Second Chance Enquiries - Salesforce

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

We have a conundrum that we cannot work out a simple solution for.

When we get a new Lead through Hubspot we get alerted in Salesforce with a new Lead record. Sometimes it goes through our process even to Opportunity stage but then for some reason or other does not sign up with us. The Lead, contact, account, opportunity etc details remain in Salesforce.

In many situations this customer may come back to us later as their circumstances may have changed or our product improved etc and they use the usual enquiry form on the website. This time the contact already exists in the system so we don't get any new records and hence its difficult to 1/ know that they have come back and are interested again and 2/ have the stats in the system we usually do (eg no secong MQL) as no record is created.

Could anyone shed any light on how you deal with this situation? Is it just us or is this a Hubspot thing?

Thanks in advance of any help :-)

Anthony Hewitt

Brightpearl

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Esteemed Advisor

Hi, @aghewitt. This is a use case that the Sales product alone won't handle. If you're also using the Marketing product, you can create workflows in HubSpot that will help give you the visibility you need. (For example, you could create a workflow that fires an email to the Salesforce record owner when any form is submitted, and Salesforce Lead ID or Salesforce Contact ID exists.)

If you're not using the Marketing product, you can achieve similar results with Salesforce-side automation. Using Process Builder to fire when tasks are created by HubSpot, notifying the related lead/contact's owner (or doing other data manipulation instead) is probably your most fruitful option.

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Thanks

Whilst this sorts out the processing problem it does not give us the correct stats. In an ideal world we would have a second lead in SFDC and if this progressed would merge to existing Account but with new opportunity to give us all the stats. So far we have not found a way of acheiving this.

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

You're not going to be able to get a repeat lead in Salesforce. With HubSpot, the email acts as unique identifier. A HubSpot contact will sync to one and only one Salesforce lead or contact with a matching email; editing a record with a duplicate address in Salesforce changes this association. 

As a result, repeat form submissions using the same email will just be appended to the existing HubSpot contact, and a new activity is written to the Salesforce record it had synced to previously. 

Salesforce web-to-lead forms will give you the create-a-new-record-in-Salesforce-on-every-submission functionality you're looking for, but since any submissions would go to Salesforce first, and not HubSpot, you lose HubSpot analytics. If this is a tradeoff you don't want to make, it becomes an exercise of leveraging HubSpot or Salesforce automation to notify key figures (or update relevant data) when repeat form submissions occur. You will not have the ability to have HubSpot create duplicate records with matching email addresses. 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

That confirms my thoughts and explains it well.

Thank you for talink the time to explain this and halp us out - much appreciated

Regards

Anthony

Occasional Contributor

Hi B, thank you for your detailed explanation. I too am experiencing the same issues from an instance that I inherited. When a customer comes back to HS and fills out another form, we lose visibility if their lifecycle stage is already SQL or Customer.

Would it be best practice to clear the lifecycle stage and reapply (MQL or SQL) in HS through a workflow so that we can still accurately report funnel metrics?
Also, we currently sync SQLs to SF.  SF then uses our territory mappings to send the sales-ready lead to our distributors based on PMA.  Sometimes multiple distributors are in one PMA and the initial lead gets sent to multiple first.  In this use case would the second form submission only notify the current opportunity owner? (In theory, I guess this would still be effective for the customer who may have an established relationship with a certain distributor, however, the business can be cut-throat and customers change distributors based on install pricing).

I hope this wasn't confusing and thanks in advance for your response.

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

Hi, @sbinkley. Those are good questions, but a lot of them sound business-specific. I'll try as best I can.

In general, you may want to consider mapping the HubSpot property of Number of Unique Forms Submitted to Salesforce. This probably won't work well if your use case involves old records submitting the same form more than once, but it could be valuable if submissions per form per contact are singular. This is somethig which would only aid with visibility in Salesforce, and not any automation relating to lifecycle stages or other default properties in HubSpot.

It sounds like you have an inclusion list where only SQLs sync to Salesforce. I would not recommend any HubSpot or Salesforce workflow automation on re-submit that bumps someone down the funnel to MQL, as this would remove the record from the inclusion list entirely and stop syncing to Salesforce. [If applicable, an easy augment to your inclusion list is to include two OR conditions, where Salesforce Lead ID is known or Salesforce Contact ID is known. This ensures that, once syncing, records synced to Salesforce do not get inadvertently removed from the list.]

As for how to notify your distributors and partners, you may want to include the HubSpot or Salesforce create date, and/or the Number of Unique Forms Submitted value, so they can judge for themselves whether this is a new lead, or something which has reconverted on a form. Alternately, you may want to update your existing automation so that it only fires on SF lead create, or will not fire if Number of Unique Forms Submitted is greater than 1.