Social Tools

Luf

Hubspot overwriting UTM tags on Social Posts

Hi All,

Is there a way to disable Hubspot from overwriting our UTM tags for our social media posts (to both Facebook and LinkedIn)?

For example, Hubspot overwrites our UTM_Content to a string of numbers (eg.: utm_content=153483026). This makes it very difficult for us to analyse and track in Google Analytics. We want to use Google Analytics as our analytics tools. 

Thank you! 

11 Replies 11
MLamberti
Participant

We're currently experiencing this issue which makes it hard for us when reporting and analyzing performance. This is a necessary feature, especially when measuring campaign success. 

Hubspot, please look into this!

0 Upvotes
kkoltun
Contributor

This is also an issue for us. It would be great to include the option to not have HubSpot override like the feature in the email settings. A pretty necessary feature to include across any tracking links that would be generated.

0 Upvotes
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @kkoltun and @MLamberti,

Thanks for your feedback!

I would encourage you to this feedback in ideas forum (here). This is the best place to provide feedback on our tool as this forum is monitored by our product team.

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
0 Upvotes
RKneller
Contributor

Hi,

I'd like to add my +1 to this. 

Having set up a campaign with HubSpot of 75 posts across 3 channels, all with unique utm_content parameters, I have lost the ability in GA to recognise what posts performed well... or not so well!

I could go into each of the 75 posts and tie the randomly generated utm content back to what it was when setup in HS... but this isn't a sustainable way to measure campaign performance... and even more so when there's hundreds. 

SLoo
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi there, 

Inquiring on behalf of a customer - are there any plans to offer an option to disable the utm_content throug Social tools as part of HS product roadmap?

Cheers!

lizzybee
Participant

@DarrenTheThird 

Go to your marketing email area.

Then CLICK ON THE SETTING GEAR ICON

Then TRACKING on the top nav

Under "SOURCE TRACKING" select the second radio button: Add Source Tacking Only if No Existing Tags in URL

elyseanne
Participant

Does that address when links are published by social accounts, or just email? 

DarrenTheThird

Hi, I sent an email recently and it replaced source with hs_email

Is there a way to stop this happening?

0 Upvotes
Luf

Hi @PamCotton 

Thank you very much for your response. Does your system use the Utm_Term? If I use Utm_Term as a workaround would that also be affected?

Thank you! 

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Luf , I don't think we use it, I would recommend running a test just in case to confirm it that will change.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Luf 

At the moment it's part of our posting processing that hss_channel and utm_content are updated with details from the post in HubSpot. For most posts, this isn't an issue, because UTM_campaign, UTM_Medium, and UTM_Source are designed to be kept the same, but because you are using utm_content, that part of the URL can get overwritten (and hss_channel added at the end)
It looks like currently, there isn't a way to stop us from adding utm_content for posts posted using our social publishing tools.

I would highly recommend you to please post this idea at our ideas forum (here).

Our product team, who monitors the forum regularly, can read your specific use case and understand why this would be a useful functionality or change. It also helps other customers facing the same issue to advocate for its implementation on your behalf by upvoting on the thread as well.

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !