Tickets & Conversations

DMiller95

How to copy a value from the Company level to the Ticket level

SOLVE

I would like to build a workflow that enrolls every new ticket and copies down a field from the matching Company record called "Priority Score".  I have created a ticket property for PriorityScore but it seems I can only copy FROM at ticket TO the Company record but not FROM the Company down TO the Ticket record.  Anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @DMiller95,

If you want to copy from a company to a ticket record, you need to create a company-based workflow. The challenge here is that you need something that can (re-)trigger this company workflow.

Since you want this workflow to trigger whenever there is a new ticket, there are two options.

1. You create a calculation property on the company record that counts how many associated tickets there are. Let me know if you need further details to set this up. Once this is created, you re-enroll company records in your company based workflow when "Number of associated tickets is known".
  2. You create a new company checkbox property, e.g. "New ticket trigger". In a ticket-based workflow, you set company property checkbox to checked (via the "set property value" workflow action). In a company-based workflow, you re-enroll company records when this checkbox is checked. The company workflow then copies the value to (all associated) ticket(s) and then empties the "New ticket trigger" property value again.

I fully agree if you say that this should be easier 😉

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @DMiller95,

If you want to copy from a company to a ticket record, you need to create a company-based workflow. The challenge here is that you need something that can (re-)trigger this company workflow.

Since you want this workflow to trigger whenever there is a new ticket, there are two options.

1. You create a calculation property on the company record that counts how many associated tickets there are. Let me know if you need further details to set this up. Once this is created, you re-enroll company records in your company based workflow when "Number of associated tickets is known".
  2. You create a new company checkbox property, e.g. "New ticket trigger". In a ticket-based workflow, you set company property checkbox to checked (via the "set property value" workflow action). In a company-based workflow, you re-enroll company records when this checkbox is checked. The company workflow then copies the value to (all associated) ticket(s) and then empties the "New ticket trigger" property value again.

I fully agree if you say that this should be easier 😉

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Kari-M
Participant

SOLVE

I am needing to set this up as well.  I tried building a company calculation for your item 1 referenced above but am only given Associated Deals or Associated Contacts as an option (no Associated Tickets).  Any suggestions on building that?

KariM_0-1699896397183.png

0 Upvotes
DMiller95

SOLVE

Hi Karsten!

Thanks for your replies.  A few questions:

For option #1 - I'm not certain how I connect this to the ticket?  So the company enrolls and counts the number of tickets and then do I set up a "copy field" action to trigger "if the number is known"?  Does it copy that value to EVERY ticket or just NEW tickets.  

For option #2 - this sounds more complex and error prone haha.  So would prefer #1 if I hear how to connect it to the ticket object. 🙂

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @DMiller95,

I would say that both options are equally complex.

For the first option, correct. The idea is that whenever the number of associated tickets changes ( = re-enrolment based on "is known"), the company property value is copied to all associated tickets. This is the default behavior and it's not possible to only copy to the latest ticket, unfortunately.

Does that answer your question?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
DMiller95

SOLVE

Ok so here is how I set up the workflow automation

DMiller95_1-1660073277393.png

And this is how I set up the field.  All look good?

DMiller95_2-1660073415473.png

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Looks good, @DMiller95!

I'd double check whether the calculation property is working correctly by pulling up a company record and comparing the number to the actually associated tickets.

If that looks correct, this is good to go!

Karsten Köhler