Sales Integrations

GFuller

Auto-fill State Based on Area Code of Phone Number

SOLVE

Hello, my marketing team has been running into a problem where HubSpot isn’t always able to find a contact’s state when auto-filling the rest of their information. I am hoping to create an automation that fills in the conatact's state based on the area code of the contact’s phone numbers we already have. There doesn’t look to be an easy way to set up such an automation in HubSpot, so I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a third-party tool that can be integrated with HubSpot or another HubSpot based solution that would make this possible? (I know I could just use vlookup in excel, but really need an automated system due to the volume of contacts we receive.) Thanks for any advice!

1 Accepted solution
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hi @GFuller,

I've never done this to set a state based on area code, but I have done similar types of updates using if/then statements.  You could create a series of workflows that enrolls based on area code and then use if/then branches to set the state. I believe there is still a limit of 20 branches per workflow so you'd have to create 5 different workflows. You can kick them to the next workflow if they don't meet any of the if/then criteria. If you're looking to do this outside of the US as well...I probably wouldn't consider this approach as it would take forever. There may be some better alternatives out there, but this would be better long-term over using a VLookup.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
ScottHemmeter
Participant

SOLVE

Hi, I realize this question is old, but I wanted to inform you that we have a solution for you. We had this same type of challenge and decided to build a HubSpot app for it. It's called VLOOKUP for Workflow and it just launched on the Marketplace today. It allows you to reference a Google Sheet or upload your own CSV data and use that source as a lookup table in HubSpot. You can then use the result downstream in your workflow. It's simple, scalable, and affordable.

In your example, you could keep a Google Sheet of Area codes to State and use VLOOKUP to grab that value.

2023-02-08_10-01-51.png

Josh
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @GFuller,

I've never done this to set a state based on area code, but I have done similar types of updates using if/then statements.  You could create a series of workflows that enrolls based on area code and then use if/then branches to set the state. I believe there is still a limit of 20 branches per workflow so you'd have to create 5 different workflows. You can kick them to the next workflow if they don't meet any of the if/then criteria. If you're looking to do this outside of the US as well...I probably wouldn't consider this approach as it would take forever. There may be some better alternatives out there, but this would be better long-term over using a VLookup.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

GFuller

SOLVE

Thanks for the reply! I wish there was a less time consuming way of accessing such a feature, but this did work so I appreciate the help. 

0 Upvotes