Best Naming Convention Practices

Occasional Contributor

Hi HubSpot Community,

I've worked in several marketing automation platforms and I notice that all of the naming convention structures are different. I've narrowed down best practices according to our organization for the following items:

File Manager

Emails

But I'm having trouble with the best way to do naming conventions for:

Campaigns (we all know this is important since we can't change once created)

Lists

Forms

Workflows

What has worked for your teams? I've looked into every article and haven't found anything helpful. 

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Thought Leader

HubSpot Naming Convention Best Practices

Hi Elle, agreed. Information on this is sparse (to say the least).

This post about the use of HubSpot campaigns to 'manage' HubSpot workflows isn't about naming conventions per se, but it may be helpful. As independent HubSpot consultants we work lots of portals and need to be able to quickly identify our work once it gets mixed into the day-to-day in-house HubSpot insanity. Smiley Happy

We typically begin our naming with zMFJLabs while in development, then re-name to whatever standard the client prefers. [Of course, this doesn't apply to HubSpot campaigns (for reasons you originally noted).] If the client has no standards, we give them some!

Other than that, it has become monumentally more difficult to organize HubSpot lists since HubSpot removed the left folder pane last year (see this post). - see image

hubspot-smart-lists-old-view.png

Now the names have to include and additional identifier just to help locate them in large portals. And, of course, this applies to workflows, forms, and CTAs as well.

A real pain, but nothing we haven't worked around. Hope that helps.

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution now.

Happy Holiday

Best,
Frank

Author, the Perfect HubSpot Series

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your response. 

0 Upvotes
Community Thought Leader

Your welcome Elle. Please mark as solved.

Thanks

#nlmtt, #nlmtu

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hello @MFrankJohnson although you answered to this post, it still did not solve my question. So I won't be marking this as resolved. Thanks! 

0 Upvotes