Social Media

CMcDaniel8
Participant

Always looking for ways to improve!

Hi all!

I'm Cayla. I do social media for a small tattoo skincare product line. I am very new to the social media marketing side of things, so very willing to learn and accept new ideas and help when its offered. My strength in the market seems a bit counterproductive. I thrive in photo editing and design as well as bringing new Ideas to market our brand,  however putting those ideas into action seem to be where I lack innovation. 

I am here to soak in all the kowledge. 

If I can help anyone with my 2 cents as well I would be glad to! 😊

12 Replies 12
robert70

Hi!

If you're having trouble turning your ideas into actions, one strategy you could try is breaking down the process into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying the ultimate goal of your idea and then work backwards, creating a list of tasks that need to be completed in order to achieve that goal.

One way to stay organized and on track is by using a project management system. This could be as simple as creating a to-do list in a notebook, or using a more advanced tool like Asana or Trello. The key is to find a system that works for you and that you'll actually use.

In addition to keeping track of tasks, it can be helpful to set up reminders for yourself to stay focused and motivated. This could be in the form of emails, phone notifications, or messages in a chat platform like Slack. Whatever method you choose, the important thing is to find a way to stay accountable and ensure that you're making progress towards your goals.

0 Upvotes
jolle
Recognized Expert | Partner
Recognized Expert | Partner

Welcome, and great questions, @CMcDaniel8!

There's already tons fo great insight here from @JenBergren and @danmoyle us usual, but I'll share some additional thoughts in case they're helpful!

It's awesome that you're recognizing the areas where you feel strong and areas where you feel like you can improve. That is an incredible mindset to have! Here are some thoughts for you:

Listen to your audience. Super cliche, but pay close attention to what resonates with your audience. It's super daunting if you feel like you need to start from scratch every time you're putting something new out there, but your audience may already be telling you exactly what they want to see! And this shouldn't just be a review of your audience's engagement with your content — you should have a sense for the other types of content they tend to consume to better understand their preferences. Always put yourself in the shoes of your target audience — what do they want to see? What's valuable to them? Like Dan said, you can build engagement outside of your social posts with donwloadable content specific to their interests.

Listen to your competition. When something works, other people will try to replicate it. I'm not an advocate for copying and pasting directly from other brands like you, but that doesn't mean that you can't learn from them! Some competitors in your space are probably blazing their own trail, effectively testing new strategies on your behalf! Whether they're successful or not, you can learn from and be inspired by them. This is all super generalized, and you should never obsess over the competition like you would your audience, but you should be aware of what's happening around you. You'll likely find gaps that you can fill, concepts that can be improved, and strategies that you will avoid at all costs.

Published is better than perfect. If you're struggling with bringing ideas to life, take the pressure off of yourself! The way you learn and grow is by doing, and you tend to learn way more when you miss the mark than when you do. It can be intimidating to take your ideas and creations and share them with the world, especially when you learn pretty quickly if they're going to be received negatively or positively. However, you don't know if you don't try, and the areas that you're trying to perfect may not even be relevant or noticeable to your target audience. I've found myself pouring my heart and soul into something and getting it exactly the way I think it should be — then I realize that I may not be aligned with what the audience wants. I also think that authenticity and humanization go a long way (especially for tattoo skincare products). When posts and other messaging are absolutely polished and perfect, they tend to feel less real and trustworthy. As long as you're genuine in what you do, it'll work out 🙂

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you in your marketing journey!!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
lgwams
Participant

Thank you so much for your advice🙏🏻🙏🏻

0 Upvotes
CMcDaniel8
Participant

Thank you so much for such wonderful information! I also love the published is better than perfect statement... I get so inside my head when I think somehting isn't good enough to be seen or my audience wont take what I'm sharing seriously that I refraine from sharing. But you're absolutely right! 

danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

👏👏👏 @jolle love that! Especially "published is better than perfect." How often have I waited too long to publish because of perfection paralysis... ugh!

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
JenBergren
Guide

Hi @CMcDaniel8 ! For the putting ideas into actions challenge, I would suggest working backwards from your idea's goal, the finish point, and creating the steps to make that idea happen as tasks in a project management system. The key is to find/create a system that reminds you to actually do the tasks, whether that's emailing you, popping up a notification on your phone, sending an automated mesage to Slack, or other way to remind you of the work to be done. I hope that is helpful!

Thanks!
Jen Bergren
Human-Centered Operations Leader, HubSpot SuperFan, Instructional Design and Lifelong Learning Advocate
Connect with me on Linkedin
danmoyle

Yes! Love this, @JenBergren ! 🙌 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
danmoyle

Hi Cayla! Welcome to the marketing world and to the HubSpot Community. You're on a great track, asking for advice and being open to learning. That's a great first step for sure. 

On the ideas versus execution/implementation struggle, I get that. I love brainstorming and coming up with new ideas, and sometimes lack the action step. I've found that consistency is key. The collaboration step is fun and exciting, but putting it into action takes discipline (at least for me). If you're struggling with that, I found that setting aside the work time on my calendar when I typically feel fresh helps me focus on that execution work. 

As for innovation, I find inspiration here in the community and in the HubSpot content. Academy is great (have you gone through the Social Media Marketing certification?) and not only educates but spurs ideas. 

One final thought: How are you measuring success in your marketing? For tattoo skincare products, are you selling directly to consumers or partnering with tattoo artists to offer your products in their shops? Thinking through your personas and community, and how to serve them, can help frame what metrics are important. 

Hope that helps. Happy marketing, @CMcDaniel8

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
CMcDaniel8
Participant

@danmoyle

Thank you so much for the reply! I appreciate the feed back. I am currently (slowly) working through the certifications, as I do have a full time job as well. Once I finish the certification course I know I will have a much brighter understanding of how to navigate through this. If I'm being honest, it's only been a couple of months... Our brand tries to be very consistant with our content, except for Tik Tok (I am still gunshy about that platform so that's a slow process). As far as your question about measuring success, we are a small but growing company so we are trying to measuer our success by brand recognition, SM followers, and testimonials. We thrive on the support of our Pro Team artist  around the country to help drive sales of our products, not only in their shops but push online as well, and we have a small circle of brand ambassadors as well.  

danmoyle

That all sounds fantastic, @CMcDaniel8! Keep moving ahead, one step at a time. Consistency is definitely important, and it sounds like you're doind it. 

I'd definitely use TikTok as an avenue. There's a great tattoo community there. I love creating content there, and consuming it too!

For measurements, those all sound like a good start for sure. If I may suggest, I'd also think about taking those social views to a website, where maybe you have premium content they can find (hopefully in exchange for an email) so you can build trust, build an owned audience, and even build a sales journey. Just one dude's two cents. 😊

Keep enjoying and evolving. You got this! 

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great suggestions, @danmoyle!

You rock 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @CMcDaniel8,

Thank you for reaching out to the Social Media Study Group and welcome to the Community!

I would like to add our community members to see if they have advice. 

Hi @danmoyle@jolle@JenBergren - Do you have any tips or recommendations for @CMcDaniel8?

Thank you!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !