Wild Document Tracking Times

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I have found that the document tracking timers are wildly inaccurate. What I mean by that is the if I open and read a page, It seem to correctly determine the results HOWEVER if the page is minimized or is a background application, the tracking does not pause the time, instead it keeps the time counting as if the person was actually reading the page (aka in foreground).

Because of this you receive wild results of how long someone is readying a page using document tracking.

To repro this follow these setups:

Create an email, to yourself.

Insert document

Send email

Read email and click pdf.

Go to page 2, start timer for 30 seconds.

Go to page 3, start timer for 30 seconds, minimize IE.

Go to Page 4, start timer for 30 seconds, put IE in the background so that you can’t see it.

Close the document.

Go to Hubspot and review the results.

You will see in each case that the pages appear to be viewed for 30 seconds, despite two pages being in the background.

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
Highlighted
HubSpot Employee

Hi @GarthMJ At this time our tracking function can't recognize if a page is in the foreground, background, or minimized. It's very similar to the "time on page" metric we've all loved and loathed since 1998. Yes, we know the page was opened and viewed, and yes we may wonder why the visitor spend 90 minutes reading the 800 words on that page, but ultimately it may have been caught up open in the 25 tabs the visitor had open at the time. 

Rather than concetrating on the total amount of the time open, maybe you could determine a medium time that you consider long enough for the visitor reasonbly consume and take action on your content, and make decision based on that.  

For example, if you determine your content is a 10 minute read, but visitors only have it open for two minutes, you might consider making an adjustment. 

Also, keeping in mind that .pdfs are easy to download and read later, you might be seeing skewed metrics leaning towards a shorter delta. 

Just a few things to think about when looking at the Document tracking metrics  Man Happy

Ed 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I hear you Ed.....

But in this day and age. You would think that you should be able to tell with a modern browser if a page is minimized or not. Just says....

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
HubSpot Employee

You would think that, yes. But I would also think that if there were a way to do that, we would either be on it, or have passed due to engineering issues. Again, the Ideas Forum and developers community are your best bet for getting answers. Our engineers mine the community for feature requests and improvement ideas, and will often answer direct questions regarding the inclusion of, or lack of, specific features. 

Cheers, Man Wink

Ed 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes