StudentSpot

JenWeiss
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (AAPI Heritage Month) πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬ πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅ πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­ πŸ‡°πŸ‡­ πŸ‡¨πŸ‡³

Asian American and Pacific Islander Hertigae Month (AAPI Heritage Month) for the month of May is a celebration that recognizes the historical and cultural contributions of individuals and groups of Asian and Pacific Islander descent in the United States. Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders have contributed significantly to many avenues of culture and society, including science and medicine, literature, technology, sports, politics, activism, and law.

As for me, I’m half FilipinoπŸ‡΅πŸ‡­, with the utmost pride in saying so. When it came to my own career I did not take the traditional route of a profession of Doctor, Lawyer, or Engineer to much my mother's dismay. My career started off in the Travel industry and then completely changed into the Tech Industry. If I didn’t take this risk I would have never been able to meet another fellow Asian-Americans, who have helped me grow in my career. 

Career change is never easy but, isn't that how you learn to appreciate the journey. I have had the chance to learn about APIs, workflows, social media planning, and becoming a leader. Some skills obtain through the Academy but, mostly networking with peers.

At HubSpot, we are able to take pride in working with some amazing humans who deserve a personal shoutout  πŸ“£ @jgueron , @BFisher , @natsumimori and @chuckchoi 

Who has been your most significant professional influence?

Whether you're a student or a lifelong learner. Join StudentSpot to be inspired.
3 Replies 3
jgueron
Academy Team
Academy Team

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (AAPI Heritage Month) πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬ πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅ πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­ πŸ‡°πŸ‡­ πŸ‡¨πŸ‡³

Thank you for the tag, Jen! My most significant professional influence is likely me first manager at my first internship in college. She was an extremely hard worker, but also owned all her opinions confidently. That was also the first internship where I had to deep dive into Excel, which paid off really well for other career opportunities! 

0 Upvotes
chuckchoi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Appreciate the kind words Jen! Before HubSpot, there was a time when I struggled to find a full time job. I worked at a Boston-based tech company where I was under a great mentor. Regardless of being a contract employee, she treated me like the any other full time employees and delegated me with tasks that could help me make an impact there. Happy to say that she is one of the most significant professional influence I had who taught me how to be inclusive and friendly at work!

0 Upvotes
BFisher
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Aww, thank you so much for the kind shoutout, @JenWeiss. At a former internship, I had a great coworker who was one of the only other Asians at the company, and she was super sweet in guiding me during my internship, and making sure I was learning as much as I could, as well as navigating the corportate world for the first time. I really appreciated that, and it made me feel less alone.