"Require Email" Checkbox in Documents

Deborah
Contributor

Hi all,

how does the checkbox: "Require email to view document" work? I try to test it and wrote an email to a test mail account (contact in HubSpot existing). Then I viewed the document, which had the checkbox "require email" checked, and there was no difference in the view between no checked or checked "require email".

I would appreciate, if someone could explain the standard functionality of this checkbox.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Deborah

7 Replies 7
edjusten
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Deborah . This HubSpot Academy help page explains how to use documents with the HubSpot Sales extension.  It explains that you can required recipients to enter their email prior to seeing the document. This adds an extra layer of security for your documents. I'm guessing that the reason you didn't need to enter your email address, is because you were in an email enviornent that recognized the address. 

Can you send to a friend of yours and have the freind open on a mobile device?

Ed 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Deborah
Contributor

Hi @edjusten,

I can understand your explanation about the functionality of the "require Email" checkbox. However, I tested it opening the document with another browser, clearing the cache and sending it to a friend who was opening the document with her mobile device. Every time I didn't need to enter an email adress prior to seeing the document. So I was thinking about why this checkbox is existing...

Best regards,

Deborah

0 Upvotes
dirkotten
Member | Partner

I have the same experience: I can not see a difference between sending a share-URL with a marked checkbox compared to sending it with an unmarked checkbox.

Therefore my question: Is there a difference or is this a malefunction?

0 Upvotes
chris-sk
Participant

I can also confirm this behavior. After checking the "Require email" box, I tried the shortlink link in a VM. The extended link has a route to what I assume is the doc ID and then an `accessId` parameter. The user in the VM did not require any email to view the document.

From my end it appears to be a bug.

0 Upvotes
Dogtag89
Participant

the reply marked as solution does not seem to be correct given the follow on comments. From the documentation it just seems to suggest that the clicks are tracked if "email required" checkbox is ticked. 

0 Upvotes
HaiGulneet

We have the same problem -  just uploaded doc and it allows access without asking for email address

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @HaiGulneet,

Are you still experiencing this issue? I am happy to assist if you are.

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes