Sales Integrations

Stobber
Participant

Google Calendar integration permissions: Why???

SOLVE

I just tried to connect HubSpot CRM to my Google Calendar account. Google warned me of the list of permissions HubSpot was requesting.

permissions.png

Looks like HubSpot wants access to everything I do in my company through G Suite. Why do you need access to my Drive, all my email, my Spreadsheets, etc just to sync with my calendar?

I want to use more integrations, but I'm not ready to give you a camera and lift up my skirt, so to speak.

1 Accepted solution
jennysowyrda
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Stobber,

This document outlines some of what you are looking for. 

If you use the 'Gmail and Outlook Integration' with the Sales Hub product, we will have access to certain information associated with your email account and will use some of this information to provide the Sales Hub product services. We may store and use your email data, such as the distribution lists (for example, the "to", "from", "cc", and "bcc" fields), the subject lines, and the URLs of tracked links from your emails in order to provide the Sales Hub product. If you use the "Send Later" feature in the Sales Hub product, we will store the bodies of the emails (along with the associated attachments) that you schedule to send in order to provide this feature to you. You must connect your inbox to the Sales Hub product in order to use the "Send Later" feature. If you use the 'Gmail and Outlook Integration', the Sales Hub product will scan the content of your outgoing emails to identify which emails you've elected to track in order to provide you with the notifications feature. If you opt to use our template building tools, the Sales Hub product will scan the content of your sent emails to identify possible templates for use by Users of your HubSpot account. By using the 'Gmail and Outlook Integration' with the Sales Hub product, you grant us the right to access and use your information and data as described in this section. If you do not agree to the terms in this section, you should not use the Sales Hub product.

The intent of having all those permissions is so that if you ever want to use features across HubSpot that use that data, you wouldn’t need to reconnect your gmail account. We understand that some users want more scoping around permissions, and that’s something that the team plans to tackle this year. From myself and the team who is in charge of this product: we hear you, and we get it-- there are some limitations around what we can currently do now, but we hope to change that in the future. If you are unwilling to connect your account, we totally understand, and we can let you know when we have more defined connections in the future. 

Thank you,
Jenny

View solution in original post

53 Replies 53
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @zcashero,

Can you confirm that the email address you are looking to connect is hosted by Google or Office 365? Your inbox will need to be hosted by one of these providers in order for it to be compatible with the meetings tool.

For more information, I wanted to share this resource.

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
zcashero
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @jennysowyrda , no it is not hosted by Google or Office 365. That is exactly my use case that I am trying to make known here. I just want to use my Google Calendar, and not the email integration. The problem as I see it, is that there is no reason for the Google Calendar integration to rely on an email integration. A user should be able to integrate only  their Google Calendar and not their inbox.

From the documentation:

When you connect a calendar to the meetings tool, the associated inbox will connect in your email integration settings. However, once your calendar is integrated, you can disable the inbox connection without disabling the calendar connection.

So for some reason, it requires the inbox connection just to create the integration, and then it can be disabled after that. What I am requesting to be considered by the technical implementation team is that it doesn't require an inbox connection because I have no desire to host my emails on Google or Office 365.

Best,

Zach

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @zcashero,

Thank you for clarifying and sharing your feedback. 🙂 

Best,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
cognidox_vittal
Participant

SOLVE

I'd like to add my voice to the crowd saying these permissions are way too open for many people.

Manage the list of domains you control is needed for email access - really?

You really need to be able to cut down on the access rights required by the email/calendar integration.

Regards

Vittal

ronpe
Participant

SOLVE

that's very unfortunate. The blanket permission is a little too wide for my taste. You're essentially asking us to give full permission to a 3rd party to be able to have access to a LOT of information that is sometimes very sensitive information. In case that you will suffer an 'accidental security breach' or some of your staff forgets a laptop somewhere - my sensitve files in google drive are copied to the web forever... that's a little more than what my team is comfortable at the moment. 

There must be a better way. This is just a little too much.

richardsteven

SOLVE

Great to hear that this is being addressed.  Can you confirm that hubspot customers will be able to grant access to gmail and calendar but not provide access to Drive?  That is my main concern. 

Also can you please provide an update ETA as I am paying $$$ for hubspot and only using a fraction of the integrated functionality because of this security limitation.

Thanks in advance.

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @richardsteven,

Currently there is no timeline around changes to these permissions. This feedback has been passed along to the team, and if and when updates are available, they will be communicated with customers. 

Thank you,
Jenny

slieutaud
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Jenny,
any news on that feature ETA a year and a half after it was first requested ?
Thanks,

Morten_Olsson
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @jennysowyrda 

We're an IT-Operations and consultancy firm and our management has prohibited connection between HubSpot and our G-Suite because of the permissions that HubSpot needs.

The specific permissions that are definately a no-go are these:

"Read, compose, send and permanently delete all your email from Gmail"

"View and modify but not delete your email"

"See and download all your Google Drive files"

"See, edit, download and permanently delete all contacts"

"See, edit, create and delete your spreadsheets in Google Drive"

"See, edit, share and permanently delete all the calendars you can access using Google calendar"

The above list is basically an IT-Security professional's worst nightmare. Now, I appreciate that you are limited by Google's API and what that offers, but that doesn't really change our stance towards this 🙂

Please proiritize this highly.

Cheers

Morten Olsson

Marketing Manager and Business Development Manager

Netic A/S

Denmark

rw1982
Participant

SOLVE

In my opinion, it´s a critical thing to solve. I would love to share the calendar but I can´t accept full access to the Google Drive.

Stobber
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for the thorough follow-up. I really appreciate your effort. I would like more granularity with access permissions; I look forward to seeing those changes in the future.

CarolineG
Participant

SOLVE

I completely agree with Stobber. Granting this much access to our Google Drive is out of the question, and we haven't found a good work-around yet. More granularity is needed ASAP!!