The Lab

Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Week of 1/25: Help us define HubSpot’s Certification Program

We are thinking about expanding our certification program -- which focuses on educating and validating one’s knowledge on a specific topic or domain, such as Inbound Methodology or Marketing Hub Software, or Sales Enablement. 

If you’ve taken a HubSpot certification before, you know that our goal is to help our customers learn a new skill and then validate their understanding of the content with an exam. When a person passes the exam and completes the certification, they receive an industry-recognized certificate and badge.

To help us improve this program, we need your assistance. Can you please take a few minutes to answer the following questions:

• What motivates you to complete a HubSpot certification?
  • If you’ve taken a certification before, what part(s) of the process were the most helpful/delightful? What caused the most friction?
  • How and where do you plan on using the certification? For example, will you share on social media, add to it your resume, etc.?
  • Did you know that all of our certifications have expiration dates and require you to retake the exam to stay active? Would you or have you gone through the recertification process by retaking the certification exam? Why or why not?

Thank you again for your assistance with this. We will keep you posted as we roll out new features of the certification program.

- Wilder

My True North: Creating a better Community one pixel at a time
mprichodko
Participant

Totally agreeing with the above suggestions, especially more structure in course offer with different levels.

Otherwise the courses' content is great, interviews are inspiring. As for my part - my biggest motivation is disire to learn and develope, be good at what I do and look for inspiration to be even better:)

0 Upvotes
Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@mprichodko Thank you jumping in here and confirming some of the above. Question for you. You mentioned your 'desire to learn.' Would it help if we created Study Groups so you can learn and study with others? Or do you prefer to do learn on your own. 

Wilder

0 Upvotes
mprichodko
Participant

That is an interesting option! I think I would give it a shot! I see it as a possibility of experience exchange and skill practicing. 

I enjoy HubSpot courses quite a lot. It gives me the possibility to refresh my knowledge, see other perspectives and find inspiration. What I see as a natural next step is the opportunity to exchange experiences with others and practice skills. So I would gladly join learning groups working in forms such as case studies, workshops etc.

Could you give more information about the Study Groups concept?
0 Upvotes
Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@mprichodko  Good evening from San Francisco. Re: Study Groups. We will be testing out Study Groups soon on the Community where you can gather in a private area with other people who are taking the same HubSpot Academy course as you. It would be an opportunity to ask the professor (or your others) questions about the material covered in the course or about related topics. It will be up to the professor and the participants to decided what information to discuss, share, etc. We will start with one course first -- and like a good student -- learn from this initial course. Keep checking back for when it will launch.

Thank you again for responding.

- Wilder

0 Upvotes
mprichodko
Participant

@Wilder Sounds good. I'd like to be pat of it.  Where will it be announced?

Greets from Trondheim, Norway;)

Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@mprichodko I spoke too soon : ). The group is now live. Check it out. You can be one of the first people to visit it. See here.

- Wilder

0 Upvotes
Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@mprichodko Norway, eh? Great place. I will let you know when it goes live in the coming weeks.

- Wilder

0 Upvotes
BloggerLinda

Hey Wilder,

happy to answer your questions:

What motivates you to complete a HubSpot certification?

I can deepen my knowledge, discover new functions and certify my skills.

If you’ve taken a certification before, what part(s) of the process were the most helpful/delightful?

I liked the quizzes, but would have liked there to be a quiz at the end with all the questions combined for practice.

What caused the most friction?

I don't like that I can not train for certifications with this account (free version) and need to switch to my work account. I might study more if I could use my private account. I would very much appreciate if the academy would be accessible from several accounts as long as they belong to the same person.

How and where do you plan on using the certification? For example, will you share on social media, add to it your resume, etc.?

Yes, I always post my certifications on LinkedIn and add it to my CV.

Did you know that all of our certifications have expiration dates and require you to retake the exam to stay active? Would you or have you gone through the recertification process by retaking the certification exam? Why or why not? 

Yes, I already renewed one certificate. It's great for refreshing your knowledge and proving to yourself that you really understand the content and therefore haven't forgotten it. I also find that it makes the certification more meaningful.

Best,

Linda

Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@BloggerLinda Thank you for the detailed information. Nice to see that you renewed your certification.

- Wilder

0 Upvotes
VeroniqueMalan
Contributor

Hi Wilder,

Thanks for asking! I have taken and re-taking many certifications over the years (including I believe the very first version of the HubSpot Software certification)😊. Reasons I am taking them: 

- Stay up to date on HubSpot software features

- Stay up to date on the latest inbound and sales best practices

- Enhance my CV

- Get the right level so that I can train our team members on various topics

And of course, a thing of the past, win goodies at Inbound, by answering quiz 😊

What would make this program more valuable to me is:

- Clean up and make a hierarchy in certifications: There are so many at this point, some super easy and some more advanced/comprehensive, they tend to lose value on a resume. I haven't renewed them all and don't put them all on my resume as they end-up looking gimmicky. With different certification levels, including combo certification that you would obtain if you have passed x number of individual certifications, the real HubSpot geeks among us would be able to stand out.  

- Facilitate re-certification: let us know what course section or new feature has changed, and then we only need to re-take the exam... for example in my 9th year as a HubSpot user, I guess I know quite well why Inbound Marketing is important :). 

- 1 click download of the resource material (transcript and slides) instead of sometimes having to go through each section of the course to download: as a return-user of certification + someone who gets bored watching videos even at speed 2x + someone who learns best by reading, I find it easier to study the transcripts and slides and then take the exam

- Provide additional incentives and fun to go through the certifications (a bit a gamification would be great).

- Find ways (I would like to hear other community members' ideas  on this) to motivate our teams to take the certifications. Right now, we make these certifications mandatory for some of our team members who are not as addicted to HubSpot as we are, and some help to make these more enjoyable or motivating would be great)

- We have senior managers (especially of sales teams) who need to understand how their team will use HubSpot to lead them and monitor their performance, but won't be using HubSpot on a daily basis. We can't ask them to take the entire trainings/certifications. So light certifications dedicated to managers would be great too.  

Happy to discuss further, feel free to reach out.

Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@VeroniqueMalan Great info. Thank you. Will share with the Academy team!

- Wilder

0 Upvotes
MMcCabe

I am new. First week in the platform. Teaching. Need to understand the octopus now.

0 Upvotes
Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@MMcCabe Welcome to the HubSpot family. If you have any questions with your platform, feel free to come back to the Community.

- Wilder

0 Upvotes
Wilder
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

@FlywheelK Good morning from San Francisco. Thank you for providing the information above. Very helpful. I will share your 'filter' idea with the Academy team. Keep the ideas/suggestions coming. Enjoy the rest of the week.

- Wilder

0 Upvotes
FlywheelK
Participant | Gold Partner
Participant | Gold Partner

I have completed 26 certifications as well as most of the HubSpot Academy coursework. My motivation for completing HubSpot certifications is to 1. stay relevant on HubSpot products and industry topics and 2. share with potential agency clients what my agency is capable of. When seeking out other partners to collaborate with or potential employees I want to know that we both have the same baseline understanding of fundamentals as well as software. This would be more relevant to me than just saying they specialize in a functionality of HubSpot or they have completed some college/higher learning accreditation. 

One of the most valued features of HubSpot Academy coursework is that it ties together the relevant tools and resources needed to think about, but also implement action towards using this functionality in the "real world". I have recertified for several certifications over the years. It would be helpful to see an email notification when a lesson has been updated in a certification that I have already completed so that I can stay on the cutting edge.

One small challenge I have is finding new courses in the sea of courses I have already completed. Perhaps it would help others to add a filter to see only courses that have not yet been completed.