Sales Integrations

krjoly
Participant

Hubspot - Salesforce Ownership for Activity Sync

SOLVE

Hello, 

Our company is exploring syncing some marketing-based Hubspot activities (forms submitted, email viewed) to Salesforce as tasks for our Account Executive or Client Success Managers to follow-up with their clients on (AEs and CSMs work in SFDC, not Hubspot). In reading through the documentation, I'm a little confused by one of the ownership rules so hoping someone can clarify: 

• If the activity owner is not mapped to a user in Salesforce or if the activity does not have an owner (e.g., marketing email sent), HubSpot syncs across the object owner to the Assigned to field in the corresponding Salesforce task, only if the object owner is mapped to a user in Salesforce: I'm confused by the use of the word "object". That's a term I use for Salesforce, not Hubspot, so is this saying that if the activity owner isn't already mapped nor activity doesn't have an owner, the task will be assigned to the Salesforce object owner? Or the Hubspot object owner?

My gut tells me it assigns to the Hubspot object owner. I want everything to be assigned to the Salesforce Account or Contact owner since we don't use the Hubspot ownership fields as it's only our Marketing Automation system.  

Thanks for any clarification! 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
StefaniUAT
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @krjoly,

HubSpot will often refer to activities and such on a HubSpot's contact timeline as an object. I can speak from personal experience that it is a best practice to ensure HubSpot and SalesForce owners match. If you are not paying per user, it behooves you to keep the data between both CRMs as consistent as possible. If you have owners in one or the other that is deactivated, for example, I would move the contact owner and all assigned activities to a user that will match when synced between the two CRMs. 

You also have capabilities in both CRMs to find and report on tasks, emails, etc. that are unassigned. 

If you aren't using contact owners the same way in HubSpot that you are in SalesForce, you will want to ensure that SalesForce's owner is the Master property in the integration settings. 

Best,
Stefani Johnson
Defect and Database Administrator
University of Advancing Technology
uat.edu I Earn Tech Respect

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
StefaniUAT
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @krjoly,

HubSpot will often refer to activities and such on a HubSpot's contact timeline as an object. I can speak from personal experience that it is a best practice to ensure HubSpot and SalesForce owners match. If you are not paying per user, it behooves you to keep the data between both CRMs as consistent as possible. If you have owners in one or the other that is deactivated, for example, I would move the contact owner and all assigned activities to a user that will match when synced between the two CRMs. 

You also have capabilities in both CRMs to find and report on tasks, emails, etc. that are unassigned. 

If you aren't using contact owners the same way in HubSpot that you are in SalesForce, you will want to ensure that SalesForce's owner is the Master property in the integration settings. 

Best,
Stefani Johnson
Defect and Database Administrator
University of Advancing Technology
uat.edu I Earn Tech Respect
krjoly
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks @StefaniUAT . I'll see what I can do and will look into the "Master property" that you mentioned - haven't heard/seen that anywhere before. To be honest, we've done the owner sync between the systems before and it chaotic, at best, which is why we stopped. Both systems continued to override each other and it proved more hassle than it was worth. 

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @krjoly 

Thank you for reaching out. That is indeed the HubSpot Object Owner - I want to tag some of our experts to see if they can think of some alternatives here - @Aakar @MeginVA @StefaniUAT do you have any thoughts to share with @krjoly on this? 

Thank you

Best, 

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes