Social Tools

ABatko
Participant

No thumbnail in preview of social post

Hi all--trying to create a social media post with an embedded video in HubSpot's social media manager tool. But when I select the video from my video files in HubSpot, it appears in the preview screen without any thumbnail at all. Just a black screen. Even though a specific thumbnail has been selected in the file residing on HubSpot. And there is no editing option within the social tool to change or choose one. What am I missing? Any ideas?

3 Replies 3
webdew
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

Hi @ABatko ,

So the best thing that you can first of all is to make sure that they are following the steps and guidelines in this section of the article related to adding a video to social posts https://knowledge.hubspot.com/social/create-and-publish-social-posts#inserting-video 

Please note the criteria a video must meet to be added successfully to a social post.

so no thumbnail in preview of social post issue could be a transient error on your device. Can you try and add/ post the video using an incognito window to test if this is a caching error, please?

I'll need more information so it would be great if you can share some screenshot or file? It's likely that the first few milliseconds of the video are black, which is why the thumbnail is a black screen.  Since we will only see seconds on the video player though, it may appear that the first frame is a person clicking the phone, since that frame appears at the 0:00 second mark, but there is a black frame ahead of it.

But from first glance here, that sounds like the likely explanation here. As the thumbnail in the preview will always grab the first few images showing at the beginning of the video.

My solution here would be to trim the first few seconds of the video 🙂

Hope this helps!

If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.

Thanks and Regards.

ABatko
Participant

Thanks for your response, Tophaine. Sounds like there is no cure right now and that I will have to manually post the video to the sites I want so I can select the proper thumnail. Strange oversight on HubSpot's part.

TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ABatko 

Thank you for reaching out. 

This is expected behaviour at this stage for the social preview as explained here, I'd recommend upvoting this Idea in our Ideas Forum regarding this. You can also subscribe to the idea (Options > Subscribe) to get notified if the status changes. 

Thank you

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !