Sales Integrations

dawngribble
Contributor

Wordpress Plugin Reduces Site Performance

SOLVE

I've had to uninstall the Hubspot Wordpress Plug-in from my website as it was responsible for a 20% reduction in performance. 

The forms work, but now I no longer have access to the Cookies notification and Live Chat options. Please see the performance reports here Website Performance

1 Accepted solution
Sjardo
Solution
Top Contributor | Elite Partner
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi everyone,

@MiaSrebrnjak got my attention that this is still an ongoing issue for many of you. I would love to try and help.

I run website with the HubSpot All-In-One Marketing - Forms, Popups, Live Chat and the Gravity Forms HubSpot Add-On plugin to connect HubSpot with a WordPress site. The site itself has visitors from allover the world and has an average LCP load of 1.8 s. The CRUX data: https://treo.sh/sitespeed/www.moso-bamboo.com

What are some key pointers that we did on the site:

• Have really good hosting (savvvii.com)
  • Optimize the website by 
    • Minimizing the weight of images
    • Lazyloading images
    • use as few as posible third-party domains
    • local host and preload fonts
    • Make sure the <head> is ordend in a reasonable way.
  • And importantly, educate the client how to keep it fast 😉

On the HubSpot part, keep the following in mind:

• if you use a pop-up anywhere, the script is loaded on every page (sadly)
  • If you use the HS chat - delay it for 7 seconds after a users gets on the page
  • Anything page-based or page-determaind setting is checked on every page, and if the conditions match, HS will load the rest. So try to do a little as possible.
  • HubSpot CTA's are slow. Try to avoid them and use tracking url's and parameters instead.

If you have detailed questions, give me an url to your site and i'll run a quickanalysis of what i see.

Best

View solution in original post

73 Replies 73
GilesTaylor

SOLVE

Pagespeed has a massive effect on Google Ads Quality Score and conversions. Hubspot is dragging its heels. 

ziadi
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @PamCotton,

Thanks for the updates, while we don't use Wordpress plugins (we use Hubspot CMS).. we also get similiar issues with the analytics code. This is interesting topic. Looking forward to hearing some updates. 

dawngribble
Contributor

SOLVE

Unfortunately, as this issue has still not been resolved (and doesn't look like it will be any time soon) I will be cancelling my Hubspot accounts and user services that don't knacker my website.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @dawngribble,

I would like to apologize for the frustrations, data issues, and business impact this has caused. Also wanted to mention that as much as I am advocating this in my end, our team is currently working on this, and we will be updating this thread as more information comes along.

If you would like to discuss more about your cancelation, your account manager would be able to assist you further with your request. 

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

Chesterblue

SOLVE
Until now there is still no concrete timeline on resolving the chatbot issue. Frustrated. It also causing our website image loading twice. I regret recommending HubSpot to our internal team, our clients and our clients as this significant issue hampered the efforts from our development team on optimising the website speed and our clients really think that we are not professional on the web technology.
RagingBull
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you for working on this Pam. I to have the same issues. Page loads are terrible on one of my client sites. Uninstall Hubspot - all fixed. Please keep us posted. 

0 Upvotes
torsteino
Participant

SOLVE
@PamCotton - That is true, and thats the reason I have not ditched hubspot. But - the thing is, A LOT of people will just see the page speed score (or similar), without noticing that it really seems worse than it really is, and that makes it a very real problem.
upsangel
Participant

SOLVE
+1
I hv ditched HS plugin due to its bulky and dragging.
But I don't blame them, as I am using it for free. Similar story happens to Facebook embedded js and Wordpress' famous Jetpack.

I like hubspot as a CRM, hereby below my way of walking around:

I use Contact Form 7 instead of Hubspot form. Then I use API like zappier to sync CF7 - Google Sheet - Hutspot.

I use Popup Maker to create pop up.

I only deploy Hubspot chat on some critical pages.

Forget about the HS analytics, u will find other alternaive.

The key is: DON'T INSERT THE HS CODE ON EVERY PAGES unless necessary.
0 Upvotes
elister
Participant

SOLVE

@davidlykhim I'm also looping into this thread as we've noticed the same issue. Has there been any resolution with the Hubspot plugin for wordpress and speed site?

davidlykhim
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi all, sorry for the ambiguous timeline as we've been digging into this. We've done many small optimizations that wouldn't require rebuilding the entire tracking code (very risky) and have seen small speed improvements, though we aren't where we want to be.

What probably isn't surprising is we found the biggest reason for the perceived website slowdown is the live chat widget.

If you take a look at this report (this takes two empty websites, one with live chat, one without) we see the full page is loaded in the same amount of time in both scenarios, but the page with the live chat widget takes ~3 more seconds to load the chat widget. So the webpage is already loaded, the extra time is just for the chat widget.

Our chat team is currently working through a laundry list of performance improvements for the chat widget.

We're being cautious and chipping away at the challenge before we attempt anything invasive or risky that might affect the other HubSpot tools you're using on your website.

Thanks for your patience and understanding here.

If you'd like to chat about this and provide more feedback, please feel free to reach out to me dkhim[at]hubspot[dot]com

torsteino
Participant

SOLVE

@davidlykhim - Any updates on this? I really cant see any technical reason why you guys need to use so many different domains/subdomains for this.

I am working on optimizing a site right now for a customer, and just by removing the hubspot tracking code the lighthouse score goes up about 20 points. Thats NOT good. I also use hubspot on my own site, and the hubspot scripts really slow things down A LOT, its quite embarassing.

Martinebr

SOLVE

Same here. The chatbot was one of the feature for which we purchase hubspot. Turning it off is not what we want when we already pay for it. But the impact on our speed is really big.

I want to add my voice to the chorus to emphasize the importance of resolving this quickly and improve the page speed of our website.

Please keep us posted.

ReneeB
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for the response David.  We figured that out sometime ago.  We really don't want to have to implement Drift or similar.  The chatbox was one of the features we were looking for when we purchased HubSpot.  But the page speed loading is an issue.  Is there any hope that a resolution is coming quickly?

davidlykhim
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @dawngribble, @Univoip@cvps@kiloj@SDental,

David here. I'm responsible for the WordPress plugin. To be transparent, we've been aware of this challenge with the tracking code and have been keeping an eye on it while we've been working on more foundational aspects of the plugin (i.e. fixing bugs, making sure it works).

Coming from an SEO background and a WordPress user myself, I understand the importance of page speed and would feel the same frustration you're all feeling.

I'm looking into this and will round up the teams who own those different scripts. We'll figure out a solution to make sure your hard work of optimizing your website wasn't a waste of time. I know this has been a long time coming and appreciate the patience.

edsvcs

SOLVE

Any news on this? We are very concerned about the significant number of scripts that are loaded and executed on every page load, including what appears to be chain reactions of other libraries being loaded and executed from Google and Facebook that are not otherwise required by our site. How do we make the HubSpot plugin smarter and more modular so it only loads what is needed?

ReneeB
Participant

SOLVE

@davidlykhim Any updates on fixes to the plugin?  Checking in since it's been about 2 months since your update.  

marksullivan
Participant

SOLVE

We're just getting started with HubSpot and are building out a new website, to which we just added the HS tracking code. Our crazy fast page speed of our staging site took a significant hit after we added the code. I should note that we are not using Wordpress for the new site, rather we decided to go with Webflow--all for speed reasons. 

I'm a bit shocked that the HubSpot code would cause this much of a slow down. I'm now wondering if it makes sense to buy *another* tool or tools to avoid this slowdown, which is crazy because the entire reason we went with HubSpot was because we wanted to reduce the complexity of our martech stack. 

It would be great to know if this is being actively prioritized by the dev teams at HS responsible for the tracking code.

ReneeB
Participant

SOLVE

We have spent a ton of time working on our page speed as well and experiencing frustration with HubSpot and HubSpot chat slowing our page load speed on a WordPress site.  It got worse when we added the chatbot.  Is there an update to this?  Is there an expected date?  I have read through many threads in the community with the same topic and this seems to be the one response that acknowledges the problem and that a fix is coming.   This is killing our SEO.

Martinebr

SOLVE

We have just implemented the chatbot from Hubspot and have seen our site speed slow way down. 

Any progress on this? Our site is also significantly affected. How does this get escalated at Hubspot?

dcha

SOLVE

Any progress?

0 Upvotes