Social Tools

LaurenFPA
Membre

Change a video thumbnail - scheduling social posts

Résolue

Hi All, 

How do I change a video thumbnail when scheduling social posts? i.e. when uploading a video to YouTube, you are able to select a thumbnail or upload a new screen grab - can't seem to choose on Hubspot, and the thumbnail the system is selecting is not ideal - and rather random. 

Any help appreciated. 

Thanks,

Lauren

1 Solution acceptée
Mike_Eastwood
Solution
Conseiller clé | Partenaire solutions Gold

Résolue

Hi @LaurenFPA  and anyone else interested.

Unfortunately the Social Media publishing ignores the Custom Thumbnail image... the image shows up right through the process until it's published - the video resorts to the first frame (because of the autoplay). 

However, with the new video functionality (in HubSpot Marketing Pro or Enterprise) you can change the thumbnail if you're embedding videos into HubSpot pages.

Assuming you have uploaded and embedded your video:

1. click on the video to show the "Edit | Remove" pop-up

2. click on the video to show the "Video Options" pop-up

3. click "Edit video details" which slides in a panel from the right of the screen

4. click "Change thumbnail image" below the video preview

5. upload your Thumbnail image

Also, this is a good opportunity to optimes your video for SEO.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for Custom Thumbnails

Mike

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

20 Réponses
CMB2
Participant

Résolue

I would like this feature please.

vocana
Membre

Résolue

I hired Hubspot professional because I wanted to be able to have it all in one. But I am so disappointed right now not being able to post correctly. Any idea when this might change?

kvlschaefer
Gestionnaire de communauté

Résolue

Hi @vocana,

I'd recommend upvoting and subscribing to this Idea and this Idea in our Ideas Forum.

Our product team, who monitors the forum regularly, can read your specific use case and understand why this would be a useful functionality or change. It also helps other customers facing the same issue to advocate for its implementation on your behalf by upvoting on the thread as well.

Thank you,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
LGrundhoefer
Participant

Résolue

Having thumbnail and caption capabilities is absolutely vital for Social Media Managers... this will affect our social engagement by a longshot. Is there a timeline on when this will be added?

TiphaineCuisset

Résolue

Hi @LGrundhoefer 

Thank you for reaching out. This is not possible at this stage within HubSpot, I'd recommend upvoting this Idea and this Idea in our Ideas Forum regarding this. You can also subscribe to the idea (Options > Subscribe) to get notified if the status changes. 

Thank you

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

KNellebjerg
Participant

Résolue

@scottsidea Where did you find this? I agree there really needs to be a option to choose the thumbnail, like there is natively in the different platforms.

0 Votes
scottsidea
Participant

Résolue

Seems like there's a plugin of some sort you've enabled to help with the selection of a video thumbnail now? Looks like it worked OK in LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter, though it seems to autoplay, so I can't confirm 100%.  Not bad for those three, but Instagram is a horrible black box. When Instagram is a all about the images, having a black box in the stream is ridiculous. Is there a workaround?

0 Votes
RM-HS
Participant

Résolue

Annoying this. Now have to publish via LI, Tw directly instead 😞

0 Votes
nr_studiotools
Participant

Résolue

I also think it is quite important to change the start picture of videos that are posted via Hubspot directly - like you can do it also in the respective applications. It would be great if the options one have when scheduling via Hubspot would be extended... Otherwise it is still nicer to post via the actual applications... And the only advantage of Hubspot is  the scheduling...

loreeatzeeco
Participant

Résolue

This feature is available natively in tools like Buffer for advanced scheduling. This feature should be easy to add based on the current social media APIs. 

Keith07
Participant

Résolue

I've run into this issue when scheduling social posts - what I do is upload a video directly into the social post, and it automatically shows the first frame of the video when it goes live.

The problem is that I have autoplay turned off (as do many users, I imagine) and so I only see the first frame of the video both in Hubspot when scheduling and in the actual social channel when it goes live. The first frame of the video is literally a blank screen, so the thumbnail – which automatically shows the first frame – doesn't look good. I want to change that, but I don't have the option to change the thumbnail.

Is this something we can fix or update? Thanks all!

jennysowyrda

Résolue

Hi @Keith07,

As most videos begin by fading in from black or white, and that will be the first frame that the social tool picks up, one workaround would be to make custom thumbnail and set that image as the first frame of the video. This will ensure that is the thumbnail the tool picks up.

Thank you,
Jenny

Mike_Eastwood
Solution

Résolue

Hi @LaurenFPA  and anyone else interested.

Unfortunately the Social Media publishing ignores the Custom Thumbnail image... the image shows up right through the process until it's published - the video resorts to the first frame (because of the autoplay). 

However, with the new video functionality (in HubSpot Marketing Pro or Enterprise) you can change the thumbnail if you're embedding videos into HubSpot pages.

Assuming you have uploaded and embedded your video:

1. click on the video to show the "Edit | Remove" pop-up

2. click on the video to show the "Video Options" pop-up

3. click "Edit video details" which slides in a panel from the right of the screen

4. click "Change thumbnail image" below the video preview

5. upload your Thumbnail image

Also, this is a good opportunity to optimes your video for SEO.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for Custom Thumbnails

Mike

MDrake
Participant

Résolue

This is so not the answer to the above question. 😣

0 Votes
PamCotton

Résolue

Hello @MDrake, just wanted to confirm that the solution provided by @Mike_Eastwood is to be able to change a thumbnail. Were you not able to follow these steps? If not, the more information, screenshots, and details you can provide, the better I can advise on the next steps. 

Thank you!

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

pger
Participant

Résolue

Great solution. Works fine:)

scubes13
Participant

Résolue

Doesn't this lessen the impact of video in Social Media as platforms prefer and give greater weight to videos that are uploaded into their systems rather than links to other sites with embedded videos?

ellierdz
Contributeur

Résolue

Hi do we know if they are planning to solve this? Some of the videos we get start with a fade black image and it doesn't look very appealing and we really want to schedule our posts through Hubspot. Thanks

roisinkirby
Équipe de développement de HubSpot
Équipe de développement de HubSpot

Résolue

Hey @LaurenFPA I do not believe this functionality is currently possible.

0 Votes
CarlEngh
Participant

Résolue

Thumbnails and subtitle support is needed. Most people won't open a video without a nice thumbnail and videos are often watched without sound.