Tickets & Conversations

mattwalsh527
Participant

Reply to closed ticket making brand new ticket

SOLVE

Hi everyone, I could not seem to find an option for this: we are ok when customers reply to closed tickets and the ticket opens back up, as long as its within a few days after the ticket was closed. We find that sometimes a customer will like to use a ticket as an ongoing email thread from their end. If they reply to a very old ticket that was closed weeks/months ago, it can mess with the metrics. Is there a way to set a cutoff in HS? For example, any replies to closed tickets after 2 weeks will go into the system as a new ticket. 

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted solution
TrujayJay
Solution
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi @mattwalsh527 ! Good question. Yes, you should actually be able to do this. I haven't tested this out, but here's what I'm thinking:

The automation that reopens the ticket lives under Settings > Objects > Tickets > Pipelines > Automate, and should look like this:

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 1.49.02 PM.png

If you hover over the 'A customer replies to an email' automation, you'll see a link to 'View workflow'. Click on that, and you'll be taken to a read-only view of the workflow.

You can't edit the workflow, but what you can do is clone it (More > Clone) and modify it to fit your needs, then turn off the checkbox for 'A customer replies to an email'.

You likely want three different versions of this workflow:

1. The first workflow will change the ticket status to Awaiting Support if the ticket is still in an open status. You'll want to add a trigger step to the cloned workflow to filter by open statuses.
  2. The second workflow will change the ticket status to Awaiting Support only if the ticket is closed and the Last Modified Date is less than or equal to 14 days ago.
  3. The third workflow will create a new ticket if the ticket is closed and the Last Modified Date is more than 14 days ago. You'll want to replace the existing action with 'Create Record'.

You could also combine the last two into a single workflow if you use an if/then step for the 14-day threshold.

Seems like this would work in theory, but you'll definitely want to test it in a sandbox first. If you'd like any help, my team would be happy to lend a hand.

Trujay | Noah Hendricks

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
JWilkey

SOLVE

I see this was from 2022.  Was this attempted, did that solution work?  We have customers that reply to closed tickets and it sends a note to them that they are sending an email to a closed ticket and to send a new email to open a new ticket. However, we find that not everyone pays attention to that note.. Our team doesn't see the response because it's on a closed ticket, causing a bad customer experience for us.  Is there a way for the system to take that email that was sent on a closed ticket and open a new ticket for them?

0 Upvotes
mattwalsh527
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks so much Jay, I will take a look at this with my team and reach out with questions. 

0 Upvotes
T_Fairley
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Matt, 

I'm actually trying to find a solution for this now and wondering if you got this to work for you. Thanks! 

0 Upvotes
spoole
Participant

SOLVE

Hi there, were you able to test this? Did the first ticket also reopen when a customer replied to the email in the new ticket?

0 Upvotes
TrujayJay
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @mattwalsh527 ! Good question. Yes, you should actually be able to do this. I haven't tested this out, but here's what I'm thinking:

The automation that reopens the ticket lives under Settings > Objects > Tickets > Pipelines > Automate, and should look like this:

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 1.49.02 PM.png

If you hover over the 'A customer replies to an email' automation, you'll see a link to 'View workflow'. Click on that, and you'll be taken to a read-only view of the workflow.

You can't edit the workflow, but what you can do is clone it (More > Clone) and modify it to fit your needs, then turn off the checkbox for 'A customer replies to an email'.

You likely want three different versions of this workflow:

1. The first workflow will change the ticket status to Awaiting Support if the ticket is still in an open status. You'll want to add a trigger step to the cloned workflow to filter by open statuses.
  2. The second workflow will change the ticket status to Awaiting Support only if the ticket is closed and the Last Modified Date is less than or equal to 14 days ago.
  3. The third workflow will create a new ticket if the ticket is closed and the Last Modified Date is more than 14 days ago. You'll want to replace the existing action with 'Create Record'.

You could also combine the last two into a single workflow if you use an if/then step for the 14-day threshold.

Seems like this would work in theory, but you'll definitely want to test it in a sandbox first. If you'd like any help, my team would be happy to lend a hand.

Trujay | Noah Hendricks