Importing Tickets to Associate with Contacts AND Companies

RichardG
Contributor

I am trying to import tickets into the system with their associated contacts and companies. This is very important as our clients look for a report of what tickets (plus typers and peoples) they have logged as part of teh account management process - this is standard practice in any service industry.

I can import and associate to a company or a contact but NOT both, this is incredibly frustrating and seemingly a huge hole in the system. As you cannot also automatically associate a ticket with a company by entering the contact (who is associated with a company), users are wasting time and effort for a seemingly simple fix.

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Not sure if all import rules apply to Service Hub, but please do a quick test with a single record.

-1- Import a ticket and associate with the Contact.

-2- Export that ticket into a .csv (which contains the unique ticket id).

-3- Import that ticket and associate with the Company. Update based on unique ticket id. (important)

Good?

Although this solution requires multiple steps, it is scalable. The alternative is to use an import service (e.g., Import2, Data2CRM, etc.).

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

Frank on LinkedIn

HubSpot's Hiring World-Wide!

0 Upvotes
RichardG
Contributor

Many thanks that works, kind of! The only problem with the above approach is that it creates a new company for each ticket entry leaving you with a very messy database. Maybe I did not do it properly but that's what happened to me

For anyone else trying the process, from nothing in the database, would be

• Import Companies and Contacts - Associated
  • Import Tickets and Contacts - Associated
  • Export Tickets, Contacts and Companies - all fields
  • Take the Ticket export and use Vlookup to get the associated company  and associated company ID into this spreadsheet (there is help on vlookup in the hubspot learning centre)
  • rename associated company ID to Company ID
  • Re-import ticket file with multiple properties and tie together with company ID (tick update existing records on both companies and tickets). This mean that you will see the import results as 0 new records.

All sorted! I hope that helps someone else

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Of course, you are correct. That is expected behavior on an empty CRM.

Based on the original problem description, I presumed your Contacts and Companies were already existing in HubSpot with associations established, and that Tickets were our only focus.

Glad it worked out.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

Frank on LinkedIn

HubSpot's Hiring World-Wide!

0 Upvotes
PeterC
Top Contributor

Great process, and thanks for sharing it.

Are your tickets usually short transactions, or can they span days/weeks?  Sorry for hijacking your thread, but it looks as though you're succeeding with something I'm failing at: Reporting on Tickets.

As far as I can see, Tickets in HubSpot are treated as a single entity.  The transactions (emails, notes, calls etc) on the ticket are not visible to the reporting engine - so there's no way to report on customer activity within a specific timeframe.  This limitation makes activity-based billing a challenge. 

0 Upvotes
RichardG
Contributor

I'm a relatively new user but, as far as I can tell, the best way to do most reports is by going to the tickets screen and click options - export and select all data items. This allows you to download all the ticket info into an Excel file which you can then perform your own reports on.

It would be relatively simple to filter by company and then see tickets created within set timeframes such as ticket created date, last activity date, number of time contacted etc.

It's not a canned pretty report but would do the jobn and you could, I'm sure, achieve at least some of your desired results in under 5 mintues.

Hope that helps

0 Upvotes
PeterC
Top Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Exporting data is Ok and this is how I'm doing it currently - the limitation being reports are no longer linked to live data.  Plus it's a manual time-consuming process that requires you to remember to email the reports... you get the picture I'm sure!

The reporting engine in HubSpot is automatic & linked to the live data, so the results are dynamic and always up to date.  They let you analyse your data in real-time (within limits) by presenting the reports on dashboards.  Unfortunately, the limitations of the reporting tool, coupled with the reportable ticket data, make specific time-period reports almost impossible (unless I'm missing something).

0 Upvotes
RichardG
Contributor

Peter

OK, so we have now reached the limits of my knowledge! You may be better off starting a new thread and hoping one the the thought leaders can help you out with this

Best of luck

0 Upvotes