Sales Integrations

mayhem9
Participant

Salesforce Field mapping best practices

SOLVE

We are replacing Autopilot with Hubspot for our marketing Automation connected to Salesforce.  We already have fields like "MQL Date".  I noticed that the setup created this field in Hubspot; however, there is already a field "Marketing Qualified Lead".  Should I:

a) Use this custom field in Hubspot and just ignore the default Marketing Qualified Lead-- eg. standard fields don't have much native functionality; or,

b) Map Marketing Qualified Lead to SFDC MQL Date and then delete the custom field in Hubspot called MQL Date.  ie. standard functionality fields are very important.

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thanks @PamCotton 

Hi @mayhem9 It's your choice. If it's working for you, then you might continue using it. You can map any fields to SFDC.

However, in this case, I'd suggest using HubSpot standard contact properties. Because, when a lead becomes MQL, HubSpot automatically sets the Became a marketing qualified lead date. Also, please note that Marketing Qualified Lead is a lifecycle stage (HubSpot contact property: Lifecycle Stage). Became a marketing qualified lead date is a contact property itself. 

We've been using standard lifecycle stage and date, but we have created a custom property for Lead Status. 

Thanks.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost

View solution in original post

LaurenRyan
Solution
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Agreed with @Aakar! For the date fields updated in HubSpot using the lifecycle stage changes, you're not able to update the date manually with import anyway so it would be hard to use that for historical data. This article may be helpful.

To your point about not using Lifecycle Stage, @mayhem9, I recommend that all Salesforce customers use Lifecycle Stages as it helps delineate because leads, contacts, and customers. HubSpot will assign a Lifecycle Stage whether you decide to strategically use it or not, so it's best to take advantage of it! I usually have Lifecycle Stage = Lead if Salesforce Lead ID is known & Salesforce Contact ID is unknown & Lifecycle Stage is not more advanced than Lead. If lead qualification is in place, I automate the progression of Lifecycle Stage to match (MQL + SQL) and then use customer, opportunity, and other accordingly. Regardless of how you define it, I'd recommend considering the use of Lifecycle Stages. 🙂 

PS - thanks @PamCotton for the tag!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
mayhem9
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks @LaurenRyan.  You changed my mind.  That makes a lot of sense.

Much appreciated.

LaurenRyan
Solution

SOLVE

Agreed with @Aakar! For the date fields updated in HubSpot using the lifecycle stage changes, you're not able to update the date manually with import anyway so it would be hard to use that for historical data. This article may be helpful.

To your point about not using Lifecycle Stage, @mayhem9, I recommend that all Salesforce customers use Lifecycle Stages as it helps delineate because leads, contacts, and customers. HubSpot will assign a Lifecycle Stage whether you decide to strategically use it or not, so it's best to take advantage of it! I usually have Lifecycle Stage = Lead if Salesforce Lead ID is known & Salesforce Contact ID is unknown & Lifecycle Stage is not more advanced than Lead. If lead qualification is in place, I automate the progression of Lifecycle Stage to match (MQL + SQL) and then use customer, opportunity, and other accordingly. Regardless of how you define it, I'd recommend considering the use of Lifecycle Stages. 🙂 

PS - thanks @PamCotton for the tag!

mayhem9
Participant

SOLVE

I also learned that Marking Qualified Date is an automation populated field based on the lifecycle field, so in my case where I will not be using lifecycle, I need to keep the customer MQL Date.

Thanks All

Aakar
Key Advisor

SOLVE

That's perfect @mayhem9 

However, you need to make sure when your lead becomes MQL (custom property), the HubSpot MQL date gets updated, either via SFDC or via workflows. Otherwise, HubSpot won't be able to create/update the MQL date. 

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @mayhem9 happy Friday, wanted to add some top experts to this conversation @Aakar @LaurenRyan what would you recommend to @mayhem9 matter?

Thank you and have a great weekend. 

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Thanks @PamCotton 

Hi @mayhem9 It's your choice. If it's working for you, then you might continue using it. You can map any fields to SFDC.

However, in this case, I'd suggest using HubSpot standard contact properties. Because, when a lead becomes MQL, HubSpot automatically sets the Became a marketing qualified lead date. Also, please note that Marketing Qualified Lead is a lifecycle stage (HubSpot contact property: Lifecycle Stage). Became a marketing qualified lead date is a contact property itself. 

We've been using standard lifecycle stage and date, but we have created a custom property for Lead Status. 

Thanks.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist