Sales Hub Tools

Petter
Contributor | Elite Partner

Update deal stage based on associated contacts sequence activity

Hi Community! 

I want to pick your brains here and see if this is a good workaround or if it's gonna fall flat like a pancake. 

Scenario: I want to enroll contacts that hits a certain deal stage in a sequence. If a contact replies to an email in this sequence I want the associated deal to be moved to another deal stage. If they don't reply they should be moved to yet another deal stage. The sequence contains three emails and runs over 10 business days. 

My solution so far: 

1. When the deal gets moved into that particular deal stage, a task is created automatically - notifying the sales rep that they should enroll the associated contact of that deal in the specific sequence.  We don't have Sales Enterprise so we can't enroll them with a workflow. 

2. I've created a workflow to determine whether or not a contact in the sequence has replied to an email or not, and there hence update the deal stage to a new one. You can see my workflow in the screenshots.

Skärmavbild 2022-04-01 kl. 15.34.16.pngSkärmavbild 2022-04-01 kl. 15.34.33.png

As enrollment triggers I've narrowed it down to if a contact is active in a sequence and associated with a deal in the correct deal stage. I can't figure out a better way to do it right now. 

And to determine whether or not they've replied to an email in the sequence I've chosen the properties you can see in if/then branch in the screenshots. . My hope is that this will catch that the sales email they've replied to is part of the sequence they've recently been enrolled in. I realize that this is not bullet proof :S

Any ideas on how to improve it? 

Final steps is to update the deal stage of the associated deal to the desired new one.

Question here: is HubSpot smart enough to only update deal stage of that particular deal that was used as enrollment trigger? Or with these steps update the deal stages of all the associated deals for that contact? 

I'd love to get your thoughts on this - if I'm on the right track here or if I'm fumbling in the dark 😉

3 Replies 3
RomyFuchs1
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Hi @Petter 
I have never set up a workflow like this before, but I think a few ideas from me will help you.

The triggers actually look pretty good to me. The only question is, if you have more than one sequence and all contacts enter the workflow, do you really process the right ones?
In order to rule out errors here, you can have the contacts that Sales should push into the sequence already included in a list in your first workflow and then use this list as a trigger for the workflow shown here.

The correct email should then be found in the if/than branch.

Regarding your deal question: If the recording trigger is a deal in a certain phase and no other deal is also in it, then theoretically only this deal should be moved on. Maybe you can create a test contact and check you workflow only with it.

Regards,

facebooktwitterlinkedininstagram
Romy Fuchs

Head of Marketing | HubSpot Trainer

BEE Digital Growth GmbH

+41 (0) 43 336 9003 | +49 (0) 711 49010128
r.fuchs@bee.digital
https://www.bee.digital/
Relenbergstraße 6, 70174 Stuttgart
Termin vereinbaren
Petter

Hi @RomyFuchs1 

Thank you for giving me your thoughts on this! That sounds like a good idea to use lists as a trigger instead. Because we did actually see that error you're referring to: a contact was enrolled in the WF because it was also enrolled in another sequence (not the right sequence though). 

I will create some testing deals and contacts to try this around before we go live. 

Cheers! 

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Petter Happy Monday!

Thank you for providing all the screenshots and details. I would like to invite our top experts to share their workaround ideas for this workflow  @jforte @RomyFuchs1 @Bryantworks any recommendations to @Petter matter?

thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !