also forwarding breaks it in interesting ways. There are image to html converters but the code they use isn’t stable, and I am not sure I could be bothered to build one that works just for the lols.
0 Me gusta