Social Tools

donrua
Top Contributor

Frustrated with changes to social post interface

(Edit Feb 15, 2023. Dev made some rapid changes, and my work has been very efficient with the social tool lately. Thanks to HS and the community.)

I popped into Social Post tool tonight to drop in an article I wanted to share across platforms, and was greeted with a very different process.

I went through all of the tour, but my experience for the next 20 minutes trying to post as I have been, was very frustrating, and I'm still not sure how to accomplish what I could.

I'll state, I'm a huge Hubspot fan, and used Social Posting alot. It was very efficient, very easy, and I would schedule 2-3 weeks at a time. That helped us, that saved dollars, that saved time. My typical approach is to start with a LI post, our primary platform, make sure it looks good, do all my wordsmithing. Then click copy for FB and two for Twitter.(just click, click, click) After adjusting the dates for the 2nd Tweet, I woudl remove the text links in FB and LI posts, as they don't need to have the text link for the og:image and headling and link to be active.

Tonight when I tried to post, I went to remove the text links from FB and LI post, but then they were removed as media too. So there's nothign left in the post or the preview except for my custom text opening. I did this 100's of times in old system, remove the text link, and the media remains for LI and FB. But it doesn't seem to in new system.

(edit: the below concern seems resolved, explained lower by HS expert. I just need to change my posting behavior to get everything done in Draft before I touch any of the platform versions. Once you do, the sync to draft is untethered. Feels a bit more cumbersome than the previous solution, it's not like I'm creating 1000 copies from a draft, then the scale would help. But it's workable.)
Also, when I make edits in my draft, when I add a custom text opening, then click on the LinkedIn (or any) version, the copy is not there? Why doesn't it accept what is in the draft editing window? So I have to go add my custom content to EVERY version? In the previous solution, I did it once, then cloned it and didn't need to modify any copy. Now I have to do for every platform?

donrua_1-1664492218863.png

We have schedules and work to get out the door in fast paced business. any help appreciated, or a way to get back to the old social posting that I really could use quickly and reliably.

13 Replies 13
donrua
Top Contributor

Tacos for the developers!

It appears they jumped on this issue quickly, and found a way to bring back the ability to remove the url link text, but keep the media and link active in the post. I just tried it out for LinkedIn and Facebook, and both of them behaved as I would expect. The link was removed in the text, but the media accompanied the post and it was clickable to get to the content source.

Thanks for all the feedback of others, and the attention of dev, community team, and our customer service liaison.

donrua_0-1665778280514.png

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @donrua,

Thank you for the kind feedback! I will pass it along to our developers and product team 🙂 

We're happy to hear that these changes improved your social media editor experience.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

All the best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
michellelewis
Contributor

I was just going through the exact same issues and came on here to look for answers lol. After going through everything with support I have opted out of the beta.

My specific issue was that I wanted to change the image in my draft LinkedIn post but leave the content link. I could do that in the previous interface but now when I try it keeps deleting the whole link. This was functionality I had in the previous iteration and used all the time. Now the link option pulls the image from the blog but it doesn't always fit nicely into the post. 

Also I used to be able to change the text title of the link. That's gone too. 😥

JWaack
Contributor

How did you manage to opt out? I don't see any option to change back to the old tool (because I would love to use it, the new one has so many weird changes that make life harder). 

donrua
Top Contributor

I haven't found a way, unfortunately. I've just stopped using Hubspot for Social Media since the changes. I haven't heard any update that allows me to do what I used to use it for, so I'm giving a bit of more waiting time. Soon however I will need to post, and I may have to go directly through the platforms till the issues are resolved. Hoping they can find a solution soon, it was super easy to use before, and  I'm going to want to schedule a few weeks of posts soon.

If I have to, I might slog through for the scheduling value and just accept the editing issue, or maybe check out some of the other social scheduling tools like Hootsuite. I think Feedly and SEMrush both have pinged me about it, I have accounts with them for other uses, but would prefer to use HS whenever possible.

I checked bottom left of screen and didn't have a back option or Beta tag as Michelle describes. I'm not sure what significant advantage the new UX provides, but there's a significant downside, so if I could shift back for a few months while they work on it.

michellelewis
Contributor

I was lucky enough to still have the option to opt out of the beta. There was a small green tab bottom left of the social main view. Now that I have opted out it has reverted to saying beta for opting in. Not sure how long i will be able to stay out though.

michellelewis_0-1665441937028.png

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @michellelewis,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the new social tool experience. I apologize for any frustration that this may have caused.

I have shared your feedback with the relevant team.  They are taking your input and other's similar input into account and prioritizing this functionality in the near future 🙂 

Best,

Kristen

danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

@donrua I feel this frustration. I wasn't totally thrilled with the testing I did. I found it to be cumbersome and not as intuitive as I'd have thought it would be. I created a draft, then edited each platform (expecting it to hold) and I ended up with several drafts that i had to delete. 

Did you give all this feedback in the tool itself where they ask us what we think? They will see that, so I was very honest in my feedback there. I'd also pop this into the ideas forum, since they watch that closely, too. Hopefully they work out the bugs and we end up with a very powerful tool. 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
donrua
Top Contributor

Thanks, Dan. I gave some, but I also made a Loom recording of trying to get my posts correctly scheduled, and narrated my thought bubbles out loud as I tried to accomplish my task. Similar to UX studies. I shared the video with our HS acct mgr who we really like. 
I didn't include a concern about previously scheduled dates not showing up in the calendar, because if I flip to October I could see them, but when I was opening up Sept last night to choose a date, it wouldn't show me the dates in the first week of October, I I think it used to do that. See screen shot beow. I have posts scheduled for first week of Oct, but doesn't show here. If I advance the month, they show.

donrua_0-1664549553341.png   

donrua_1-1664549624159.png

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @donrua and @danmoyle,

Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback about our updated social media tool.

I checked our internal resources and found that the draft tool is working as designed. The team was able to provide some further clarity on how to use it. If you start in the "Draft" tab prior to making any edits in each separate network tab for LinkedIn, Facebook etc, the content will be reflected across all networks. Once you make an edit to a single network post, LinkedIn for example, that "tether" to the draft no longer exists, because unique changes to that post have been made - but all other posts would still reflect whatever text/media is added to the draft tab. 

If the draft part isn't clear, please let me know and I can share a Loom describing the behavior 🙂

The URL preview behavior is something the product team is considering, but they don't have it prioritized yet.  I cannot promise that they will revert back the feature, however, I have shared your feedback with the relevant team. 

Best,

Kristen

0 Upvotes
danmoyle

@kvlschaefer thank you for the reply. Do you mind creating a Loom? When I set up posts, it still gave me drafts in my drafts that I had to delete because it scheduled all the posts in the correct platforms. It's like it's doubling up. Probably user error, but it was strange behavior indeed. 

Appreciate you! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
donrua
Top Contributor

Thanks vonloesecke. Yes, that makes sense now. I need to change how I approach the setup, but that should be a valued improvement.
That was not clear to me, or didn't stick, when I took the tour. Perhaps a short "just in time" video walk-through would ahve helped, or email out a video walk through to all users who have sessions in the Social Tool, prior to new feature launch. (just suggestions).
Until the FB and LI media dropping is resolved, I will probably avoid using the social tool, post directly on platforms. When I leave the url text in the LI and FB posts, I get reminders from execs "you know you don't have to keep the text link in the post, please remove".

The feature was in HS the past two years. Here's a screenshot of a prior social post. I've highlighted that when I hover over the title or the image, it's an active link and shows up in browser footer, even though the text url was removed from the copy above.

Sharing links to 3rd party news stories for our industry is a major use of social for us. 

donrua_0-1664817891976.png

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone!

@donrua - Thank you so much for your feedback! You bring up valid points with the previous social tool experience. The product team is working to improve the composer. I'm not able to promise a timeline, but please know that your feedback is much appreciated and is being taken into account as they improve the social tool (this goes for you too @danmoyle) 🙂

@danmoyle - That sounds like a strange experience indeed! 

Please see this video of the draft behavior: https://www.loom.com/share/b8c2e1dbf9ae4d368eb1d1e0cbb98dbc 

If you're experiencing something different, would you mind sharing a Loom with me so I can check with the team to see if this is expected behavior?

Thank you!

Best,

Kristen