Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

SophiaMadden

Associating contacts to company only if the account exist in SFDC

SOLVE

Hi, I am looking to achieve 2 things within my Hubspot platform and Salesforce platform: 

(1) I would like to associate contacts to companies based on their domain (using their email address) ONLY IF the account exist in Salesforce.

(2) If an account does NOT exist in SFDC or if a contact enters their personal email (eg. gmail, hotmail, etc.), I would like to add them to a placeholder account.

What is the best way to achieve that? Any recommendations?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Crystal_Hopper
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@SophiaMadden I've not seen the ability to interupt Hubspot's automatic building and association of a company record to a contact record. When a new contact record comes in and the domain is non-generic, then they auto build a company record if none exists. This isn't something we all setup, it is just something Hubspot has always done. 

You'd have to go through manually and unassociate a contact with a company record to get the records to the state you want them. I don't even see a way using Workflows that you could automate the disassociation of Contacts and Companies based on any criteria. 

I'm not even sure about using a Placeholder Company Record for the yahoo and gmail type domains. Hubspot just ignores those domains as generic and non-corporate. The best you could possibly do to collect them all is build a List that is looking for those domains and collects all the records for you. From a List you could derive other automation to deal with them. Did you have a specific reason for wanting to associate them to a placeholder account?

Did my post solve the questions or challenge? Please mark it as a solution for others to find.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Crystal_Hopper
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@SophiaMadden I've not seen the ability to interupt Hubspot's automatic building and association of a company record to a contact record. When a new contact record comes in and the domain is non-generic, then they auto build a company record if none exists. This isn't something we all setup, it is just something Hubspot has always done. 

You'd have to go through manually and unassociate a contact with a company record to get the records to the state you want them. I don't even see a way using Workflows that you could automate the disassociation of Contacts and Companies based on any criteria. 

I'm not even sure about using a Placeholder Company Record for the yahoo and gmail type domains. Hubspot just ignores those domains as generic and non-corporate. The best you could possibly do to collect them all is build a List that is looking for those domains and collects all the records for you. From a List you could derive other automation to deal with them. Did you have a specific reason for wanting to associate them to a placeholder account?

Did my post solve the questions or challenge? Please mark it as a solution for others to find.