"Something went wrong" when uploading contacts

SOLVE
Highlighted
New Contributor

When I try to upload contacts I get an error page saying "something went wrong". This happens on the Import Details page. 

 

I can upload companies without an issue, but we have too many contacts to manually enter. Please help!

Reply
0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
HubSpot Employee

Hi @mskinner,

 

Welcome to the Hubspot Community and thank you for your question!

 

I have found that users see a "Something went wrong" error message during the import process when a file is incorrectly encoded.  While it might be a CSV, it might not be encoded in UTF-8.  Would it be possible for you to put all of the current CSV data into a Google Sheet, and then export that Google Sheet as a CSV?  The encoding from Google Sheets often resolves many of these issues.  If that doesn't work, can you please private message me a link to the CSV that you're trying to import so that I can make sure that the formatting is okay?

 

Thanks,

Brett

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted
Solution
HubSpot Employee

Hi @mskinner,

 

Welcome to the Hubspot Community and thank you for your question!

 

I have found that users see a "Something went wrong" error message during the import process when a file is incorrectly encoded.  While it might be a CSV, it might not be encoded in UTF-8.  Would it be possible for you to put all of the current CSV data into a Google Sheet, and then export that Google Sheet as a CSV?  The encoding from Google Sheets often resolves many of these issues.  If that doesn't work, can you please private message me a link to the CSV that you're trying to import so that I can make sure that the formatting is okay?

 

Thanks,

Brett

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

If using MS Excel -
Open the file and "Save As".
Select "CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited) (*.csv)" - (under the file name)
Save.

Reply
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Member

 

Hi, I have the same issues. I've made an integration with my Salesforce to migrate the data, after first migration I've tried to import everything, but all 4k leads, 1.5k accounts synced with error (only emails, no company, first, last names, etc.), so I deleted all the recorts and tried to import data entitities (leads, contacts, accounts, etc.) one by one. And now each time I click Import from Contacts page, choose Salesforce, even before choosing any particular data type I see the error (something went wrong (screenshot attached)

Import.png

Reply
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Member

Hello, 

 

I keep trying to import leads. I had it working for 1M leads, and now when I try to import, I get "Sorry. Something went wrong on our end. Please try importing again." which I do, and it won't work. This keeps happening around 600k leads. Any advice? 

 

It seems to fail if I try over 3-4 imports (breaking the leads into 200k chunks). An old developer was able to make it work, but for some reason, I can't get the same result with the same leads. 

 

Best, 

Devin

Reply
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Member

See attached. Pic - I used the UTF-8 CSV format as well. 

 

 

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 12.52.49 AM.png

Reply
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Team, 

I'm trying to import an excel file to update the first name of contacts in my HubSpot account.  I keep getting the error 

"Sorry. Something went wrong. Please try importing again. "internal error"

I have tried making the file a UT 8 Csv file and copying to google sheets and exporting it into an excel sheet and I keep getting the same error. 

Reply
0 Upvotes