Change a video thumbnail - scheduling social posts

SOLVE
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi All, 

How do I change a video thumbnail when scheduling social posts? i.e. when uploading a video to YouTube, you are able to select a thumbnail or upload a new screen grab - can't seem to choose on Hubspot, and the thumbnail the system is selecting is not ideal - and rather random. 

Any help appreciated. 

Thanks,

Lauren

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Regular Advisor | Silver Partner

Hi @LaurenFPA  and anyone else interested.

Unfortunately the Social Media publishing ignores the Custom Thumbnail image... the image shows up right through the process until it's published - the video resorts to the first frame (because of the autoplay). 

However, with the new video functionality (in HubSpot Marketing Pro or Enterprise) you can change the thumbnail if you're embedding videos into HubSpot pages.

Assuming you have uploaded and embedded your video:

1. click on the video to show the "Edit | Remove" pop-up

2. click on the video to show the "Video Options" pop-up

3. click "Edit video details" which slides in a panel from the right of the screen

4. click "Change thumbnail image" below the video preview

5. upload your Thumbnail image

Also, this is a good opportunity to optimes your video for SEO.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for Custom Thumbnails

Mike

6 Replies 6
Community Manager

Hey @LaurenFPA I do not believe this functionality is currently possible.

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Thumbnails and subtitle support is needed. Most people won't open a video without a nice thumbnail and videos are often watched without sound.  

Regular Advisor | Silver Partner

Hi @LaurenFPA  and anyone else interested.

Unfortunately the Social Media publishing ignores the Custom Thumbnail image... the image shows up right through the process until it's published - the video resorts to the first frame (because of the autoplay). 

However, with the new video functionality (in HubSpot Marketing Pro or Enterprise) you can change the thumbnail if you're embedding videos into HubSpot pages.

Assuming you have uploaded and embedded your video:

1. click on the video to show the "Edit | Remove" pop-up

2. click on the video to show the "Video Options" pop-up

3. click "Edit video details" which slides in a panel from the right of the screen

4. click "Change thumbnail image" below the video preview

5. upload your Thumbnail image

Also, this is a good opportunity to optimes your video for SEO.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for Custom Thumbnails

Mike

Occasional Contributor

Hi do we know if they are planning to solve this? Some of the videos we get start with a fade black image and it doesn't look very appealing and we really want to schedule our posts through Hubspot. Thanks

I've run into this issue when scheduling social posts - what I do is upload a video directly into the social post, and it automatically shows the first frame of the video when it goes live.

The problem is that I have autoplay turned off (as do many users, I imagine) and so I only see the first frame of the video both in Hubspot when scheduling and in the actual social channel when it goes live. The first frame of the video is literally a blank screen, so the thumbnail – which automatically shows the first frame – doesn't look good. I want to change that, but I don't have the option to change the thumbnail.

Is this something we can fix or update? Thanks all!

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @Keith07,

As most videos begin by fading in from black or white, and that will be the first frame that the social tool picks up, one workaround would be to make custom thumbnail and set that image as the first frame of the video. This will ensure that is the thumbnail the tool picks up.

Thank you,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes