Tickets Displaying Other Ticket emails

SOLVE
RichardG
Contributor

Hi there

I was hoping someone could help me. We create multiple tickets for certain companies and individuals and being able to see all of these from the contact screen is very helpful.

However, we do not want to see emails, notes and other details of tickets on other tickets activity windows as it confuses matters. Is there a way to turn this function off? 

To be clear, we would like to see all the activity history against the relevant company and contact records but not on other tickets

Any help would be awesome

Thanks in advance

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
jennysowyrda
Solution
Community Manager

HI @RichardG,

If the ticket is associated with a contact or company, there is no way to limit the associations by ticket. 

Thank you,
Jenny

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
jennysowyrda
Solution
Community Manager

HI @RichardG,

If the ticket is associated with a contact or company, there is no way to limit the associations by ticket. 

Thank you,
Jenny

View solution in original post

RichardG
Contributor

Shame

Thanks

0 Upvotes
Cait_
Participant

I don't think the answer you got before is entirely accurate. But I could also be misunderstanding what you're saying.

My team has been noticing when they create tickets, we're getting unrelated activity from the contact or company associated to the ticket, but the check box on the ticket creation form to include that info was unchecked, so how was that info populating?

Example:

We create a ticket for Sandra at Hubspot. We then email Sandra about something completely different than the ticket. But when you look at the ticket, that unrelated email shows up in the ticket record.

If that is your problem, then when you're sending an email to a contact associated to the company the ticket is for, creating a note for the company or contact associated to the ticket, basically do anything with the contact or company associated to the ticket, there's a little box at the bottom of the entry that says "Associated with x Records" and it's a drop down. If you check the drop down out, you'll see it trying to automatically associated the next activity on the contact or company to the most recent ticket that was created.

Hubspot_ticket_association_example_1.png

James-Preseem
Participant

Cait

I experienced this same behavior earlier this year and had a very long and detailed discussion about this with a support rep at hubspot.   It was and continues to cause me a problem because when you put this problem together with the fact that any message reply to any of the cross associated tickets will cause them to reopen....its a big pain.

The explaination I received explains why it happen technically, but it is far from ideal and is completely incompatible with a ticket system in my opinion.   To summarize....

Putting aside the concept of a ticketing system for Customer support purposes and considering only the concepts of CRM from a conversations point of view:

• Thinking about conversations, they have an association with various objects; contacts, companies, deals, etc...
  • If I am thinking purely about this from the perspective of CRM, I want to be able to see all communications for a company or a contact when I view that contact or that company.  So to do that there has to be an association between the objects.
  • When you "Reply to all" to a conversation the back end of hubspot searches for objects associated with recipient objects not already associated with that conversation and associates them.
  • By doing this, nothing gets missed and the CRM side of things will show an accurate representation of what conversations various contacts are engaged in.

Add in the concept of a ticket as an object that is associated with a conversation. 

This is a quote from support

• The undesired associations are being made because the customer is using the "Reply All" functionality to respond to the Email/Ticket. When this happens, the back-end looks up the last 5 tickets for each contact included in the thread and associates them to the email engagement. This means that the last 5 deals, contacts, companies, and the ticket are associated with the email engagement that's being created at this point.

Now from a deal, contact, company point of view having an association makes sense.  You want to know what the various contacts are engaged in.   From a service ticket perspective this is completely counter intuitive and is completely sideways in my opinion.  A ticket represents a specific engagement/issue/transaction of ideas and events that are indepdendent of one another unless otherwise specificed.  It is completely logical that there is separate conversations between two people about two different things and that those two conversations are independent of one another. i.e. 

Ticket 1  has  conversation 1 (service rep A + customer contact A)

Ticket 2  has  conversation 2 (service rep A + customer contact A)  

Just because Service Rep A & Customer Contact A are conversing with one another regarding two separate tickets (1&2) doesnt mean that the conversations are related and should automagically be associated with the other ticket.  Conversations should associated with tickets should not be subject to the `search and associate` functionality that seems to be built into the system.

It is my understanding that this behavior is tied to the 'Reply to All` functionality, and that the only way to really avoid this is to make sure that that the associations are correct before you reply to all and if they arent remove the incorrect associations before hand....OR  to simply reply and manually add in the addition recipients everytime.  Both of which are unacceptable. 

In general HubSpot does not see a ticket as being different than any other object from the point of view of their association contact tracking model.   The problem is that is completely counterintuitive from a service /support ticket perspective.   I spend a non trivial amount of time chasing down tickets that have incorrectly reopened because of incorrect associations.  Reading endless threads to determine what is actually associated with what and doing the manual task of undoing the automatic associations that the back end feels are necessary.  If you have multiple tickets open with the same groups of contacts, expect this cross association (contamination) to occur.    The system making unilatereral undocumented decisions about what is associated to what may be a feature but its not a feature that considered the use case of service / support ticketing especially well in my opinion.

James