Tickets & Conversations

MOnaka
Contributor

Assigning 2 or 3 ticket owners

SOLVE

We have custom properties in our database for essentially 3 owners, yet when we create a ticket we can only assign one of those 3 owners as the ticket owner. So when we automate, we can only assign that ticket owner (or specific individuals) to do anything, we can't assign the other company owners.

What I'd like to be able to do is associate 2 (or all 3) of the company owners as ticket owners, which would allow me to select owner 1, 2, or 3 when automating tasks. 

Is there a way to do this? 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MOnaka,

Understood, unfortunately tasks can have only one owner. I'm not aware of any way to work around that limitation.

If you're not referring to tasks but tickets, use the "Set property value" action to find the owner properties and assign them.

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
12 Replies 12
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MOnaka,

When you create custom properties with the type "HubSpot user", you should be able to do that exactly:

karstenkoehler_0-1696997060582.png

Property overview:

karstenkoehler_1-1696997069556.png

Workflow "Create task" action:

karstenkoehler_2-1696997192518.png

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

MOnaka
Contributor

SOLVE

Okay so I checked and the 3 owners are already listed as Hubspot users as you suggested. However when I use a ticket based workflow, I can only see a way to assign it to one person. How do I add the 2 other people as owners on the ticket?

Because if they aren't owners, then later when I try to do anything, the only people I can assign it to are an existing owner on the ticket (of which there is only one at this point) or a specific user. 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MOnaka,

Understood, unfortunately tasks can have only one owner. I'm not aware of any way to work around that limitation.

If you're not referring to tasks but tickets, use the "Set property value" action to find the owner properties and assign them.

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
MOnaka
Contributor

SOLVE

I am talking about assigning tasks based on tickets.

It appears that there is only one ticket owner, and the only way I can assign tasks related to the ticket are either directly to the ticket owner, or to a specific user. Of course, on some of the tickets I need it to be one person, but on others it needs to be a different person so that doesn't work. Through using your "set property value" action on the ticket, would that value somehow show up in the section where I could assign it to them? Because if it doesn't show up in that field, I don't think it would help. 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MOnaka,

In the "Create task" workflow action, you can choose from the "Assign Task to" dropdown that you want to reference an owner:

karstenkoehler_0-1697472290220.png

When you do, you can switch "Which ticket owner" to any owner:

karstenkoehler_1-1697472304742.png

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
MOnaka
Contributor

SOLVE

We keep going around and round...

So I don't have the option for a second ticket owner, there's only one ticket owner. So we're back to trying to understand how to assign a second and third ticket owner. I see you said "If you're not referring to tasks but tickets, use the "Set property value" action to find the owner properties and assign them." You're saying that using the set property value I can assign a second and third owner to a ticket?

When and how do I do this? So right now, there's a company enrollment trigger, that creates a ticket and assigns it to one of our Hubspot owner spots (Chair 2). So after it does that I should set a property value? So set property value > ticket > ticket owner > assign to an owner just brings up the list of people, it doesn't bring up the Hubspot owner categories that I need. What am I doing wrong here?

I appreciate your time.

MOnaka_0-1697565137652.png

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MOnaka,

If you don't have a second and third ticket owner yet, you need to create them as properties, see my very first reply: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Tickets-Conversations/Assigning-2-or-3-ticket-owners/m-p/862639/hig...

Once these properties are created, they are available in ticket-based workflows:

karstenkoehler_0-1697565523843.png

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
MOnaka
Contributor

SOLVE

From your screenshot, it just looks like you're creating a company property, with the type of hubspot user, and labeling it ticket owner. How do you get it to actually be a ticket owner?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MOnaka,

It's not a company property, it's a ticket property.

When you create a custom ticket property and select the property type "HubSpot user", it automatically becomes a ticket owner type property. That's what this property type does.

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/account/property-field-types-in-hubspot

"HubSpot user: stores a list of users in your HubSpot account. Only one HubSpot user can be selected as a value. This field type can be used to create a custom owner property, separate from the default [Object] owner property. For example, you may want to create a "Point of contact" or "Collaborator" property for which you can select a user as an additional owner and specify their role in relation to the record. You can create up to 30 custom HubSpot user properties. Learn more about assigning ownership of records."

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
MOnaka
Contributor

SOLVE

Okay! After all of this plus maybe an hour with chat support and 15 minutes on the phone, I finally got it figured out!!!!

So for those who may look later... I have a pipeline and I'm trying to set up all of the automation for it. We have 3 "company owner" properties that are Hubspot users. So all of our "companies" are assigned these 3 different types of owners.

When creating the tickets for the pipeline I could choose one of those company owner fields to be the ticket owner, but couldn't figure out how to associate the other fields also as ticket owners. 

So what I had to do was:

• Create a ticket property and name it exactly the same thing as the company property, with field type Hubspot User. 
  • Then in the company based workflow that was creating the tickets and assigning it to one of the owners, we added a branch. The branch was only because we were going to copy a property and they said without the branch, this property would copy to ALL tickets, rather than just the ones in this workflow. [I'm honestly not 100% sure we needed to do this but for now we did. We (me and the IT person) were worried it would change the ticket owner on other tickets, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure it would have.]
  • So the branch... it was to look for "company is associated to any ticket" and associated ticket has all of "pipeline is any of THAT SPECIFIC PIPELINE" and ticket status is any of THE FIRST STATUS IN THAT PIPELINE
  • So if the answer was no, nothing would happen.
  • If the answer was yes, then we did "copy property value". We copied the company field for that "company owner", target object ticket, association to object all tickets, and property to copy company owner to was the ticket property with the exact same name.

Once I did this, then I went into our ticket based workflow for that same pipeline, and now when I went to assign a task, under ticket owner there was a second choice, it was the other company owner field!

MOnaka
Contributor

SOLVE

Ok so I actually realized that the best option to make this all work is to get rid of the branch and all that... and instead just create a separate ticket based workflow that will always stay on. All it will do, is once any ticket exists, it gets the 3 company owner properties from the company and copies them to the 3 Hubspot user properties in the ticket.

Without copying the company owner properties from the company to the ticket, I would have assigned tasks to those ticket owner fields but they would have been empty. 

MHorist
Participant

SOLVE

@MOnaka Glad you figured this out.  Thank you!  Looking at the history of this thread, I am a little apprehensive about moving forward with Hubspot.  Given the size and abilities of Hubspot, the correct answer from @karstenkoehler should have been, this is not a function we currently have available; however, I will send this to leadership, who will then forward it on to the development group to add this functionality.  

I say this because there are 18 upvotes to your initial request, which means there is clearly a demand for this option.  

These are the small things that make a difference between a good company and a great company...

0 Upvotes