Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

kaburke
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

A Step by Step Guide to setting up your SFDC integration

lösung

I created the below as a project for one of my customers and within days, I was sharing it and changing it for multiple customers of mine so I wanted to share the non-personalized one here.  This is the bare bones for setting up a simple HubSpot/Salesforce Integration.  If you require assistance for a more convoluted set up you can purchase time with a technical consultant as outlined here.

Buckle up, boys and girls.....

giphy.gif

STEP ONE:  Calibrate API limits

• Find out from your SFDC admin:
    • What other tools are integrated with your SFDC instance?
    • What is your API limit on the SFDC side.
    • As this is a HubSpot built integration, we do not have any limits applied however this will impact your SFDC API limit so it is important that you allocate the correct amount to HubSpot so that all other integrations can work at the same time.

STEP TWO:  Define your HubSpot to Salesforce Journey

• What does a good SFDC lead look like to your sales team?  Using this criteria you need to build your inclusion list which will act as the barrier for records in HubSpot that want to access SFDC
  • What happens when a new record is created in HubSpot that either exists in SFDC or not?  Create a lead or a Contact in SFDC?
  • How are your State and Country fields managed in SFDC?  Should the integration match to the SFDC default values?

The most common journey tends to be:

HubSpot creates a lead record --->>Sales convert into a contact ----> which automatically creates an Account ----> and an Opportunity

STEP THREE:  Defining your SFDC to HubSpot journey

Your options for the below are:

1. Create or update the contact in HubSpot OR Do nothing
  2. Delete the contact in HubSpot OR do nothing

a. When a SFDC lead is created or updated: Which option from number 1?

b. When a SFDC lead is deleted: Which option from number 2?

a. When a SFDC contact is created or deleted: Which option from number 1?

b. When a SFDC contact is deleted: Which option from number 2?

Do you want the contact's opportunity stage in SFDC to Update the HubSpot contact's lifecycle stage?

Identify in each object what HubSpot Property should sync in to what Salesforce field and what the rule should be.  See helpful excel here for when you are planning these rules.  If you want to use this excel, please select file > ‘Make Copy’.

AF614F0B-702E-4E95-8488-238FA25D59F4.GIF

Make sure that the fields are compatible, you can see a helpful table here

Any Hierarchy of parent to child relationships?  You may need to discuss this with your Account Manager/a Technical Consultant.

Remember Quality over quantity!  Does the sales team REALLY need this information?

Create field mapping rules

HubSpot contacts will sync to Salesforce leads/contacts - you cannot turn this off

HS companies sync to SFDC accounts - you can choose to turn this on or off

HS deals sync to SFDC opportunities - you can choose to turn this on or off

HS activities sync to SFDC tasks - you can choose to turn this on or off

Decide on mapping rules (two-way vs SF preference etc.)

STEP FOUR:  Inclusion Filters

HS --> SFDC sync: set up an inclusion list

Recommended:  Create a model of particular actions updating the lifecycle stage of a contact.  When the contact meets a particular lifecycle stage (eg. MQL) they are entered into the SFDC inclusion list and then synced into SFDC. Once in SFDC they will begin the creation of records process.  

SFDC --> HS sync: auto-creation settings, manual import, selective sync

What records need to come into HubSpot?  Do you need to limit access with selective sync?

If you want to use SFDC as your source of truth for objects then perhaps it would be worthwhile deleting all of the companies in HubSpot (after you have made sure all relevant data is needed) and then import the SFDC records.  

I would recommend that you export all company information prior to any deletion so that information is not lost.  On the SFDC side, it is recommended that you also complete a clean up of the records prior to importing the records into HubSpot.

Selective Sync?

There is HubSpot documentation on the feature and it is supported by Technical Consultants (me!) but I am not a fan, to be honest.  I think that it can cause more issues than help when integrating with HubSpot.

https://www.hubspot.com/salesforce-selective-sync

The main risk is duplicate creation.  Having said that it might be a good option in cases of non-overlapping contact segments or if there are compliance requirements to keep things out of HS

STEP FIVE:  The four letters that would make any grown person cry......GDPR

tumblr_inline_okgidqaDOo1ro2d43_500.gif

Have you planned your subscriptions and methods of communication?  I would recommend making sure that both systems are aligned and get clarification from your legal team on how consent to process and consent to communication should work for your business.  This should be the same in both your SFDC instance and your HubSpot instance.

This article goes through documenting your processing activities.  Please note that if you do a GDPR compliant delete in HubSpot and the record still exists in SFDC and meets the requirements to sync, a new record will be created.  We see it as a brand new contact as will most integrations.

OPTIONAL STEP SIX: HubSpot Intelligence Visualforce element

If you want to add the Visualforce window, the SFDC user will require a HS log in.  See the steps needed to set this up here

STEP SEVEN:  Connect Integration User

See the required user permissions on the Salesforce side here 

It is recommended that you have a specific 'HubSpot Integration User' so that you will always know what system made updates.  This will be very helpful for troubleshooting.

I hope this is helpful and I would recommend putting these steps into the HubSpot project tool

1 Akzeptierte Lösung
LaurenRyan
Lösung
Stratege/Strategin | Diamond Partner

lösung

@SyN-Thmn this is easily accessible in Salesforce under Setup. Search in the Quickfind box for Installed Packages. Click into the HubSpot Package and you can see all of the integration components. 

I'd also recommend enrolling in the HubSpot Salesforce Integration Certification Course - it provides in-depth training on the integration and the investment will make your internal documentation much more valuable. 

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.29.07 AM.png

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

0 Upvotes
32 Antworten
SyN-Thmn
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

Hi all, I am creating an internal guide detailing the setup, configuration, data mapping, and customizations involved in integrating Salesforce with HubSpot. If salesforce is pushing data to hubspot, then where is the logic written? Salesforce workflow/flow/apex trigger/apex class/batch/schedulers in place? Any guidance where I can find the actual build of this code?
Aldo where can I find out what the authentication mechanism that we are using to integrate Salesforce and Hubspot? I just know that we are using a native HubSpot integration. Many thanks

0 Upvotes
LaurenRyan
Lösung

lösung

@SyN-Thmn this is easily accessible in Salesforce under Setup. Search in the Quickfind box for Installed Packages. Click into the HubSpot Package and you can see all of the integration components. 

I'd also recommend enrolling in the HubSpot Salesforce Integration Certification Course - it provides in-depth training on the integration and the investment will make your internal documentation much more valuable. 

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.29.07 AM.png

0 Upvotes
mattyops
Mitglied

lösung

Great Article.   Is there a way to create a new lead in Salesforce after a current contact in Hubspot scores at our Hubspot Score level and is already in Salesforce?  What is best practice sending Hubspot Scored Leads over to Salesforce.

0 Upvotes
LaurenRyan

lösung

@mattyops nope! HubSpot can only have one Contact. If there is a Lead and Contact in Salesforce with the same email, HubSpot will only sync with one at a time (the most recently updated one). HubSpot cannot create a new record for an existing Contact.

The only way to accomplish this without custom API (and I wouldn't recommend this) is to use Selective Sync and configure a profile in Salesforce that doesn't have visibility to the Contact object. Then, HubSpot can only create and sync to Leads and will not be able to see that there is an existing Contact in HubSpot.

This isn't recommended because it leads to data quality issues and prevents you from marketing to your customer data that exists as Contacts in Salesforce.

0 Upvotes
LaurenRyan

lösung

If you're looking for a deeper dive into the HubSpot Salesforce integration - my team took our eight years of experience and built an in-depth course covering the integration from installation to optimization.

A quick breakdown of the modules:

1. Intro to the HubSpot Salesforce Integration
  2. Preparing Salesforce Data for the HubSpot Integration
  3. Integrating HubSpot and Salesforce
  4. Getting Started with the HubSpot Salesforce Integration
  5. Managing Duplicates in HubSpot and Salesforce
  6. Resolving Sync Errors in HubSpot and Salesforce
  7. Automating HubSpot and Salesforce
  8. Reporting in HubSpot and Salesforce

Check out the curriculum & enroll here!

BAuclair
Mitglied

lösung

Hi @KA great article! My company has the Hubspot Visualforce window in our Salesforce page layouts.  Is there any way to update this so when you see, for example, the lead submitted the request a quote form, you can view the form submission within the Visualforce window?  We don't want the sales team to have to navigate between both platforms to get the information they need, but right now it's not possible.  

0 Upvotes
elanashama
Stratege/Strategin

lösung

Hi @BAuclair , 

You can see that information in SFDC by updating your integration settings in HS. 

elanashama_0-1647153942134.png

As seen in the screenshot, if you go to the Salesforce integration in HS > activities tab, you can sync HS form submissions as tasks in SFDC. That way, every time a contact submits a form, it will create a completed task in SFDC in the activity timeline of the lead/contact.

Hope this helps. 

0 Upvotes
LaurenRyan

lösung

Hey! This is an awesome step-by-step. My team put together a guide this month on planning for and installing the HubSpot Salesforce Integration. It walks through both the strategic & the tactical side of the integration and it may be helpful to those viewing this post!

You can download it (for free) here!

elanashama
Stratege/Strategin

lösung

@kaburke ticket #9058359. thank you!

0 Upvotes
kaburke
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

Hi @elanashama !  Thanks for that, I took a look through the thread and the support rep was giving you the correct information but I think they missed explaining in more detail to you the steps which is what is causing the confusing.  I can't share anything here but I will chat to the rep who will be in contact via the ticket.  I can assure you that the rep did everything 100% correctly and the information he gave you was correct but my understanding is that an example would be helpful to clarify 🙂  NPS 10 is deserved for all of the work I can see the support rep put in I think 😉

elanashama
Stratege/Strategin

lösung

Thanks @kaburke.

I checked, and the issue isn't related to HubSpot contacts who were syncing to SFDC leads that no longer exist.

I contacted support, but they were extremely unhelpful. This is really frustrating, since it seems to be an issue with the integration. If you could contact your team regarding this issue, that would be great.

0 Upvotes
kaburke
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

@elanashama do you have a ticket ID I can take a gander at?

0 Upvotes
kaburke
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

Hi @elanashama !  Please contact support, it seems to me as though either there is an issue or the HubSpot record previously was syncing to a lead that no longer exists.  I personally always recommend to never allow the integration to delete contacts as it causes more issues than actually helping with a process.

0 Upvotes
elanashama
Stratege/Strategin

lösung

Hi everyone,

Just came across a weird issue with the sync. 

When you set up your integration to delete contacts from HubSpot when the synced lead/contact is deleted from SFDC (as seen in the below screenshot), the following happens: every time a HubSpot contact syncs to Salesforce for the first time (meaning, this contact was never synced before to SalesForce), the sync causes the contact to be deleted from HubSpot!

The sync should have created the contact as a lead in SFDC, instead it deleted the contact in HubSpot.

Any ideas on why this is happening, and what's the relation between the setting and the issue? 

elanashama_0-1639596203764.png

0 Upvotes
elanashama
Stratege/Strategin

lösung

Hi @elitchka_ftw ,

It's best not to remove contatcs from SFDC.

I would suggest that you create an "active contacts" list view in SFDC that would only include non-dormant contacts. i.e. if a contact has a certain field value (based on how you categorize active contacts), enter them into the active contacts list view, and share this view with your sales execs.

You can then create a list of dormant contacts in HubSpot/SFDC for further nurturing.

Hope this helps.

0 Upvotes
elitchka_ftw
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

Thanks @elanashama ! 🙏

0 Upvotes
elitchka_ftw
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

I have a question about a situation you or someone here might have come across as related to this integration:

- we plan to sync a list of contacts from Hubspot put together based on scoring

- however on the Salesforce side, the sales execs would like to have the option that if the contacts become dormant, that they mark them appropriately and they're sent back to marketing for nurturing and disappear from the Salesforce view until they get re-qualified.

Has anyone implemented something like this and what would be the best way or best practices you would recommend?

Thank you 🙏

0 Upvotes
kaburke
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

Hi @elitchka_ftw !  It would be difficult for me to give you a solid answer without a better understanding of your set up but dependent on what the rules are of what shows in your SFDC views you could change it around?  I don't think it would be 'removing' them from SFDC but maybe playing with your views.  Your SFDC admin would be best positioned to assist you with this and from the HubSpot side you would need to work with a TC to look at the logic for implementing a re-qualification logic.

Uusteri
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende | Diamond Partner
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende | Diamond Partner

lösung

Hey @kaburke ! Great resource here, thanks for posting this. Would you happen to know if there are any improvements coming to the Visualforce window? Sales reps are quite frustrated by the limited info they get on the view and have stopped using it since one can't even see the page view data 😞 Of course pressing the button 'view in HubSpot' is great but Sales don't want/need access to HubSpot meaning that they do not utilize the marketing data and leads created by Marketing. 

Thanks in advance!

kaburke
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

Hi @Uusteri !  I have changed roles in HubSpot so I am not well versed on any upcoming changes any more however I would recommend posting an idea post along with examples and linking her for anyone that comes across this post who may agree with you!  🙂