Google Calendar integration permissions: Why???

SOLVE
Stobber
Participant

I just tried to connect HubSpot CRM to my Google Calendar account. Google warned me of the list of permissions HubSpot was requesting.

permissions.png

Looks like HubSpot wants access to everything I do in my company through G Suite. Why do you need access to my Drive, all my email, my Spreadsheets, etc just to sync with my calendar?

I want to use more integrations, but I'm not ready to give you a camera and lift up my skirt, so to speak.

42 Replies 42
PamCotton
Community Manager

Hello @Goulven when you mention being stuck and can't connect, could you please provide us more details on where you are getting stuck and what steps you took so far? Could you please ensure you are following the steps on this article here?  The more information, screenshots, and details you can provide, the better I can advise on the next steps.

Thank you.

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
Goulven
Participant

Yes, of course. Here are the details of what I did and what happened:

1. Login to Hubspot using "Connect with Google"
  2. Going to Sales > Meetings
  3. Click on "Connect your Google calendar"
  4. Confirm modal clicking "Connect your calendar"
  5. Confirm again clicking "Accept and connect to Google"
  6. In the Google page, I pick my user account
  7. Then, I click on "Authorize"
  8. This redirects me to Hubspot with the following error message: "Sorry. There was an issue connecting to your account. Please try again or contact support"

IMHO, this is an OAuth issue due to the scope of authorizations required. As I said, I have a Google account created using my company email address. But I don't have Gmail service.

In few words: having a Google account does not mean having Gmail.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager

Hello @Goulven, checking your email associated with your Community account I can see an error trying to connect your inbox, the connected inbox's connection type does not match the correct connection type. You must reconnect your inbox as a different inbox type. You can reconnect by going to connect a new inbox, under the correct email provider, with the same email address. That will convert it into the new inbox type. This may be the reason why you are seeing this error since the inbox is not matching with gmail. 

This article here: Set up the meetings tool; when you connect a calendar to the meetings tool, the associated inbox will connect in your email integration settings. You may want to work with your IT team to ensure you have a Gmail email connected in order to connect your calendar.

Kindly,

Pam

0 Upvotes
Goulven
Participant

Thanks for your answer @PamCotton but, I don't have a Gmail account. Having a Google account does not mean having Gmail.

My company uses ProtonMail as mail provider (end-to-end encrypted mails). Thus, Hubspot will never have access to my inbox.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager

Hello @Goulven, as the article above mentions: When you connect a calendar to the meetings tool, the associated inbox will automatically connect in your email integration settings. However, once your calendar is integrated, you can disable the inbox connection without disabling the calendar connection.

As I see an error while you trying to connect your inbox in HubSpot you will need to ensure this inbox is connected correctly first before connecting your calendar. 

If you connect a google calendar to meetings, it will also connect and enable that inbox in your email integrations.

Kindly,

Pam

Goulven
Participant

Hello @PamCotton,

I followed your instructions and tried to reconnect my inbox.

Here is the technical error stack:

GmailSubscriptionError{type=INITIAL_WATCH, error=googleApiErrorForApiRequest(GoogleApiError{error=ErrorBody{errors=[Error{domain=global, reason=failedPrecondition, message=Mail service not enabled}], code=400, message=Mail service not enabled}})}

This error message totally makes sense as I don't have Gmail service. I'm using ProtonMail, an end-to-end encrypted email service.

I tried to delete the inbox and recreate it, but I got the same error.

It seems like Hubspot is incompatible with services like ProtonMail. Do you confirm?

Do you know another CRM I could use instead?

Regards,

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager

Hello @Goulven, I was not able to see the error on our end while trying to connect the inbox, but here is some more information about ProtonMail.

You will be able to connect your ProtonMail inbox to HubSpot. While it's not natively possible to connect a ProtonMail inbox, as it doesn't allow for inbox connections via IMAP and SMTP, there is a ProtonMail Bridge that would enable you to connect your inbox to HubSpot this way. But, do note that this is only available with a paid ProtonMail subscription.

Kindly,

Pam

0 Upvotes
Goulven
Participant

Hello @PamCotton ,

ProtonMail Bridge is installed locally and decrypts mails for app installed locally such as Outlook or Thunderbird. So, you're telling me that HubSpot has a desktop client? I'm interested, where can I download it?

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager

Hey @Goulven just to clarify, 

Goulven
Participant

@PamCotton,

Did you read the ProtonMail Bridge documentation? IMAP/SMTP settings provided by ProtonMail Bridge are for local only: 127.0.0.1.

outlook2019_win_p2.png

Please tell me how HubSpot is supposed to reach this IP address?

Unless deploying this bridge on a dedicated server and exposing ports 1025/1143, but I definitely won't do that.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager

Hello @Goulven I just confirmed with our team, and you are correct, those are local IPs that won’t work with our IMAP inbox connection. Your IMAP and SMTP servers need to be accessible over the public internet in order to connect with HubSpot. We cannot advise you further on the technical implementation.

Kindly,

Pam

AllanG
Member | Gold Partner

I cannot belive this isn't solved yet. Can someone please give the simple reason. Is it: 

1. You can't technically figure out how to do it? (Which shouldn't be the case, because comapnies like Zoom only need access to Google Calendar - not the entire suite)

2. You don't care that this is a major concern to customers?

3. It's just easier to only ask once for permission to Google?

4. The access to more data is more important than customer concerns?

I feel lke it has to be one of those answers...but if not, please let us know. This one hurdle is stopping many companies from fully utilizing the features of the platform, and also just feels like a data overeach for no legitimate reason (again, unless you're telling us it's just not technically possible) - in that case, can we schedule a call with the Zoom tech team?

dwf
Participant

Two years later and this is still an open issue? One of the reasons for buying into Hubspot was an "all-in-one" solution. Now I need to use Calendly (which does not require access to everything). One or two more caveats like this and my company will find an alternative to Hubspot.   

0 Upvotes