Sales Integrations

Michele

Couples share emails

SOLVE

It is not uncommon for us to have a couple that shares the same email. In Salesforce it allows us to have 2 contact records with the same email address. Hubspot only allows one email address and seems to randomly attach to the contact record. i.e. Jose and Maria Martinez both have contact records in Salesforce with the email MartinezFamily@gmail.com

If Maria fills out a form with her name on it in Hubspot, it will link to Jose's record if he has the latest modify date. 

This is a BIG problem.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

Couples share emails

SOLVE

Hi, @Michele. With HubSpot, the email serves as the unique identifier, so there's no email sharing available between records. This is a behavior built in to the Salesforce connector, too - since HubSpot treats the email as unique, editing a duplicate email in Salesforce changes the association to the recently-edited Salesforce record. 

The best you'll be able to do is create a custom email field in Salesforce and map that to HubSpot (alternately, use a lookup to point to the associated record, or a lookup + calculated field to retrieve some meaningful value from the associated record). Even then, It's usually a lot of extra work and automation for not much gain.

HubSpot won't be able to just allow duplicates any time soon. There are a lot of behaviors which are built in to the contact's unique email on the HubSpot side, and it makes use cases like this frustrating.

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

Couples share emails

SOLVE

Hi, @Michele. With HubSpot, the email serves as the unique identifier, so there's no email sharing available between records. This is a behavior built in to the Salesforce connector, too - since HubSpot treats the email as unique, editing a duplicate email in Salesforce changes the association to the recently-edited Salesforce record. 

The best you'll be able to do is create a custom email field in Salesforce and map that to HubSpot (alternately, use a lookup to point to the associated record, or a lookup + calculated field to retrieve some meaningful value from the associated record). Even then, It's usually a lot of extra work and automation for not much gain.

HubSpot won't be able to just allow duplicates any time soon. There are a lot of behaviors which are built in to the contact's unique email on the HubSpot side, and it makes use cases like this frustrating.

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
0 Upvotes
csandilands
Participant

Couples share emails

SOLVE

The other consequence of this, which is super dumb, is that if someone moves company but we don't know their new email address yet, we cannot delete the old email. So we are forced to retain the old email although we know it doesn't work. Not good.

0 Upvotes