Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

ireneh

How to host a social media training workshop?

SOLVE

I've been tasked with ramping up the social media usage among employees in the company. The goal is to help them to become the brand ambassadors of the company. Anyone has experience with similar kind of task? Any tips or way to structure this kind of training workshop?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
shearn
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I've done similar training workshops with a previous company and, not to discourage you from doing one, it can be difficult to get co-workers to buy into it.

In my experience, you need to get the right people in the room who are willing to take on the job of becoming a brand ambassador. These people tend to be salespeople, project managers/developers and customer-facing support staff as they tend to be more outgoing, knowledgeable, passionate and 'in-the-know'. High-level management can also take on the role (and should be involved, rightfully so), but they may need direction depending on their experience with social.

Doing an internal employee survey can help determine who might be a good fit. Who's active on social? Who's active with the customer base? Who's well-known in the industry? Who knows exactly what your message to your audience is? Who has a high level of product/industry knowledge? These are just a few questions I would think about.

You need to make sure you have some form of social strategy in place as well before trying to get people to buy into it. If you don't know your purpose on social, then it'll be difficult to convince others why they should get involved.

You need to have a good social policy in place as well. You need to have guidelines that they'll need to follow as to avoid any situations that may be off-brand. 

Providing examples of past campaign successes, customer interactions, deals created as a result of social interactions, the potential audience the company can reach and the cosmetic design of your channels are also good tools to show. 

Furthermore, providing examples or templates of channel branding, message formats, etc. that they can follow to ensure consistency and ease-of-use could also help.

Overall, people need to see value in engaging on social. How will it benefit not only them but the company as a whole? They'll need to see and understand how their efforts will produce results. ROI, KPIs, etc.

Hopefully, this helps a little bit.

Best of luck!

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
shearn
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I've done similar training workshops with a previous company and, not to discourage you from doing one, it can be difficult to get co-workers to buy into it.

In my experience, you need to get the right people in the room who are willing to take on the job of becoming a brand ambassador. These people tend to be salespeople, project managers/developers and customer-facing support staff as they tend to be more outgoing, knowledgeable, passionate and 'in-the-know'. High-level management can also take on the role (and should be involved, rightfully so), but they may need direction depending on their experience with social.

Doing an internal employee survey can help determine who might be a good fit. Who's active on social? Who's active with the customer base? Who's well-known in the industry? Who knows exactly what your message to your audience is? Who has a high level of product/industry knowledge? These are just a few questions I would think about.

You need to make sure you have some form of social strategy in place as well before trying to get people to buy into it. If you don't know your purpose on social, then it'll be difficult to convince others why they should get involved.

You need to have a good social policy in place as well. You need to have guidelines that they'll need to follow as to avoid any situations that may be off-brand. 

Providing examples of past campaign successes, customer interactions, deals created as a result of social interactions, the potential audience the company can reach and the cosmetic design of your channels are also good tools to show. 

Furthermore, providing examples or templates of channel branding, message formats, etc. that they can follow to ensure consistency and ease-of-use could also help.

Overall, people need to see value in engaging on social. How will it benefit not only them but the company as a whole? They'll need to see and understand how their efforts will produce results. ROI, KPIs, etc.

Hopefully, this helps a little bit.

Best of luck!

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.