Salesforce field mapping

Highlighted
New Contributor

In the standard mapping field 'Company Name' in Hubspot is mapped to a field called 'Company' in Salesforce, however, this does not exist in Salesforce - the field is Account Name.

I've tried creating a custom mapping but Account Name is not available to pick.

All other parts of our integration is working perfectly but the company names are not being captured in HubSpot when a new entry is created in Salesforce.

Can anyone help?

0 Upvotes
11 Replies 11
Esteemed Advisor

Hi, @Ang_C. You'll want to review this help article detailing these fields.

The standard Company Name field appears as a contact property. When you convert a lead in Salesforce, the Company name is used to either create, or attach to, an account instead. The actual value of the Company Name field isn't a string any more - it's the ID representing the account record. 

Once you convert a Salesforce lead, any Salesforce account information would appear as a company property in HubSpot, not a contact property. If you haven't turned on account sync, then company properties may not be visible (or matching) in your HubSpot portal. 

Put differently, when you convert a Salesforce lead, the company info is no longer a field on the converted contact - it changes objects. The data effectively changes objects in HubSpot, too. Instead of the contact property of Company Name, you'd need to look at the company property of Name, after you convert. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

@bradmin I was just investigating this same question. Appreciate the answer, but have a follow up question. If I'm creating a list of contacts for an email in Hubspot, I can't see the correct associated Company Name. I do see a field for Company Name, but that is often blank because it's only going to show up if the contact was a some point a lead.  So My question is, how do I get their associated company to show up in the list?

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

The associated company won't show up in the list of contacts. You can use company properties as part of your list criteria, but only contacts which have that company properrty criteria will appear in the list. 

Put differently, you can have list criteria touch as many objects as you want, but only one kind of object is returned in the list. 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

@bradmin Sorry probably asked the wrong question. The columns in the list don't have the Company Information option. Maybe that's a different question topic.

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

I'm probably a little confused, too. There's the contact property Company Name - that maps to the standard field on leads in Salesforce. When that lead is converted into a contact in Salesforce, the Company Name value is used to create the name of the associated account. In HubSpot, this effectively becomes a company property on lead conversion in Salesforce. 

If you have a HubSpot list which contains both Salesforce leads and contacts, you'll need both the HubSpot contact property Company Name, along with the HubSpot company property Account Name, in your list or list filters. If something in Salesforce is still a lead, it won't have the associated company information on it in HubSpot, unless there's been some sort of manual association on the HubSpot side. 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

The lists I was referencing are the email lists you create under the Contacts drop down. Those don't give you the option to add Associated Company to the columns. When you build a regular contacts list, you do have that option to add that column.  

We find it helpful to see the company on those email lists just as an additional visual check to see if there are any we should remove from a particular list.

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

Sorry, I definitely misunderstood. There won't be an in-app way to display lists containing company information. You'll have options from Contacts>Companies for just company info, or you can always export lists with contact and company properties. There is no option which will display contact information with associated company information on screen. You either need to drill down into individual contacts to see that, or export your list instead.

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

I have a similar question with a twist.

First, we're moving away from using Lead Records in SF.  We'd prefer to deal right from contacts.  Lots of reasons we do that (niche market, multiple contacts, history, etc)  

We have a field on our forms called Organization.  We also know that the Hubspot Name field maps to Account Name in SF, but how can I get Organization (custom field) to do the same?  not everyone who completes a form has an email address that identifes their org (or they may be representing another org for their inquiry).

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

Hi, @DebT. It is possible to override standard mappings, although I don't think the specific mapping you're asking about is going to work the way you want it to. 

First, on overriding standard mappings: Simply create a custom mapping where the destination Salesforce field is the same one as in the standard mapping. Set the update rule on the standard mapping so that only Salesforce updates HubSpot, or disable it entirely, then set the desired update rule on the custom mapping.

As for mapping Company Name from HubSpot to the account name in Salesforce, the Account Name field is actually an ID field in Salesforce, representing the ID of the account record it refers to. If we try passing a text value from HubSpot representing the name, the Account ID field won't understand it.

In order to make this work, you'd want to map the name property from HubSpot to a custom Salesforce contacts field, then write custom Apex in Salesforce which does some sort of looking up for account records based on that mapping. The code would then populate the ID that the Account Name field is looking for.

Without Apex, you could try creating some sort of workflow which passes newly-created contacts without accounts into a placeholder account, but it would still require some user(s) reassigning those contacts from the placeholder account to where they're intended. This is not a use case you'll be able to scale using only administrative tools; Salesforce development is required to have HubSpot create contacts by default in Salesforce in an effective way.

New Contributor

Thanks @bradmin!  I figured it was more complex,  and not sure it's worth our time to make those changes.  The productivity gains by circumventing the lead process is so minimal that any other flows added layer in complexity that won't necessarily give us any improvements.  Please let me know if I'm missing something there with my conclusion - feedback and best practices are always welcome!

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

I get the tradeoff, and it's not an easy one for orgs who have use cases for contacts on create. Since you'll be using the defaults of leads, you may want to look into mass lead conversion tools on Salesforce's AppExchange (fair warning: the free tools which do this are a mediocre lot, so caveat emptor). These tools, while usually fairly crude in nature, can make quicker work of converting more than one lead at a time.

0 Upvotes