Sales Integrations

MHime

Salesforce lead duplication

We have a single Salesforce instance associated with Hubspot and have a number of leads created 2,3,4 sometimes 5 times by the integration user on the same day.  I don't understand how this can be happening,  does anyone have any suggestions?

Further information:

The duplication occurs from HubSpot → Salesforce.

All the data is the same (of particular note is the email address,  definately the same),  except the createddate is not an exact match,  maybe 10s apart

The records are all created by the hubspot integration user.

The setup is almost brand new and the issues I'm refering to only seem to have occurred in the first 2 days - alas I had nothing to do with any of the development ,  it's been dumped on me - I'm wondering if they were doing something odd initially.

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
RBozeman
Participant

Hi @MHime,

Have a few questions to learn more. Are the duplicates being created from Salesforce → HubSpot, or from HubSpot → Salesforce?

Can you tell if the duplicate records are synced with anything between the two platforms?

These leads are exact duplicates? Same email address and everything? HubSpot deduplicates Salesforce leads and contacts by email address. Having the same name, or other matching fields in Salesforce, this is not considered as duplicate records by HubSpot

If you have duplicate Salesforce records with the same email address, and the contact is being created for the first time in HubSpot, HubSpot will search Salesforce for lead/contact records with that email address. Salesforce will return all records that match, and HubSpot syncs with the first record returned. So that would leave the duplicates there, if that was what was happening. 

When you merge duplicates in Salesforce  directly, you have to make sure that it results in merging all duplicates into a master record that is syncing with HubSpot. If you merge into the wrong record, the sync would become broken.

Additionally, and full transparency here I work for Insycle, but I think it may be useful for helping you to clean up some of these duplicates. Insycle allows you to bulk merge duplicates across HubSpot and Salesforce while keeping the sync active for the records and merging down into a consistent master record across both platforms. 

I'll keep an eye out for your answers and see if I can help 🙂

Ryan

MHime

Hi Ryan,

I've updated the original information.  I'm not seeing any repetition of the problem,  but,  if you have any insight I'd still be interested to hear it.

0 Upvotes
TrujayJay
Top Contributor | Elite Partner
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

Hey @MHime ! That's a really interesting issue you're running into. My immediate thought is that it could be a permissions issue where HubSpot is creating the Lead in SF but can't see it because it doesn't have the right permissions.

The other thought is that maybe there's a workflow running in SF that could somehow automatically be duplicating the Leads, but that seems less likely.

We often troubleshoot the SFDC/HS sync for customers and would be happy to help if you'd like an extra pair of eyes on it.

Trujay | Noah Hendricks
MHime

Interesting regarding permissions,  but,  the records are owned by the integration user.  That said,  I have discovered that the original set up looks incomplete (no sharing rule for a selective setup) and the lead assignment rules may also be causing problems.  However,  the problem only appears for the first 2 days of this process running and has not reoccurred.

0 Upvotes