Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

LHögemark

Actions in workflows depending on forms respons

SOLVE

Hi, 

I'm new to Hubspot and learning about workflows and forms, and have a question... 

I'm setting up a workflow for an award contest. I have created a form where people can nominate someone in 4 different categories. 

I now would like to send an automated email to the nominees after they have been nominated. For this, I have figured out I can use the contact property "Nominee Email" and set up a workflow based on this email address, right? But, if possible I would also like to include a personal token in the automated email, stating what category they are nominated for. Is this possible to attract from the form and into the email? 

If this is not possible, a different solution could be to set up different emails for each of the categories, so whenever someone nominates someone for each category, a different email is sent out to the nominee, based on what category they are nominated for, if that makes sence. Is this possible at all? 

Any help or advice on how to best solve this in an automated kind of way is truly appreciated 🙂 

Many thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LHögemark,

Happy to help here.

Generally, it's not possible to send external marketing emails to any other field than the default Email address field. If you're enrolling contacts into a workflow based on the nominee email address, HubSpot will still send the email to the default Email field.

If you want to send emails to the nominees, you should first create a contact record for the nominated person in your workflow. You can use the Create record workflow action to create a contact record for the nominee first. In this action, you can populate the Email of the contact record about to be created by using a personalization token for Nominee email.

karstenkoehler_0-1673369870296.png

When creating this new record, I'd recommend setting an additional property value (by clicking Add more properties) and immediately flagging this new contact as a nominee.

If you want to pass on the nomination category, then you can do so via Add more properties, too. I assume that the nomination category is stored on the original contact. That means that this field is also available for the new contact. You can filter your newly created contacts by this field again.

You can then create a separate workflow that picks up these newly created nominee contacts and sends an automated email to them.

As a side note (this reply does not constitute legal advice), the nominees have not consented into their data being processed or into being emailed – potentially worth checking with your legal team to make sure you're not violating GDPR.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions! Happy to elaborate.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LHögemark,

Happy to help here.

Generally, it's not possible to send external marketing emails to any other field than the default Email address field. If you're enrolling contacts into a workflow based on the nominee email address, HubSpot will still send the email to the default Email field.

If you want to send emails to the nominees, you should first create a contact record for the nominated person in your workflow. You can use the Create record workflow action to create a contact record for the nominee first. In this action, you can populate the Email of the contact record about to be created by using a personalization token for Nominee email.

karstenkoehler_0-1673369870296.png

When creating this new record, I'd recommend setting an additional property value (by clicking Add more properties) and immediately flagging this new contact as a nominee.

If you want to pass on the nomination category, then you can do so via Add more properties, too. I assume that the nomination category is stored on the original contact. That means that this field is also available for the new contact. You can filter your newly created contacts by this field again.

You can then create a separate workflow that picks up these newly created nominee contacts and sends an automated email to them.

As a side note (this reply does not constitute legal advice), the nominees have not consented into their data being processed or into being emailed – potentially worth checking with your legal team to make sure you're not violating GDPR.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions! Happy to elaborate.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

LHögemark

SOLVE

Thank you Karsten, for your kind help! 
I tried setting this up with your guidance above but can't get my second workflow to run. I have attached some pics, maybe you can see where I go wrong?

Workflow 1 - Create recordWorkflow 1 - Create recordWorkflow 2 for sending emails to the nomineeWorkflow 2 for sending emails to the nominee

Many thanks!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LHögemark,

It looks like you skipped this step:

In other words, you would create a custom checkbox property Nominee. In step 1 of your first workflow, you would include this property in the contact creation and set the box to ticked/checked.

Your second workflow currently does not work because the nominated contact was never enrolled in the first workflow. Only the nominating contact was.

The second workflow would enroll contacts when 'Nominee is known'.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler