Social Media

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is TikTok the new America's Funniest Home Videos? 🤔

I recently saw a post on social media that stated that America's Funniest Home Videos (known as AFV) is the Baby Boomer Generation's version of Tik-Tok. I was a bit offended since I love AFV  and I'm not that old, but that's beside the fact. It did get me thinking, 'Is Tik-Tok the new America's Funniest Home Videos? 

For our international study group members, America's Funniest Home Videos is a television series where contestants submit home videos (mostly between 5-30) seconds for a chance to be featured on television. The videos range from family members doing silly things to dogs just being dogs🤣

We have seen video engagement platforms evolve throughout the years from contestants sending in their content to shows to content creators and brands using TikTok and Reels as part of their social media strategy.

What do you think? Is TikTok replacing entertainment on television? Have you seen this in other social media trends? And what do you think the pros and cons of moving content from television to social media are?

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
7 Replies 7
MMitchell38

I believe that for the younger crowd, platforms like TikTok might just take the place of classic shows like America's Funniest Home Videos. Cable subscription rates are dropping while TikTok's audience is skyrocketing with countless new users hopping on board every day. On average, folks are spending about an hour each day scrolling through its addictive algorithm. The bite-sized video format is just so darn convenient, you know? You can tailor it to fit your viewing habits, making it hard to put down.

It's a real shake-up for the TV stations, and I can't help but think they'll be facing some serious hurdles in about a decade. The older bunch, the Gen Xers and Boomers, they'll probably stick to their TV sets like glue. But winning over the newer crowd? That's going to be a tough nut to crack. It's almost funny, really. I've got subscriptions to Netflix, Disney +, Prime, and whatnot, probably racking up a bill that's just as hefty as a standard TV package. But heck, I'd still pick my streaming services any day. Why? Because I get to call the shots on what's playing on my screen.

0 Upvotes
itsbacl

It definitely is because it’s the most popular app now. At least I got this impression. People use Facebook less and less, and TikTok is new and fresh. Something new is always more interesting than old. It is the fastest-growing app now, so it’s so much easier to get new followers there. The algorithm shows the videos to the people interested in them, and your videos will also be shown to those interested in the topic. So many small businesses use it to promote their products and get more orders. Thankfully, there are boosters like https://enforcesocial.com/buy-tiktok-followers that can help you get a few hundred more real followers and make your account look more reliable.

CMeche
Participant

Hi! Yes, I do think short clip videos found on TikTok and Reels are definitely filling the same need as what AFV did. I'm surprised that the TV show Right This Minute has made a play to take the spot of AFV. The only difference for TikTok and Reels? They are not moderated or bound to a 1-hour viewing window. It's an endless supply of short video after short video, and the topics have really branched out. It includes how-tos as well as antics. Anything that grabs attention is worthy (according to the algorithms at least). Black Mirror anyone? 

As more people move away from a specific viewing window found on cable TV to on-demand, it only makes sense that it will replace this form of media. On-demand fills board spaces in people's lives.

Question - Do you feel you need/miss the moderator from AFV or RTM? 

Kat_Nap
Contributor

For (younger) Millenials and younger generations, I do think TikTok (and similiar platforms) will replace America's Funniest Home Videos and shows like it. Rates for cable subscription are going down, while TikTok audience is in the millions with new users signing up constantly. Average daily time on the platform is about one hour. The TikTok algorithm is addictive, and the short video format is convenient to consume, and customize depending on your watch time. 

In general, I think TV stations will have a huge problem in another 10 years or so. Gen X and Boomers will most likely never give it up, but it's going to be harder and harder to gain a new target audience with younger generations. It's kinda funny, the amount of subscriptions I have (Netflix, Disney +, Prime, etc.) is probably just as much as a standard TV subscription, but I'd still rather have my streaming services over cable because I get to chose what I want to watch.

Ehrlich
Contributor

Hi Kristen, I don't think TikTok will completely replace entertainment on television, at least not for millienials and baby boomers.

And considering that we have Netflix and other companies dedicated to creating tv entertainment for everyone, I think people generally will still want to enjoy movies either at home or cinemas.

I got a question though.

Does anyone think that the recent decline in Facebook stocks is somehow showing that a lot of people will continue to spend more time on platforms like TikTok and Instagram that allows users to become influencers and creators in their chosen niches?

Is Facebook getting outdated? And how do you think metaverse can improve the platform especially for gen z users?

kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all! 

Do you think TikTok is replacing entertainment on television? Have you seen this in other social media trends? And what do you think the pros and cons of moving content from television to social media are?

@AMujidat@DavidDennison@EKnaack@CSorensen@faizanx@RSinha95@Ehrlich@jfngan29@NWalker4@MJohnson51@BrianaBard 

Thanks!

Kristen 

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
EKnaack
Contributor

This is a great question. I think the answer is YES, we've seen Snapchat creating mini-series through their platform for the last couple of years. I think that everyone is moving to watch everything on their phones. I find myself watching youtube on my phone when I know I can easily pull it up on my tv  I don't know why I don't lol. Love to hear from others what they think.