Sales Hub Tools

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sequences Best Practices ...any tips?

SOLVE

Hey guys, I'm new to HubSpot Sales and am starting out with the sequences tool. Any tips / best practices on how to use the tool? What do folks here advise?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
kcooper
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

I live in sequences! They have made my joblife 1000% easier and more consistent. 

There are hardwired parameters of sequences (which can be found in this knowledgebase article), but beyond that the limit is your imagination, which can actually be quite daunting. 

Best practices with sequences are highly dependent on A) your job role, B) the action(s) you wish for the recipient to take, and C) the type of people you are communicating with and their buyers journey - but some are pretty universal.

• As Sequences are potentially composed of pre-written email templates, make sure you have created all of your template emails BEFORE starting to construct your sequence (otherwise you will have to keep flipping back and forth between HubSpot modules and eventually bang your head into a wall).
  • If you are going to be enrolling a large volume of people in concurrently running sequences, make sure that the task portion of your sequences is not so heavy that it overwhelms you and you are unable to stay on top of them.
    • That one is really important because A) your inbox will be flooded with task notifications, and B) what is the point of putting tasks in sequences if you KNOW you won't do them?

What is it that you do, and what type of interactions are you looking to put into a sequence? I could make this post a ton longer, but if I start talking about best practices for sequences that follow up sent contracts and you are looking for a sequence that is meant for someone with an unpaid invoice...you get my point...

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
Alysha_TW
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

I'll add a few more tips to KCooper's list:

1) Make a flowchart of your sales process and insert all the fucntions for when a Sequence COULD be used. Then you'll know how to automate more of your sales process. Happy to show you how we do that if you like. We have ID'd like 6 different points in a  sales process when a Sequence is ideal for reps, including to automate their follow up tasks and to build their "to call" list.

2) The "Now in Sequence" field is the only reporting field that will allow you to do a Customs Report (Contact vs Deals) in Hubspot to see how Sequences add value to your Closed Won deals. This is a gap but it's better than nothing. Make sure you set the filter to "Now in Sequence" "has ever been equal to true". And you should get some good data about the performance of ALL of your sequences. Unfortunately you cannot get more detailed Sequence to Money reporting on this yet  to split it out by sequence. But this is at least a start.

0 Upvotes
AKline360
Participant

SOLVE

I just started in HubSpot sequences and saw your post. I'd love to see your flowchart of your sales process with functions when a sequence could be used.  I'm also working to integrate sales sequences and marketing campaigns. Any tips would be appreciated.  

Alysha_TW

SOLVE

Hi @AKline360

Start with the Life cycle stages, deal stages and lead statuses of your sales process. As you start to draw it out, you'll see "this happens first" and you'll also see "This could happen, OR this could happen at this stage." That will tell you what's consistent across every Lead -- that's the stuff you can automate. You're welcome to reach out to me at Tangible Words and we can work through this together.

boldigital
Participant

SOLVE

I use sequences daily! I also recently wrote an article on how to use HubSpot Sequences to engage cold leads:

https://blog.boldigital.com/blog/my-favorite-paradox-inbound-sales-for-cold-leads

Added tip: Sign up for HubSpot's Sequences Unsubscription Beta so you can be sure you're not spamming your leads.

Best of luck!

0 Upvotes
kcooper
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

I live in sequences! They have made my joblife 1000% easier and more consistent. 

There are hardwired parameters of sequences (which can be found in this knowledgebase article), but beyond that the limit is your imagination, which can actually be quite daunting. 

Best practices with sequences are highly dependent on A) your job role, B) the action(s) you wish for the recipient to take, and C) the type of people you are communicating with and their buyers journey - but some are pretty universal.

• As Sequences are potentially composed of pre-written email templates, make sure you have created all of your template emails BEFORE starting to construct your sequence (otherwise you will have to keep flipping back and forth between HubSpot modules and eventually bang your head into a wall).
  • If you are going to be enrolling a large volume of people in concurrently running sequences, make sure that the task portion of your sequences is not so heavy that it overwhelms you and you are unable to stay on top of them.
    • That one is really important because A) your inbox will be flooded with task notifications, and B) what is the point of putting tasks in sequences if you KNOW you won't do them?

What is it that you do, and what type of interactions are you looking to put into a sequence? I could make this post a ton longer, but if I start talking about best practices for sequences that follow up sent contracts and you are looking for a sequence that is meant for someone with an unpaid invoice...you get my point...

ekim77

SOLVE

I am just getting started in sequences - what ACTUALLY starts the execution of the sequence? I don't see any buttons that says "start" or "schedule".  How do I schedule it for a certain time in the future?

0 Upvotes
1119ellie

SOLVE

Hello, 

I'm just getting into sequences and I'm sure you can answer my question quicker!

How do you enroll a large volume of contacts for a sequence?  I'm having issues locating such a tool.  It looks like I can only enroll them 1 at a time?  Can I upload a list and connect it to my sequence some how?

I know this is a basic question, but I need help!  Thanks.

0 Upvotes
JeremyHong
Contributor | Diamond Partner
Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

A little late, but in case you hadn't figured it out yet, you can enroll multiple contacts into a sequence by:

A) creating a list of all pertinent contacts and enrolling that list into the sequence, or

B) by going to Sequences, clicking on the specific sequence, and clicking "Enroll" at the top right and selecting "Enroll Multiple Contacts". 

Hope this helps!

1119ellie

SOLVE

Thank you Jeremy!

0 Upvotes
EddieMathews
Participant

SOLVE

Good tip. Thanks!

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Thanks @kcooper very much appreciated! For now we'll be using Sequences more as a means for follow-up after our live demos - super useful for our Reps. These tips are fantastic - look forward to getting started. 

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @Anonymous while I don't use this tool myself I know we have a super user among us - @kcooper is this a tool you use yourself?