Tickets & Conversations

SteveMatlick
Contributor

Ticket category - best practices and sub-categories

Hi,

Since HubSpot only supplies a single Category field for tickets, how are most organizations using this?   My experience in using ticketing systems in the past is that a single level categorization is usually never enough - at a minimum it's two levels and many times three.  

Example:

Category

- How Do I?

-  Technical Issue

-  Billing Issue

Sub-Category

For How Do I?

-  Reset Password

-  Print a document

-  Save a list

For Technical Issue

- System latency

- Defect

- Printing errors

For Billing Issue

-  Update billing address

-  Invoice inquiry

-  Credit request

And there could be a third level under some of the Sub-Category items.

I was informed that conditional logic for fields is only available for forms and not tickets so creating a Sub-Category field would display ALL values regardless of what Category value is selected.   Has anyone encountered this?  How are you implementing categorization for your organization?

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies 7
andrew123
Participant

My company has been using 2 fields to categorize tickets:

1. The area or product that they need help with (payment, feature/product A, feature/product B, ...)

2. The type of request that they have (question, issue, feedback, ...)

That has several problems, but gives a greater level of detail than just one or the other.

I'd love to hear other companies' workarounds.

Also, please upvote and comment on the feature request:
HubSpot Community - Ability to Create Sub-Categories on a Ticket related to Category Chosen - HubSpo...

0 Upvotes
andrew123
Participant

My company also has this issue.

We'd love to be able to add sub-categories, but in the meantime, Steve's question still stands: How does HubSpot recommend categorizing tickets?

At the moment, we're using very high-level categories, like "Question", "Issue", "Task", and so on, but it means we can't drill down.

That limitation, combined with the fact that searching for tickets isn't very useful (because it only searches within a few fields), means that we have to spend a lot of time browing for the right ticket, even when we know exactly what we're looking for.

What advice do you have? How does HubSpot categorize tickets internally?

0 Upvotes
daniellongo

Hey @SteveMatlick 

Did you find an alternative to do it, I'm having the same kind of problem, coming from a conventional ticketing system to HubSpot this feature is really important to us.

Additionally not only inside the tickets, but having the fields available to inert on ticket forms as well like other players in the market.

In the example below you choose the category on left side and then you'll have options available on the right side.

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 6.26.05 pm.png

Cheers 

Dan

adeelfaisal
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

Hi @SteveMatlick,

I believe you are looking for dependent fields in the Support form. 

As per this discussion https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Dependent-fields-in-Service-Support-forms/idi-p/20782... the feature you are looking for is already submitted as an idea but not yet delivered. 

Adeel Faisal
Direct of Growth @ 3 & Four

Did my post help answer your question? Help the community by marking it as a solution.
NDiouf

Hi, @adeelfaisal ,

As this feature has not been released yet, do you have a workaround to propose?

Many Thanks for your help

0 Upvotes
SteveMatlick
Contributor

Hi @adeelfaisal ,

Thanks for sharing the link.  This is the functionality I am looking for and would be great on a Support form but I'm asking about this on tickets directly within the CRM.  Having the ability to create custom properties and then assign a) parent/child for the properties and b) note which child values are assigned to a parent would be extremely helpful.

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

HI @SteveMatlick,

I want to tag in a few users who may have some insights into this matter!

@PeterC@Josh@adeelfaisal@MastersFred do you have any tips on organizing multiple levels of data through multiple properties?

Thank you,
Jenny