Tickets & Conversations

TenaC
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

Difference Between Tickets and Conversations

SOLVE

New to Hubspot and trying to determine the best way to understand the difference between conversations and tickets.  It seems to me that every conversation should be a ticket.  Can someone help to poke holes in why/if that logic is flawed?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
louischausse
Solution
Key Advisor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ChloeTorrente 

You don't have to create a workflow to do this.

Go to Settings > Conversations > Inboxes 

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 7.41.30 PM.png

Then click "Edit" beside the name of the inbox you want to the automated tickets to be created.

Once it is done Go to Channels and click "Edit" again beside the channel you want to create a ticket for:

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 7.44.03 PM.png

Finally, toggle on the switch to "Automatically create tickets". You can setup default value for the ticker by clicking "Edit ticket"

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 7.43.15 PM.png

Don't forget to mark my reply as a solution if you are satisfied. If not, do not hesitate to ask me anything!

Louis Chaussé from Auxilio HubSpot Solutions Partner Signature
Louis Chaussé from Auxilio HubSpot Solutions Partner Meeting link

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Josh
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @TenaC,

In general, tickets are used to track "issues" that require steps to be taken in an effort to track and mark as completed. This might be via one or many people.

A conversation doesn't necessarily mean that action will have to be taken. Often times the outcome of a conversation might lead to ticket creation, but that wouldn't necessarily be assumed.

For example, someone might ask where to log into a piece of software. In this case you would answer their question, or send them a knowledge base article (for example), but there aren't really steps that need to be taken to accomplish that. Sure, if you're getting extremely granular you could argue that even something like that could be logged as a ticket, but that's probably not the norm.

Additionally, conversations can be used for other things as well, such as sales. In the sales process, I wouldn't necessarily want to create a ticket for conversations coming into a sales inbox. It may or may not lead to a phone call, follow up email, etc., but probably not a ticket.

Separating tickets and conversations keeps the system flexible enough for people to use it in a way that best fits their business.  

I hope that helps!

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

GaelViolet

SOLVE

Hi Josh,

I am right with your feedback.

as a young free user of hubspot, is there a way to move conversation toward ticket ?

or close only the conversation or only the ticket as to keep visual action to keep in mind ?

thanks a lot 

Gael 

0 Upvotes
rbarreca
Participant

SOLVE

I still feel that tickets and conversations should be merged. It is an issue or incoming communication that warrants an action and resolution. That action could be to not respond to the requester and just "Mark as closed" in the Conversations view. Or that action could be to move that request through a service process to try to resolve an issue. The distinction feels flawed to me and requires us to look in two places while performing the same tasks and redundantly create tickets (which duplicate an inbound conversation).

I know Josh is describing what most companies DO, but I feel like merging conversations and tickets would result in better customer satisfaction and more efficient sales/support.

louischausse

SOLVE

Hi @rbarreca,

If you want you can automatically create a ticket for every new conversation and just work from the ticket pipelines and kind of "forgot" the conversation tool after it is setup. I have a customer of mine who work like this and is very satisfied with the Service Hub. Seems to me that your use case is very similar.

ChloeTorrente
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @louischausse 

Thank you for your answer

I am exactly trying to create a workflow which create a ticket for every new conversation and didn't manage to do so

Is there any chance you could help me with this ?

Thank you very much

0 Upvotes
louischausse
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @ChloeTorrente 

You don't have to create a workflow to do this.

Go to Settings > Conversations > Inboxes 

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 7.41.30 PM.png

Then click "Edit" beside the name of the inbox you want to the automated tickets to be created.

Once it is done Go to Channels and click "Edit" again beside the channel you want to create a ticket for:

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 7.44.03 PM.png

Finally, toggle on the switch to "Automatically create tickets". You can setup default value for the ticker by clicking "Edit ticket"

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 7.43.15 PM.png

Don't forget to mark my reply as a solution if you are satisfied. If not, do not hesitate to ask me anything!

Andrew8

SOLVE

I'm not seeing that option for Chat, am I missing it?

Daren444
Participant

SOLVE

Hello,

If we want to only manage tickets for every conversation, is there a way to automaticly close the conversation once the ticket is created?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Mike-Zea
Participant

SOLVE

@louischausse 

I second this,

• We have an info@company.com email inbox full of unread conversations that we monitor from the conversation page in HubSpot. 
  • We create tickets for some conversations.
  • If we close the ticket, the conversation is still active.

Is there a way to close the conversation when the ticket created from the conversation is closed? 

0 Upvotes
ChloeTorrente
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you, it works ! 

0 Upvotes