Social Media

LeeMcKenzie
Participant

Marketing Assistant- Social Media

Hello everyone, 

I am Lee, fresh out the crib (college) and currently working for a Refrigeration company as a Social Media Content Creator. I would like to advance my skills in social media and digital marketing in general. All tips and advice are welcomed!

15 Replies 15
Rjani1

Sure! My pleasure! I'd say that the foundation is learning and putting knowledge to the test. From a more practical point of view, I'd say: think of HubSpot Academy as a totally free gold mine. It's all there. EVERYTHING! Not just everything, but EVERYTHING! If you go through the courses with a proactive spirit you'll find ideas, criteria and first level training.

CDalion

Thankful 

jolle
Recognized Expert | Partner
Recognized Expert | Partner

@kvlschaefer thanks for tagging me! This is a super exciting time for you, @LeeMcKenzie!!

Tons of awesome advice here already, but I'll share some thoughts!

I'm just over 4 years into my digital marketing career that I started right out of the crib (I've always been agency-side). I began as a generalist with very limited experience outside of my marketing degree and a quick internship, so I was taking a bite out of everything I encountered to see what I liked! This is a great time to start figuring out what really interests you — what is the work that you look forward to doing? What do you feel like you're good at (or want to get better at)? 

In your role as a Social Media Content Creator, you get to touch a ton of aspects that carry over into other areas of digital marketing:

1. You're curating content and probably working with visuals just as much as copy — these skills transfer directly into digital ads creative, email creative, and landing page/website creative
  2. You're working to best define your target audience, reach them, and provide relevant content to them — these skills embody inbound marketing! They transfer to really any campaign targeting, content creation (email, blogs, website pages), and reporting
  3. You're engaging with a community and listening for their wants/needs — very few digital marketing tactics work indefinitely once they're deployed. There are almost always tweaks and iterations that you'll make as you gather more data, so getting in this mindset will prepare you for any digital marketing role that you want!
  4. You're collaborating with other parts of the overall marketing strategy — you're likely using social as a means of promoting other marketing efforts (events, offers, content), and you get to deliver those efforts directly to the end user (and gather their feedback). Think of yourself as a piece of the greater puzzle. You're not just sharing a social post — you're promoting an event to generate qualified leads that hopefully turn into customers! 

I'm definitely getting ahead of myself here, but I hope you can see the awesome opportunities that you have! 

Here are some final pro tips that I wish I had when I was starting out:

1. If you can report on bottom-line business impacts (leads generated, meetings booked, deals closed) instead of vanity metrics (clicks, impressions, views), you're instantly ahead of the pack. Anyone can tell you how many engagements a social post had. Fewer people than you think are willing to tie a social campaign to actual business outcomes. It's definitely easier to pull a quick engagement report and walk away, but going that extra step will make you invaluable to the people you're helping (and you get the satisfaction of seeing the actual outcomes of your hard work!)
  2. What you/your team/your boss think is going to work will not always work. Always put yourself in the shoes of the person you're trying to reach. Does the offer seem appealing to them? Are you speaking their language? Do they have enough options to choose their own path? It's easy to think of marketing as a linear path (Propsect > Lead > Customer), but it's rarely that simple. Don't feel like you need to force a lead down a predefined path because it seems "inbound" or delivers content in the order that you think makes the most sense. Totally fine to make strong recommendations to your audience, but you should be empowering them to make the decisions that make the most sense for their use case
  3. Make sure your job is offering you the growth opportunities that you deserve. If you ever feel confined to the same type of work and aren't able to explore other areas that interest you, that's an awesome conversation to have with your employer. If they can't give you what you're after, don't be afraid to look elsewhere. Remember how transferrable your skills are — you can do anything that you want to!

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you in your journey 🙂

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
LeeMcKenzie
Participant

Wow thank you so much!

Definitely trying to figure out my strengths (and weaknesses) and what I like and want to get better at!

RJaglan
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

Hi @LeeMcKenzie,

Welcome to the club and congrats on your next adventure. It's going to be an exciting roller coaster ride.

Well, in the HubSpot community, you have already got really insightful advice from the best ( buyer persona from @danmoyle  , Opportunity gap in Competitor landscape @Jnix284 & experimental website & account  @kvlschaefer  ) And bookmarks are 💚

I will keep it crisp and short: 

Data driven decisions & storytelling:  Start using data at an early stage of your career in storytelling and curating your content. When feelings don't work, numbers do wonders!

Don't sell (market) your product, sell(market) your solution: People don't care about the product, they care about how your product will going to solve their problem. Right messaging is important and for that, you need the buyer's persona.

And one last thing that I learned from my experience scaling brands from 0 to 100,000 followers or generating millions of revenue whatever you would like to keep as a benchmark.

You are not just competing with your competitors anymore, you are also competing with your customer's last best experience. Think from that point of view while crafting content and you will scale at the speed of light (i.e 10x in the marketing world)

Best,
Rahul

🖤 from Berlin

Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

@RJaglan YES! love this... "you are competing with your customer's last best experience." 🙌

every marketer, salesperson, team member needs to soak that in. 

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

RJaglan

Danke shön 💚 @Jnix284 

danmoyle

Welcome to the study group @LeeMcKenzie and congratulations on your next season! 

Thank you for the tag @kvlschaefer - you're such a collaborative spirit (a lesson there for you, Lee 😊).

In addition to what Kristen and @Jnix284 have said, I'll add a few thoughts. 

Buyer persona - this is huge. Knowing your persona, including which social platforms they're active and engaged on, is important. You might love Instagram, but if your persona is active on TikTok, you may want to consider leaning into more TikTok content to reach them. Persona research, and putting that research to use, is a great place to start. 

I love learning. So the academy courses are great. I also look to others like Social Media Examiner, Marketing Twitter, and some podcasts (like Online Marketing Made Easy  and Social Pros) for inspiration and education.

Test. Test. Test. This is critical to any marketing, but especially in social media marketing. Testing platforms, media type, times of day, content ... but make sure you're keeping track of your testing. Set benchmarks, set a hypothesis and test it, look at the results & analyze, then iterate. 

Finally, I love what you're already doing: Being curious and open to coaching. Keep that up. 

Welcome and all the best on this new chapter! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
LeeMcKenzie
Participant

Thank you!

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @LeeMcKenzie,

Welcome to the Social Media Study Group and the Community!

I majored in International Relations and Spanish with a minor in International Business, and found my passion for digital and social media marketing while working a real estate summer job as an undergrad! 

I would be happy to share some tips with you: 

1) Start learning the basics: Take marketing courses such as HubSpot's Social Media, Digital Marketing and Content Marketing certifcations.  

2) Bookmark your favorite digital marketing and social media sites, and consume there content daily to keep up on the trends. 

3) Apply your learnings at your work as a Social Media Content Creator and create a personal social media account and website on the side where you can experiment and learn without having an impact on your company. 

4) Find your specialization. As you advance in your career, note down the things that excite you about marketing. Do you like content marketing? Does email marketing fascinate you? Let your employer know and see how they can support you with your growth 🙂

5) Connect with like-minded individuals. The Community and LinkedIn are great places to connect with professionals and recent grads. Networking is great way to find a mentor or even a job opportunity!

6) Be patient and curious. A career is a never-ending journey with lots of learning opportunities. As you start off in your role or any role in fact, you may feel overwhelmed with new tasks. Take a step back and breathe, you got this! Ask questions! 🙂  Asking questions is one of the best ways to learn at work and can open many doors.

I would also like to invite our Community Members to this conversation to see if they can share their expertise and experiences. 

Hi @danmoyle@Jnix284@RJaglan@miguel_lage@ThatChristinaG@jolle@ericajfinley  - Do you have any tips you could share with @LeeMcKenzie on getting started in a digital marketing career?

Thank you! 

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
LeeMcKenzie
Participant

Thank you @kvlschaefer. I look forward to learning more and sharing knowledge with you all!

Jnix284

Thanks @kvlschaefer , I really like the idea of setting up an expiremental account and website.

Congrats @LeeMcKenzie on your graduation and new role, this is definitely an exciting time to start a role in digital marketing and social media.

In addition to the excellent suggestions so far, I would add just two things:

1. Don't just look at what your competitors are doing - also look at what they are not doing.

2. Don't just look at your competitors or top accounts - find accounts that are the best in their industry to get new ideas.

And it also really helps to clearly define your audience, who you're talking to on each platform.

Best of luck in the new role, I look forward to seeing more posts from you as you start tackling the exciting challenges ahead!

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

LeeMcKenzie
Participant

Sound advice. Thank you! Looking forward to applying these and much more!

miguel_lage
Contributor | Elite Partner
Contributor | Elite Partner

Sure! My pleasure! I'd say that the foundation is learning and putting knowledge to the test. From a more practical point of view, I'd say: think of HubSpot Academy as a totally free gold mine. It's all there. EVERYTHING! Not just everything, but EVERYTHING! If you go through the courses with a proactive spirit you'll find ideas, criteria and first level training.

On the other hand you have a second gold mine, also totally free: this wonderful HubSpot community that will always be here for you to help you with any specific question!

@LeeMcKenzie , I hope this helps a little bit and best of luck!!!! 

Cheers!

LeeMcKenzie
Participant

Thank you so much!