Sales Integrations

janetwhite
Participant

Salesforce auto-creating custom fields in HubSpot Companies

SOLVE

Hi - I'm new to HubSpot but have a lot of experience with Salesforce. I'm having an issue where when I enable the Company sync it will create fields that are on the Salesforce Account in HubSpot that I haven't mapped and map them for me. 

I set up the HubSpot Salesforce integration and have been able to sync Hubspot contacts as leads and contacts in Salesforce without too much issue. Every time that I enable the company sync, though, even after I've explicitly mapped the fields in HubSpot that I want to sync in Salesforce, if there are fields that I didn't map, those fields get auto-created in HubSpot and mapped to the Salesforce fields. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to stop this from happening? The HubSpot administrator is not happy with these fields suddenly appearing. Do I literally have to map every single field in Salesforce and then disable that mapping?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @janetwhite. What you're seeing is the expected behavior when you enable some new object sync from Salesforce. All fields on that object that are visible to the integration user's profile are automatically created as mappings. This is true of both standard and custom fields.

You can remove the extraneous mappings and properties after setting this up. Alternately, you can remove the visibility of unwanted fields from the integration user's profile. This isn't really recommended, but it's feasible if you have it well-documented and communicated which Salesforce account fields don't exist as HubSpot company properties.

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @janetwhite. What you're seeing is the expected behavior when you enable some new object sync from Salesforce. All fields on that object that are visible to the integration user's profile are automatically created as mappings. This is true of both standard and custom fields.

You can remove the extraneous mappings and properties after setting this up. Alternately, you can remove the visibility of unwanted fields from the integration user's profile. This isn't really recommended, but it's feasible if you have it well-documented and communicated which Salesforce account fields don't exist as HubSpot company properties.

janetwhite
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you, Brad! I thought I was losing it. This is really helpful and makes sense - I used my own Sys admin account and have access to all those fields.

So - if I understand you correctly, once I enable the Company mapping and delete the mappings that HubSpot has created for my custom fields (and delete the related properities), as long as I keep Company sync enabled the app will not create those mappings again for me?

I'm hoping that is the case because I don't want to waste a Salesforce license on a specific integration user that has limited access to fields.

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE
The mappings shouldn't get recreated after delete. It sounds like what you experienced was a function of enabling and reenabling account sync.

As a test, find an undesired mapping and property, then delete them out of HubSpot. Find a Salesforce account that's been syncing, and change a value on a field whose mapping you deleted. Every 15 minutes, all Salesforce changes push into HubSpot. If you don't see any new mappings 15 minutes after you made the change in Salesforce, you're all set.