Wordpress integration overwrites data

Highlighted
New Contributor

We have a Wordpress website that delivers quotes from an initial enquiry form which presents results.

This form submission then posts to Hubspot sales and creates a record.

From the result the user selects one and then is required to submit further details.

This information then posts and amends the previous record.
Now that part is all straightforward and the customer's requirements can be added to a deal and dealt with.
The problem we have come across is that the same customer can request another set of results in a separate instance that they require in addition to their 1st request.
In an ideal world we'd have another instance created, but what the wordpress plugin does, is then overwrites the 1st set of data with the customer's new request.

This can be very confusing if the customer does multiple requests in a short time span.

Can anyone think of a solution that could help make this less confusing?

0 Upvotes
6 Replies
Community Thought Leader

If we understand what your saying correctly, it sounds like it's not the integration that's overwriting the data in HubSpot. It's the fact that the form being used to collect the information is set to drop a cookie when it does. (the default)

This (default) is there to help make sure that any new submissions from the same device are properly attributed to the same HubSpot Contact record. In most cases, this means the same visitor and is appropriate.

However, in your use case, this 'same device / same HubSpot Contact record' behavior is undesirable. Try disabling cookies from the options tab of your form being used to collect the data.

- see image

hubspot-forms-cookie-tracking-disabled.png

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution now.

Best,
Frank

Author, the Perfect HubSpot Series

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Frank,

I really appreciate you taking the time to submit your response.

You do understand me correctly however if we disable the cookie, we will not get the referral data and when they fill out the 2nd form this will create a separate record rather than adding to their basic details filled out in the 1st form.

The issue comes if they do a whole new request for a separate quote.

0 Upvotes
Community Thought Leader

Based on your description, sounds like custom dev, or like you may want to use a different forms tool. One that features ...

-- multi-stage / multi-page forms

-- the ability to use form entries to populate subsequent form entries

-- the ability to incorporate branching logic directly in the form

-- the ability to route to thank you pages based on form entries

- AND -

... wait for it ...

-- integrates with HubSpot!

Can anybody say, "Typeform"? haha Smiley Happy

Have a great day.

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution now.

Best,
Frank

Author, the Perfect HubSpot Series

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Connect on LinkedIn

Help find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

0 Upvotes
Visitor

Frank,

I'm with Sam. Thank you for the answer but we are looking for something different. Simplified example. We sell Apples, Oranges, Lemons and Carrots. For each product we have fields Amount (kilos), Delivery address and Today/Tomorrow radio button. Customer can visit our site multiple times to make a new order. We want to keep his details (name, email, visits history) but each form submission should be a new order (Order 1, Order 2, etc). However what we have now is each new submission overwrites  Amount (kilos), Delivery address and Today/Tomorrow fields with new values. That's undesirable. Can Hubspot handle our scenario?

0 Upvotes
Community Thought Leader

Ok @Andrey_, so ... while HubSpot's Marketing Automation platform and Sales Enablement Tools can be wrangled to solve for unintended use cases (e.g., auto-generating custom quotes, order placement, user registration, change management, project management, etc.), as earlier stated, yours doesn't seem to be one that can be solved without either an external integration, custom development, or both.

In other words, while we certainly expect HubSpot's cookie placement and cookie tracking to evolve, for now it is what it is.

Again, the recommendation is to either use a more customizable forms integration, an integration designed to generate custom quotes, and/or custom develop your own solution using HubSpots API.

0 Upvotes
Visitor

@MFrankJohnson , my simplified example is not our actual business case. It just explains what functionality Hubspot lacks. We have quote request for different products (looks like basic marketing task to me) and customer can make separate requests for different products. I'm sorry but I don't understand how it is unintended use case. Could you elaborate?

I agree with you suggesting custom development. However I can't develop something that Hubspot doesn't support and I don't see anything like multiple quotes or orders for a contact. No way of doing that with API as well. Contact can only have deals, tickets or attachments. 

0 Upvotes