Tickets & Conversations

Bowser914
Participant

How to forward an email to an existing ticket?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to send an email to an existing case.

In my previous CRM experience this was done using a Reference Number in the subject line but I am trying to figure out how HubSpot does it.

I am aware you can log an email but this is not a good solution, specially from an Audit perspective.

Thank you in advance,

0 Upvotes
12 Replies 12
OAlterescu

Even if this goes to the conversation section section it requires another step to move it to a ticket.
As some one who is coming from the service side, it just doesn't work.
Simple support/service activities are much much more complicated here.

0 Upvotes
mgavenda
Participant

@Jnix284unfortunately, not at all

0 Upvotes
Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

@mgavenda just to be sure, when you log in to HubSpot, you are using the ID as shown here in the URL:

portal-id.png

Could you also do a test?
Send an email to a test contact using IDnumber@bcc.hubspot.com in the BCC field and let me know if that goes through?

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

mgavenda
Participant

@Jnix284yes I was using the ID as shown in the URL.
On the other hand, ID@bcc.hubspot.com works, I was able to find the messages under in the contact record now, thank you!

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

@mgavenda 

I'm glad you got an email to go through - both should work if the contact is in hubspot, BCC for when you are replying outside of HubSpot and FORWARD if you receive a message you want to log. I'm curious why one works and the other not. I use both every day and it's one of my favorite hacks. 🙂

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

0 Upvotes
danmoyle

Hi @Bowser914. In HubSpot Service Hub, you can open the ticket and hit the email button, which emails the folks associated to the ticket (an existing case). You can also use the HubSpot Conversations Inbox to manage these in a central area. Both cases will attach the email to the ticket and the contact both. Hope that helps! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
Bowser914
Participant

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the reply,

What I am trying to achieve is sending an email which might support an existing case from my mail client, outlook in this case, or any of my colleagues inbox.

The email is external to HubSpot.

0 Upvotes
danmoyle

I see. I don't know that HubSpot has the exact functionality your other system had. When emailing from your Outlook, you're not emailing from a support email, but your own. And I don't believe that's how HubSpot Service Hub functions. Here are a couple of reources I found. Maybe another Community member has a better answer? 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
Bowser914
Participant

Thanks, it seems HubSpot does not have that functionality.

Currently if I send an email to HubSpot it creates a new case, the only way it routes the email is if it is responding to an email sent from the case.

Maybe that could be a workaround but unsure, will try contacting our account manager.

Thank you for your suggestions though

Jnix284

@Bowser914 here are the steps I take when I get an email outside of HubSpot that I want to associate with a ticket

1. From the email provider, I forward to portalid#@forward.hubspot.com you'll change "portalid#" to your portal ID number
    1. if the email is already in HubSpot, skip this step
  2. Once the email is logged in HubSpot in the contact record, I click the email to edit the associations
  3. Click Tickets, and search for the ticket name

Jnix284_0-1659045773496.png

I didn't have a chance to read the articles @danmoyle shared, so hopefully this isn't a repeat 🙂

Hope this helps!

mgavenda
Participant

Hi @Jnix284,

Thank you for your suggestion, we have been trying it out, but it does not seem to be working for us. I've forwarded 3 emails to ourportalid@forward.hubspot.com but none of them appear in Conversations.

Are we doing something wrong or is there anything we need to set up first?

0 Upvotes
Jnix284

Hi @mgavenda are you able to see the forwarded emails in the contact record, or not in HubSpot at all?

0 Upvotes