The Lab

Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Week of 8/24. Give us feedback on new design

Hi HubSpot Heroes:
This week, we would like your feedback on a new page design we are thinking about for the Community website. We want to add Related Resources links to the top of our topic pages. This will enable you to see other content relevant to the topic (ie: Dashboards and Reporting).

Use Cases for this page include:

1. User goes to Google and searches on "Dashboards and Reports" and lands on this page

2. User goes directly to the Community site and searches on "Dashboards" and lands on this page.

As you can see from the screenshot below, we highlight the name of the content and the source of the content (i.e. HubSpot Blog, KB articles, etc.). Let the team and me know what you think. Hopefully, this approach can help you ti easier find HubSpot content. All feedback is welcome. Thank you.

Keep on HubSpotting,

Wilder

This is what it looks like today (Just look at page design)

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 9.07.48 AM.png

This is what it could look like tomorrow:

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 9.12.34 AM.png

My True North: Creating a better Community one pixel at a time
benesch_e
Contributor

@Wilder 

I like the idea of having additional related resources in the community, but I dislike where you currently have it located at the top of the page. If I am searching for something in the community it usually means I didn't find the information for what I needed in the Knowledge Base or some where else, having to scroll past what I have possibly already looked at is just a annoying (kinda like when there are 4+ threads pinned and you have to scroll past them on every page)

Thanks for updating the community pages

Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@benesch_e Hey -- Really appreciate the directness : ) here. Good to know how you and others feel about the placement of the 'resources.' Keep sending the comments my way. 

Happy HubSpotting.

---Wilder

sspinolaNG
Contributor

Could be useful but don't put it above the actual results. Put it in a sidebar or below the search results. Why make me scroll past them to gert to my actual search results? If they were directly related to my search they'd be in the results list. Since they're not in the results list, they're obviously not as relevant to my search. Something only indirectly related to my search should not be prioritized above the actual results of my search.

Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@sspinolaNG Really interesting feedback that you guys prefer on the side or below the discussion threads. Good learning for the team here. I will work with the team to mock something up and share it with you. 

esteeratliff
Contributor

I like it! I personally may prefer it at the bottom of the page though. 🤔

Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@esteeratliff Good point about adding to the bottom of the page. We have thought about that. Still noodling on the location of that information. Thanks.

- Wilder

Anton
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Hi @Wilder

As Romy noitced "on which criteria should the related ressouces work?" To grab the information from Google(or maybe other search engines too) is a great idea. It could make the life of many new users very easy but I don't see it as a realy big benefit for more experienced useres.

I think something like this would make sense in the "create new post" page. It could show the user relevant content based on the subject like "you might want to check this threads up before posting". This could eliminate many duplicate questions over time.

best, 

Anton

check
Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@Anton Good feedback. Keep sending your comments. Thanks!

= Wilder

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hello @Wilder,

I've been looking at the mock-up for a few minutes and I'm torn. Here are some of my thoughts:

The "Related resources" could be helpful to answer frequently asked questions that come up in the community on a regular basis, such as how to build an active list for a specific property. Then again, if someone has googled the problem and hasn't found an answer in the knowledge base or community, that suggests to me that they want personal help. They'll probably scroll past those related resources as well. (To look at this from yet another angle, if posting easy questions (and getting fast responses) is how new members are eased into this community of helpful HubSpotters, that's a good thing, right?)

For the experts in the community, I'm not sure whether these "Related resources" will provide much benefit. They could, if they focus on product updates and changes, new features or betas. (I personally would love that.) Then again, if a new product or feature is launched for the CRM, it would be great if it had it's own post so that community members can discuss it or ask questions.

For the content in the mock-up, specifically the blog posts, I'd also rather see those discussed than just linked. From a community experience standpoint, they'll take me out of the forum and to the HubSpot blog where no conversation or discussion is happening.

Lastly, I like the clean look of the community at the moment and I sometimes suffer from option paralysis: When I'm in the community, I enjoy the fact that I'm in community - and that I don't have to decide whether to browse the blog or re-do a certification or... 😉

Hope this is helpful feedback!

Karsten Köhler
Digital Marketer | HubSpot Freelancer | CRM Consultant

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@karstenkoehler Hi there !

Good feedback.

It is always a challenge to create content for Members with different levels of experience and expertise. I do like your idea of highlighting FAQs and will work with the team to figure out how we can highlight this more. Also -- FYI -- We do plan to highlight product updates and new features on the new site. So thanks for mentioning that. Finally, your point is well taken about Simplicity!  Less is definitely more. Thank you again,

- Wilder

AM8
Contributeur de premier rang

@Wilder I tried to compare what happens now vs this new page but I am not sure what to compare it to. Could you share how the page looks now that you are proposing to change to the new one in your screenshot? 

Will this new page show up when people search in this search box? 

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 11.48.56 AM.png

Hope this helps
Thank you.
-AM8 
#Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution.
Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@AM8 Good call. Check it out now. Let me know if that helps.

Wilder

RomyFuchs1

Hi Wilder,
when exactly do the Related Resources appear? Before or after the search of a topic?
If before: According to which criteria are the resources selected?
Regards

facebooktwitterlinkedininstagram
Romy Fuchs

Head of Marketing | HubSpot Trainer

BEE Digital Growth AG

+41 (0) 43 336 9003 | +49 (0) 173 40 90 445
r.fuchs@bee.digital
https://www.bee.digital/
Seefeldstrasse 231, CH - 8008 Zürich
Termin vereinbaren
Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@RomyFuchs1 Hi there. Good question. So we think there will be several use cases.

1. User goes to Google and searches on "Dashboards and Reports" and lands on this page

2. User goes directly to the Community site and searches on "Dashboards" and lands on this page.

There are other use cases, but here are two of them.

- Wilder

RomyFuchs1

Hi Wilder,
sounds good. Just some other thoughts of mine:

• please show only one course of the Academy: gladly the newest
  • with the blog articles only the "How to" instructions are most useful here in the community
  • for the DACH area, you should pin up an article or a separate section on GDPR (questions on this will come up regularly)

Regards

facebooktwitterlinkedininstagram
Romy Fuchs

Head of Marketing | HubSpot Trainer

BEE Digital Growth AG

+41 (0) 43 336 9003 | +49 (0) 173 40 90 445
r.fuchs@bee.digital
https://www.bee.digital/
Seefeldstrasse 231, CH - 8008 Zürich
Termin vereinbaren
Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@RomyFuchs1 Good specific suggestions. !!

Thank you,

- Wilder

JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @Mike_Eastwood @gelflex-cc @Anton @johnelmer @RomyFuchs1 @JeremyHong @Kim_HM @AM8 @piersg @StefaniUAT, I wanted to inform you about this thread. It would be great to hear your feedback! 

Thanks!

Jess 

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !